Coding Freedom book release event (Friday, November 16)
Hacker culture scholar Gabriella Coleman writes:
- I will be in San Francisco for the American Anthropological Association meetings two weeks after the publication of my first book on the politics of free software: Coding Freedom: The Ethics and Aesthetics of Hacking (http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9883.html). It will be released with a CC license.
- I did a chunk of my fieldwork in San Francisco between 2001-2003 and thought it would be quite fitting to hold a book event while visiting the foggy city and Noisebridge came up as a possible venue.
- It would be amazing to hold an event in the Mission, at a hacker space, after the culmination of such a LONG project where I can also thank those, like Seth Schoen, who is not only featured in the book but also was a great friend during my time there (and still is, just now remotely).
- I am thinking of holding the event on Friday November 16. I can provide snacks and drinks and can assure you that if held, it would only attract modest numbers; I imagine a handful of Anthropologists, folks from the EFF, some local open source developers, and perhaps a few interested stragglers might show up.
Not all events make it onto this calendar. Many events only make it to the Discussion or Announcements mailing lists, IRC or in person at Tuesday meetings. Best of all, Noisebridge is about people getting together at the space in San Francisco to do stuff. DO pay attention, as some events just arise organically from the bottom up!
Want to host your event at Noisebridge? We like seeing classes and talks on interesting things pertaining to various subjects of hacking. Most of all, we like seeing familiar faces. Please participate in the space and our weekly Tuesday meetings to see if we're the right audience for what you want to share before announcing a new event. Additionally, please see our events hosting page for suggestions on how to use Noisebridge for your event/class/workshop.
Upcoming Events edit
We will be doing a Spring Cleanup of Noisebridge to make it nice by Summertime!
Tasks and Details to follow. Saturday, May 7, 08:00:
GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES,
The 14-May GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES has Noisebands and gourmet vegan pancakes!
Bands: KROB, Fresca (Ingalls, Chen, Ueno), /The Nothing\ (Roseville), Chinese Fire Drill, Trigger~Inverter Saturday, May 14, 12:00:
Stupid Shit No One Needs & Terrible Ideas Hackathon 2.0,
Work diligently on projects that make no sense at all. Saturday, May 14, 14:00:
GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES,
The 11-June GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES has Noisebands and gourmet vegan pancakes!
Bands: Schimpfluch Gruppe (Swiss), Skozey Fetisch, Fslux, Counter Vulture, Midmight! Saturday, June 11, 12:00:
Recurring Events edit
E - Every week.
1st - Certain weeks, e.g. 1st week only.
-2nd - Except certain weeks, or other schedule exceptions.
- E 7:30 pm to 10:00 pm Circuit Hacking Mondays - Learn to solder! And make cool things with electronics. Mitch, J, Rolf, Miloh, Cedric, Cheng, Greg, and/or a host of others will bring kits-for-purchase to make cool, hackable things for all skill levels that you can bring home after you make them! Many designed for absolute beginners! Bring your own projects to hack! Bring things to fix! All ages. All are welcome! See the Discuss list and the Announce list for weekly updates.
- E 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm Front-end Web Development - No lecture 2016-05-02! Learn HTML/CSS/JS. A series of talks on different topics every week, taught in the Church classroom. Recap of last week's material starts at 7:30 pm. Join the WebDev list or the Announce list for updates.
- E Take Out the Trash Night -- Round One Be sure to put bins out by midnight as the trash truck comes between 1:30 to 2:30am.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Intermediate Python with PyClass - Crash course in the Python standard library. Monday session is held in Turing Classroom.
- E 5:00 pm to 7:30 pm Songbridge Music Making Tuesdays - Beginner-friendly music making and mentoring meetup with Ableton/GarageBand/Logic tutorials for beginners and peer collabs. (Noise Square Table).
- 1st 3rd 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm Sewing and Crafting - Come learn how to use the sewing machines or just work on a craft (e.g. knitting, crocheting, felt working, embroidery, leatherworking, beading, etc.). All skill levels are welcome.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Ruby and Rails class - Seminar and workshop for learning everything about Ruby, Rails, and web application development (Church classroom). See the Announce list for weekly updates.
