- If a man has put a spell upon another man, and has not justified himself, the one who is charged with sorcery shall go to the holy river, he shall plunge into the holy river, and if the holy river overcomes him, his accuser shall take his estate. If the holy river shows that man to be innocent and has saved him, he who charged him with sorcery shall be put to death and the man who plunged into the river shall take the estate of him who brought the charge against him.
This is a place to keep track of unexcellent behavior and people who have been asked to leave Noisebridge so that the community has some way to police itself. Please date any entry made to this page. There is a limited time that this information is relevant.
If you ask someone to leave the space, please remember to first and foremost remain Excellent - respectful and calm but firm. If the decision to leave is contested, let them know they can come to a Tuesday night meeting at 8 pm to defend their actions. If they opt to do so, please also come to defend yours as well.
You sould sign your own name along with your description if you want your concerns taken seriously. Also please give dates of occurrences. Was the thing you are a describing a problem last night or 6 months ago? If you know the names of the nameless please revise the wiki accordingly.
Note: NOT Dan McArdle
Mid-20's, about 5'6", slightly stocky build, short goatee, buzzed hair; casually dressed (gray hoodie). Dan has been hanging out the past several nights and his behavior is a bit strange, suggesting mental illness or drug abuse. I've spoken to him about some specific inappropriate behaviors (an extended unexplained laughing jag, loud headphone singing while the space is totally quiet) and Miloh also expressed misgivings about his judgement related to use of the woodshop. Rayc also describes his behavior as "super sketch". Summary: if the guy is able to clean up his act or else solidly contribute, feel free to take down this notice; if he continues to exhibit problematic behavior, please document it here or address him directly. (Jesse Z, 4 March '12).
A few homeless folks started spreading the word that Noisebridge is a 24-hour hangout and drop-in center, whether or not sleep is permitted. With refrigerators where you can leave your food.
The following people have been accused of using Noisebridge as a crashpad and the general sentiment seems to be that they are not making the space more Excellent.
Oogles who have been recently sighted at the space.
Purple removed a vaporizer that was on the clearly marked member's shelves that was my property. When I saw him with it, he said that it was broken and I agreed to let him fix it. Then after he stole the hose from it to use on his own project. - Rayc. Updating the 86 page with his name as well.
- That guy who all he ever does is play guitar
- This person's name is Niles, and when I spoked to him all he ever talks about is playing guitar. It is rather peculiar that he stays here every single night to play his guitar, and make food. In addition I haven't seem him do much else besides hang out in the exact same place in the library using his laptop or playing his guitar. (Rayc)
- He talks occasionally about circuit hacking, but he's also pretty good at shoplifting from Whole Foods. He's on speaking terms with a couple of people who frequent the space. He's not a menace but it's pretty clear he's just here for the wireless and free food in the evenings.
- He's ALWAYS in the chair next to the bookshelves in the middle of the space. Asian. Is doing something on his netbook with headphones plugged in. I bet he's there right now.
- HE NEEDS TO STOP LEAVING HIS GUITAR AND NETBOOK HERE LIKE THIS IS HIS HOME. He left both of them in the library again. - RAYC
- NYLE SAYS: sorry that I exist, I am a terrible, evil person that deserves to be shot in the head.
- firstly, the "free food" thing is a flat out lie. 98% of the food I eat at noisebridge is courtesy of the government. the other 2% of the food I eat is raw meat and rocks I find laying around on the street.
- I have donated almost 2 dollars to noisebridge and have taken care to wash my dishes, lift the toilet seat, and recycle.
- PROJECTS I AM CURRENTLY WORKING ON:
- -a collection of poetry and short stories in the form of a zine.
- -a vending machine costume.
- -repairing the pickup selector on my gtr.
- I have zero interest in hacking or tech toys made by child slaves in china. I will take my shit elsewhere and probably leave san francisco within the next 10 days.
- Nyle hasn't been seen in the space since Saturday Feb 18 2012. He moved his guitar, guitar case and netbook. He should probably be required to recite poetry on the spot if sighted again.
- He's back in the space. I expect a @$#!*%# poetry zine by end of day.
