Adhacking's mission is to hack ad rates using nonprofit status to promote hackerspaces. There should be a major banner near every hackerspace in the world. Let's hack the planet one billboard at a time.
Here we can gather plans of how to best do this to promote particular hackerspaces with local banners and hackerspaces.org in general.
A big billboard somewhere near a hackerspace would invite a lot of cool people to check it out.
- √ Gauge Interest: Ask around local hackerspace mailing list, sounds like people are interested
- Design: Come up with a first design to test out, give people actionable steps on a special welcome page
- Design Selection: Pick a favorite design for the board and landing page to start with
- Analytics: Do some smart hackery analytic things to be able to track response
- Target: Pick a spot for it
- Funding: Crowdsource money for it
- Deployment: Put it up
- Observation: Observe the people who show up.
- Data: How awesome are they?
- How many become members?
- How many heard about hackerspaces before seeing the billboard?
- How many are students?
- How many already have projects they want to bring in?
- How many are of which demographics?
Ad Crowdsourcing Sites
- There are two sites that help with crowdsourcing funding:
- Matt Spergel did this successfully with FREE EDUCATION billboards promoting public libraries and educational technology.
- He got a picture of it up on Times Square:
- He found out that nonprofits get ridiculously cheap billboard rates.
- We can get hackerspace billboards up in the Bay letting people know about Noisebridge and Hackerdojo and Ace!
- There's lots of clever hackers who could come up with designs for billboards for hackerspaces or other cool ideas.
- Fewer words are better depending on pedestrian or highway, 8 is a suggested number
- List links to your ideas here and/or post them to the mailing list thread
Design Idea: They're Not What You Think
(they're not what you think) -- TEACH, LEARN, SHARE WHAT YOU LOVE Find one near you: www.tiny.cc/hackerspaces
Design Idea: creativity & technology
(creativity & technology workspaces) -- TEACH, LEARN, SHARE WHAT YOU LOVE Find one near you: www.tiny.cc/hackerspaces
- Matt Spergel said the rates were really low for nonprofit PSAs
- School Factory could help with nonprofit status for hackerspaces that don't have their own yet.
- Anyone who wants to spearhead aspects of this project can volunteer contact info here
- Alex Peake firstname.lastname@example.org I just suggested it and it sounds like lots of people have ideas!
- Ken Adler email@example.com