- E 8:30 pm to 11:30 pm Gamebridge Unityversity Game Dev Tuesdays - Beginner-friendly game development class and meetup, learn and share C# Unity coding, 2D/3D art, design, writing and audio. Learn how to mentor and help teach game dev. (Noise Square Table).
- E 8:00 pm Noisebridge Weekly Meeting - Introducing new people and events to the space, general discussion, and decision-making on key issues. This is your space, folks. Come on out here in person to express what you think about what's going on with it!
- alternating monthly 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm - Cyberspectrum: Software Defined Radio Meetup in the Hackatorium(new): A place to learn and exchange ideas about SDR. Presentations on concepts, mystery signals, hardware/software and cool applications. Event alternates monthly between SF and the South Bay.
- 1st 7:30pm to 10pm Art with Software in Church room. Present your personal and expressive art made with software/hardware of your making and get feedback and critical dialogue from fellow artist/technologists. Find collaborators and find better ways to make such work. Event info and registration is specifically on the group's Meetup webpage here. Meeting monthly (first Wednesday of each month) in 2016.
- E 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm Dream Team Neuro Hackery - EEG research & development project with general interest in sleep, dreaming, creative intelligence, and many loosely related topics such as: neurophysiology, signal processing, cognitive neuroscience, and (especially) hacking code and devices for data acquisition and analysis. Join us at the CollaborationStation (near the Hackatorium). Expect general discussion around 8 PM - usually moving along by 9 PM to focus on more technical aspects of current project.
- E Wednesday (3/23/16) CANCELLED for Spring Break SFSU resuming (3/30/2016) 8:30 pm to 10:30 pm, aka 20:30-22:30, class times, Just add You! Raspberry Pi - NEW PiBridge Raspberry Pi Hacking Group is a meetup to explore on Raspberry Pi-based projects. Gain momentum and achiving successes! '. Meeting lateral to the Pi Zero Student Learning Station, in the Hackatorium Class Space.
- E 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm SF-LUG Linux Discussion Turing classroom.
- E Trash Night -- Round Two - Take out the trash for Friday morning! Do it by midnight as truck comes ~1:30am to 2:30am.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Front-end Web Development Lab - No lab 2016-05-05! Understand by doing! A recap of Monday's lecture in workshop form - and a good time for one-on-one help with the material. Meets in Turing.
- 2nd 7:00pm to 9:00pm Cryptopal working group - Learn cryptography through coding challenges that demonstrate attacks on real-world cryptography. A different way to learn than taking a class or reading a book!
- 3rd 7:00 pm Five Minutes of Fame a.k.a. 5MoF - lightning 5min talks every 3rd Thursday of the month
- 1st 3rd 5th 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm Computerology in Turing or CollaborationStation, understanding and using computers
- 1st 3rd 5th 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm FUN Tutoring @ CollaborationStation
- 3rd Noisebridge Gaming Archivists Meetup 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm -- Come play, fix, mod retro consoles. Create and play is our motto! If you like video games, this is the place for you.
- E 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm CPP Class discussion in Hackitorum/Fox Lounge/Church. Currently looking for folks wanting to help plan out lessons.
- E 1:00 pm Zine Hacking Hacking on the good ol' fashioned analog Zine with Torrie, Mari and anyone who wants to come and be excellent and make excellent art.
- alternating monthly 3:00 pm Goths & Crafts Spooky people making spooky things in the sewing area. All kinds of crafts welcome and things don't necessarily have to be goth. But if you have an eye towards the darker side of the color spectrum, this may be for you!
- E 12:30 pm to 7:30 pm Dungeons and Dragons in Church, currently looking for new players.
- alternating monthly 1:00 pm Monthly Lock Sport Collaboration: Come learn how to pick locks and learn more about them with the SF Bay Area chapter of TOOOL. The group meets on alternating months at Noisebridge and in San Jose. Check the TOOOL SF announcement list for details.
- E 3:00 pm Go - Playing of the Go board game. On nice days we often take the boards to Dolores Park and play there.
- E 6:00 pm Plan 9 class (if not Noisebridge check Sycamore)
- E 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm .impact Workathons in Turing classrom. Work on projects that will help humanity & beyond.