Revision as of 20:51, 10 August 2012 by Schoen
Coding Freedom book release event (Friday, November 16)
Hacker culture scholar Gabriella Coleman writes:
- I will be in San Francisco for the American Anthropological Association meetings two weeks after the publication of my first book on the politics of free software: Coding Freedom: The Ethics and Aesthetics of Hacking (http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9883.html). It will be released with a CC license.
- I did a chunk of my fieldwork in San Francisco between 2001-2003 and thought it would be quite fitting to hold a book event while visiting the foggy city and Noisebridge came up as a possible venue.
- It would be amazing to hold an event in the Mission, at a hacker space, after the culmination of such a LONG project where I can also thank those, like Seth Schoen, who is not only featured in the book but also was a great friend during my time there (and still is, just now remotely).
- I am thinking of holding the event on Friday November 16. I can provide snacks and drinks and can assure you that if held, it would only attract modest numbers; I imagine a handful of Anthropologists, folks from the EFF, some local open source developers, and perhaps a few interested stragglers might show up.
Upcoming Events edit
- Noisebridge Monthly Cleanup, See link for further info Sunday, March 16, 12:00:
- GodWaffleNoisePancakes, Saturday, March 22, 12:00:
Recurring Events edit
Please refrain from deleting others' classes without first getting agreement.
You may do this by using a valid Discuss list email address, or else by going anonymous if you really must.
- 7:30 pm - 10:00 pm Circuit Hacking Mondays )- Learn to solder! And make cool things with electronics. Mitch, Rolf, Miloh, Cedric, and others will bring kits-for-purchase to make cool, hackable things for all skill levels that you can bring home after you make them! Many sessions even designed for absolute beginners! Bring your own projects to hack! Bring things to fix! All ages. All are welcome! See the Discuss list and the Announce list for weekly updates.
- 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm Algorithms Study Group - Algorithms I Study Group for autodidacts in Turing.
- 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm Collaborative Coding - All levels and languages welcome for open, friendly coding session. Bring tutorials, projects, or just yourself.
- 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm Front-end Web Development - Learn HTML/CSS/JS. We're covering the basics and then going in-depth on different topics every week. Recap of last week's material starts at 7:30 pm. Class updates posted on the WebDev list, Discuss list and the Announce list.
- Take Out the Trash Night -- Round One
- 3:00 pm - 7:00 pm Collaborative Coding - All levels and languages welcome for open, friendly coding session. Bring tutorials, projects, or just yourself. New event as of 2014-01-21
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm Advanced Python Slaying the web with Python 2.7 & 3.3. Instructed by Liz and Kellan in Turing.
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm Ruby and Rails class - Seminar and workshop for learning everything about Ruby, Rails, and web application development (Church classroom). See the Announce list for weekly updates.
- 7:00 pm Noisebridge Weekly Meeting - Introducing new people and events to the space, general discussion, and decision-making on key issues. This is your space, folks. Come on out here in person to express what you think about what's going on with it!
- 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm Locks Sport. Picking, re-pinning, etc. Try to bring your own picks. If not, we will try to make some here. We will go on as long as people want to stick around. Also come check out Sundays' 1:00 pm Lock Sport Collaboration event listed below.
- 6:00 pm Replicator Wednesday! New series started January 9th!
- 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm BACE Timebank (1st Wednesdays every odd month) - Help organize community mutual aid by trading in equal time credits. To find out more and join go to sfbace.org.
- 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm Feminist Book Club for Men - On the second Wednesday of every month, we try to educate ourselves about feminism and to ultimately prevent ourselves from becoming jerks.
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm PyClass - Intro to Python in Church Classroom.
- 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm Dream Team Neuro Hackery - EEG research & development project with general interest in sleep, dreaming, creative intelligence, and many loosely related topics such as: neurophysiology, signal processing, cognitive neuroscience, and (especially) hacking code and devices for data acquisition and analysis. Join us at the CollaborationStation (near the Hackatorium). Expect general discussion around 8 PM - usually moving along by 9 PM to focus on more technical aspects of current project.
- Trash Night -- Round Two - Take out the trash for Friday morning!
- 6:00 pm-8:00 pm Collaborative Coding - All levels and languages welcome for an open, friendly coding session. Bring tutorials, projects, or just yourself. Started on 2013-12-16, but new participants always welcome here!
- 6:30 pm Digital Archivists - Help build a book scanner for Noisebridge
- 7:00 pm Machine_Learning - Machine Learning Meetup (every 2 weeks)
- 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm 3D Thursday Weekly meetup (non-3rd-thursdays) at Noisebridge focusing on 3D Printers, CNC machines, FabLabs, and replicating machines of all kinds.
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm Letter Lovers - Learn & create calligraphy, lettering, fonts, handwriting, and all things letters. On hiatus until ??
- 8:00 pm Front-end Web Development Lab - Understand by doing! A recap of Monday's lecture in workshop form - and a good time for one-on-one help with the material. Lab updates posted on the Discuss list and the Announce list.
- 8:00 pm Five Minutes of Fame a.k.a. 5MoF - lightning 5min talks every 3rd Thursday of the month
- 1:00 pm - 7:30pm Tastebridge 2.0 @ Kitchen (1st & 3rd Fridays)
- 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm FUN Tutoring @ CollaborationStation
- 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm Modular and Analog Synth Workshop NEXT WORKSHOP TBA Learn the basics of analog synthesis on a modular synth with Douglas. we will meet in the church.
- 12:30 pm - 7:30 pm Dungeons and Dragons in Church, not currently looking for new players.
- 1:00 pm Occasional Lock Sport Collaboration: Come learn how to pick locks with the SF Bay Area chapter of TOOOL. Check the TOOOL SF announcement list for details. Also come check out Wednesdays' 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm Lock Sport event listed above.
- 2:00 pm BAHA - Bay Area Hacker's Association - security meeting (2nd Sundays only)
- 3:00 pm Go - Playing of the Go board game. On nice days we often take the boards to Dolores Park and play there.
- 4:00 pm Elements_of_Image_Making Bi-Weekly Analogue and DIY film making meetup/hangout/nerdout
- 6:00 pm Plan 9 class