- To be fair, he said he was leaving San Francisco. He never said he wasn't coming back.
- I told Nyle last night that while members of the general public are welcome for classes and events, we would prefer for people not to "hang out" afterhours unless they are working on projects of interest to the Noisebridge hacking community. He said that he had expected this sooner or later, and would start hanging out somewhere else. (Jesse Z, 1 March '12).
- Nyle is still coming back, saying he wants to use the electricity since his squat doesn't have any. He was kicked out when the space closed for the night. (Jesse Z, 2 March '12)
- Nyle has come to Noisebridge tonight at 11:18 in the evening, let's see if he is here for hacking purposes or just because Noisebridge has electricity.
- Moved to 86 (Jesse Z, 4 March '12)
Overweight (300lb?) mid-20's white male with blonde stubble, wears a dark knit cap. Jim entered the space with a "friend" and lingered around til dawn. When approached he immediately identified as "one of those Occupy people everyone hates" and complained angrily that "some people were allowed to sleep at Noisebridge" while others were forced to "stand up and move around" all night. I informed him that the space was exclusively for people working on projects and no sleeping was allowed whatsoever. Jim clearly had no purpose being there and I will definitely ask him to leave if I see him again. February 23 '12 (Jesse Z.)
If a person who arrives as an Oogle makes an attempt to integrate with the community and adopt an appropriate ethic and philosophy regarding excellent use of the space, of course we want to give that person a chance to prove themselves. We will allow the quality of the person's hacks to speak for itself.
- (edited by self) James Y (tall, goatee, black bandana)
- I have NOT been sleeping in the space. But I am a night owl.
- I; at heart; am a: Hacker, Scholar, Philosopher, Psychologist, Sociologist, Scientist, and anything else I choose to be.
- I did, essentially, plan to attend every class offered by the space, but, I have been very busy with other endeavors the space has assisted me with.
- I have purchased a Noisebridge T-Shirt to show my appreciation for what it stands for.
- I Have donated at least 4 lb.s of coffee. (n/m, i know) And bunch of tea that just disappeared.(I know it didn't go too far, lol.)
- I Also purchased dish soap twice now for the space at times when it was needed. (Again, wish it was more.)
- I have not used the space to store anything, less the projects I started, that were soon after, tossed or hacked by others.
- I squared off with Jon(athon) every step of the way as he made his attempts that ONE Saturday night, even when we all thought he really did have a gun. I stopped him from getting to the fire escape, restrained him with the help of Rayc and Derek to remove from him, his bags. Then I personally, and physically, removed him from the space via wrist/arm-lock and force.
- Confirmed User:SuperQ Was a great help in dealing with a violent issue at noisebridge. Glad to have him around.
- From most of the encounters that I've had with Jedi is that he comes in near or after midnight and leaves right as the sun comes out. - RAYC
- There was an incident where I had began to hack three old computer towers. After I was done for the night, I cleaned up, I put it all away. After only 12 hours, I returned to find that someone had taken up my hack and finished stripping most of it all that I needed, but they didn't clean up after themselves. So I not only lost my hack, I was blamed for their mess.
I DO try to associate with everyone, So guilty by lifestyle and association, I suppose. I am house-less, But I still have the passion to create, to learn, to dabble, and hack. I still know what respect is. Ending up on this list has halted my decision to join for the moment. I feel like I almost threw money away! I'm being called a Oogle? Excuse me, That is offensive! What happened to being excellent to each other?? -Jedi
- it is possible you have been unfairly maligned after we all freaked out with the mass number of hobo-ish folk who have planted down roots in our fairspace. I would be willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. My brethren may be of a similar mind. Come to Tuesday meeting and chill out. I appreciate you were able to help remove Jonathon without being stabbed.
- Jedi came to the tuesday meeting tonight to introduce himself, etc. --04:28, 22 February 2012 (UTC) User:Hurtstotouchfire
- guy with cane who isn't Zack
- Has not slept or stored stuff at the space in any way.
- Assisted with Removing Jonathon from the space
- Has been active in utilizing the space productively.
