Danny O'Brien is accepting Bitcoin donations on behalf of Noisebridge. In a mailing list post (and followup), he sent the following clear-signed GPG message:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
I can take bitcoins for Noisebridge (I'm on the board for whatever that counts as -- at the very least, Noisebridge have a tradition that you can give cash to a board member as a donation)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (Darwin)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
According to an unsigned edit to this page by 184.108.40.206, "Bitcoins are an enormously stupid Ponzi scheme that no self respecting hacker should touch with a 10 foot grounded pole."
- It's not a Ponzi scheme if you can get your money converted back immediately, is it (hint: http://mtgox.com, a Bitcoin exchange)? Some more perspective: http://weusecoins.com
- Fringe ideas are always ridiculed.
- Bitcoins have been around for 2.5years now
- FSF accepts bitcoins (http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/bitcoins-a-new-way-to-donate-to-the-fsf)
- WikiLeaks accepts bitcoins (http://shop.wikileaks.org/donate http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/08/20/wikileaks-bypasses-financial-blockade-with-bitcoin/)
- The price of a bitcoin to USD has been above $700 during 2013. The highest it's gone has been
$14.33 $106.00 $236.00$1020. ( http://blockchain.info/charts/market-price )