- Iraq War Veteran with two purple hearts. (edited by Jedi)
These folks have not been sighted recently and have perhaps moved to greener pastures. At some point these descriptions might be retired to an 87 page.
- Skinnyish, slightly stooped, 50 years old, curly brown hair to the shoulders, wears a golf-style cap and black jacket with Noisebridge sticker. I have often heard him engage in loud arguments and also inappropriate discussions. I overheard him giving a tour of the space today where he explained that Noisebridge "used to be" about communications and technology, but now it's about Occupy and making food in the kitchen. He lives close by and has a key. James refused to attend a Tuesday meeting to explain himself. (Jesse Z.)
- His loud and inane discussions and conversations (usually on the politics of homelessness) have caused me to seek out a quieter place to hack on at least two occasions. (Jonathan T.)
- I realize it's hard to define 'hacking'. I'm not sure if I'm much of a hacker. All I do is show up for a couple of classes a week. Last week I showed some guy how to insert Debian Stable into his laptop. Am I a hacker? Not sure. But I'm pretty sure showing up every day at 6 and cooking up a mess of free food for the Occupiers is farther from the definition of hacking.
- User:Hurtstotouchfire 05:33, 12 February 2012 (UTC): This evening I met Amber and her friend Nick and talked with her about sleeping in the space. She says that she's new to the community and that there have been false rumors spread about her. I got her email address and will chat with her a bit more later either electronically or in the space. Update: talked to Amber a little more that evening. She said that she objected to someone waking a sleeper once because she had just given the sleeper in question a massage and he dozed off. It was 4 or 5am at the time. I suggested that 4am massages might be more appropriate for someone's house since they tend to lead to sleeping, and sleeping is a really touchy issue in the space right now. Amber is not on the mailing list and didn't know about the wiki or the tuesday meeting. I encouraged her to get involved if she wants to keep hanging around. She is keeping a personal supply of food in the kitchen, including a flat of eggs. I haven't looked all the way though it and I didn't ask her about it (maybe I should have). She told me that she was available for helping people with astrology and that she bakes pies in the middle of the night but didn't seem to be interested in any of Noisebridge's resources other than the kitchen, couches and wifi. She identifies as an occupier. She seems like probably a reasonably nice person but not especially interested in understanding the established community agreements about excellence. She seems to think all of her behavior is excellent. She seemed pretty annoyed at me by the end of our discussion. Rayc also spent much of the discussion pretending to be her lawyer ("My client..." jokes) even though I asked him to stop and pointed out that I'm not a cop and I'm not their mom, I'm just trying to understand what's going on at noisebridge.
- About 5'2", female, brown stringy shoulder length hair, mid to late 20s. Amber has by all accounts been bringing in new people to hang out on a regular basis. The primary attraction for said people seems to be her own prolific cooking and kitchen access in general, which makes their presence in general a non-benefit to the space. (Jesse Z.)
- Some people have friends. Some people do not have friends. who cares. Amber is one of the fundamental reasons Noisebridge is turning into San Francisco's newest homeless drop in center, with free wireless and a place to store your food and extra clothing, because of her. She needs to go.
- Amber is, by all accounts, dumb as nails. She should go on 86.
- For my money, I've articulated to others that Amber is not quite dumb as a gym sock. I think there's a reason she's become the de facto leader of the directionless: she has slightly more common sense and understanding of best practices for societal interaction than the rest of them, and plus her raging, incorrigible maternal tendencies. She just has an unjustifiably outsized estimation of her own abilities and a staggeringly profound lack of critical thinking. Maybe it would be an awesome class for Noisebridge and the community at large if someone wants to put on an Intro to Science and Logic course and invite Amber? I'm not joking; I think this, like the intolerably classist and condescending Science for Juggalos, would be an invaluable service for an increasingly scientifically illiterate electorate in an increasingly informationally complex world.
- It's quite possible she should just be asked to not come back, though
- Look, I realize Amber, despite her protestations, was the catalyst for much of this. But, to my knowledge, she's never been escorted out of the space. Recently, in fact, she has been making an effort to be more productive, disavow her previous aquaintances, and integrate/interface better with the space. This has redeemed her in the eyes of some, but by no means all, regulars. So she dresses like a hippie and engages in logical fallacies when debating. If that's enough to not want her in the space, then grow a pair and ask her respectfully to not come back until the next Tuesday meeting. If not, then shut up and stop talking shit, or at least filling up 85 with rants.
- there was a mysterious complete lack of Occupiers in the space tonight during circuit hacking. Maybe they fled when they heard Mitch Altman was comin' to town, or maybe the lack of Amber is a 1-to-1 correlation. I'm not sure. I hope they aren't secretly gathering their strength to lay siege to tomorrow night's meeting.
- (formerly Marines baseball cap, Southern accent, sideburns and a moustache)
- The first night 'Bama was here he slept in the chair next to the television, and was openly dismissive of anybody who asked him to respect the space and tried to encourage him to be excellent. When he was finally awakened, he acted indignant, as if it was his right to sleep at Noisebridge, and borderline hostile. When asked to leave he complied, but not without vocally objecting, getting names, and vowing to come to the next meeting. He never did.
- a/k/a Blondie a/k/a Soldier Boy
- Average to muscular build, early 20's male, permed and partly bleached hair long above the neck, frequently wears military gear. Was very unfriendly when asked about his use of the space on two occasions and declined to attend a Tuesday meeting (Jesse Z.)
- sometimes carries a big flag on the end of a pole
- Nuff said
- I asked Ken to repair a friend's computer, as Ken indicated that he was fully capable of it. When I came back to Noisebridge the next day, my friend's harddrive was missing from his computer. The computer was also located in the same exact location and opened as if it was still being worked on. I then later talked to Ken about it, and he stated "I finished the repair last night, put it in the facilities closet, and then left." This was a lie and the harddrive was never recovered.
- has tattoos on his knuckles and the back of his hands.
- is usually seen in the kitchen. almost always wearing a 9/11 Truth Sheeple shirt.
- can be challenging to communicate with and has some unusual ideas, but enjoys discussing science and cleans the kitchen! She sleeps at a shelter and not Noisebridge.
- Cynthia's views on science are non traditional. Also she may have communist sympathies.
- Tony: https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2012-February/027802.html
- Zephyr: https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2012-February/027831.html
Yogurt Container Man
- His name is Harvey. Nice guy, unshaven, pretending extremely hard to not be homeless, plays chess, is really handy at repairing the peoples clothes with a needle and thread or with the sewing machines. Stores random things in the shelves in the middle of the space.
- If this is indeed the same guy I think it is... I have witnessed unexcellent behavior from him recently. One, I caught him with Key-loggers(I am not sure if they were keyloggers, I haven't the proof. But what I want to know is why did he have two HD devices on two computers that he wasn't using for a few hours? So this goes to question, if he was doing that, isn't that hacking?) on two of the NB puter towers, that multi-able people had used. I know its a hacker space, so I just called him out on it. He snatched up the HDs that were USBed up and took off that night. (Jedi)
- 'hacking everyone's passwords' is superseded by 'be excellent to everyone'. its also 'really not cool' and 'possibly illegal'.
- The next incident that I saw was the night Jesse and another member decided to leave the space, and kicked all the other people out of the space. Everyone left, but him, who was trying to get back into the space. He was trying to pry up the usb file drop on the gate. (Jedi)
- It is extremely difficult to get Harvey to leave. Jesse and I were leaving so we decided to close the space until other members show up. Hector didn't really want to leave, but said he would. He kept asking if we were serious. We assured him that we were, and he slowly made his way towards the door. Very slowly. He kept going back to get one more thing at least 50 times. His tenacity was a bit disturbing. Jesse and I finally got Hector out, but he tried to leave the front gate unlatched and once outside the gate he didn't go anywhere. Just sat there. After we went back up, he tailgaited some chinese workers and sat back down at one of the public computers. I told Hector again that we were closing, for the 20th time. He really didn't want to go, and just stood by the door. I looked him in the eyes and said "It is time for you to go now." and he left down the stairway, came back a couple times with BS excuses (needed to use the bathroom and get his tupperware) and finally left.
Justin Patrick Doerr
- Adding himself to the 85 page for horrendous misconduct including but not limited to farting on an airplane while blaming it upon an innocent passenger who was assigned a seat right next to him the entire duration of a 5 and a half hour flight from San Francisco to New York City.
- Believes Noisebridge is turning into a fascist police state.
- Briefly viewed gay Latin porn on his smartphone using Noisebridge WiFi on Saturday March 3rd around 1:28 PM in the afternoon while giggling lightheartedly and showing friends.
- Feels guilty about using Noisebridge's WiFi to view gay Latin porn on Monday March 5th at around 1:36 PM.
- Stirs drama at any given opportunity - Anonymous
- Hasn't paid his cable bill on time in the past three months, and at this point does not have the money to pay for it, which will ultimately end up pissing off his roommate who is currently utilizing our wifi at home to study for midterm exams.
- Has a crush on EVERY boy.
- Openly denounced Madonna's latest single "Give Me All Your Luvin'" yet was secretly disco dancing to it inside Noisebridge bathroom 2.0
- Feels it's necessary to add himself to the 85 page, and will continue reposting this, even upon its removal just to stir up unnecessary controversy.
- Thinks Jesse Z. is an obnoxious troll.
- Justin was visibily drunk, seen with a tall can of Pabst Blue Ribbon throughout the evening. He seemed pretty trashed, but no more volatile, really, than normal. Around about 11pm, however, while in Turing, I heard a series of loud clatters coming from the sink area. The first few I tried to ignore, but finally, with most people's heads swivelled toward the kitchen, I walked over, and said, "Look, Justin, it would be nice if you could try to wash your dishes a little less vigorously, as it's distracting to people hacking." I thought that he seemed to be concentrating more on rocking out than the actual dishwashing, flinging utensils as he grabbed the next item to soap. His headphones were in, and he was resolutely looking ahead, despite my attempts to get his attention through wild gesticulations in his peripheral vision. Finally, I got acknowlegment, and he told me in so many words he wasn't willing to talk, that he was going to wash the dishes. I told him needed to be considerate and make an effort to be less disturbing to the other hackers in the space. I noticed him picking out pieces of a broken glass out of the sink. He loudly reiterated that he didn't care, and started repeating that he couldn't hear me, continuing to bop around while sudsing. I told him it didn't matter if he could hear me; his desires didn't trump those of others, and that if he refused to communicate he'd have to leave. He told me he wasn't going to, he was going to wash the dishes first (thus acknowledging he could, in fact, hear me) and maintained, once again, he couldn't hear me. I think it was at this point that Pearl came over to loudly tell me that I was acting unexcellently by raising my voice, and that it wasn't the first time she thought my volume while engaging with a recalcitrant occupier had been disruptive. Justin used this opportunity to return to washing dishes. I walked away and consulted with others present; the informal, immediate, little-C "consensus" was that he should be removed. I went over to him again and told him, alright, Justin, it's time to go. He became loudly petulant once again, refusing to leave and effectively holding a glass bowl in his hand hostage while he washed it. As soon as he put it in the dish drainer, I put hands on him and told him he had to go. I tried pulling him away from the sink but he put up a fight, refusing; however, he was drunk, and we laboriously made our way toward the general direction of the exits. He was doing his best to go limp (excellent civil disobedience training!) but finally someone grabbed his legs and Justin went down hard. "I'll handle this," someone said - I believe it was David - and I was more than happy to abdicate physically dragging a literally kicking and screaming Justin out of Noisebridge. Justin yelled at David not to touch him, and sort of cowered in the corner at the vertex of the darkroom and its ajacent table. On others' recommendation I went to the payphone and called 311, then waited on the line like a tool for hellof long while nobody showed up to the little automated "conference call" the recording had promised. In the meantime Rayc was in front of Justin - probably still filming the whole thing with a phone or something, and Justin spit in his face. Finally, Pearl was able to talk him into leaving the space. Shortly thereafter, a SFPD officer repeatedly - and insistently - and repeatedly rang Noisebridge's buzzer. No one let him in. (Eric, 5 March '12)
- His bulletpoints above are srs lulz. I'm still looking forward to his blog.