Welcome to the Noisebridge Dwarf Fortress Page!
Dwarf Fortress is an amazingly complex yet low-fi real-time strategy / world-building game, with dwarves! Actually, it's much more than just a game. You can create complex mechanisms that model things such as Turing complete computers and calculators for example (see more computing projects here).
This page is for those people interested in learning how to play and/or those who are already experienced who wish to share tips and what not. Feel free to make use of the discussion tab above as well.
DF Installation @ Noisebridge: Permanent Succession Games
On January 20, 2017, Dwarf Fortress claimed a permanent settlement at Noisebridge. Strike the earth!
Keep playing where the last person left off!
A succession game means that people alternate and the fortress belongs to everyone until it succumbs gloriously to starvation, the goblins, or the clowns. Even in extreme circumstances, dwarf fortress always seems to yield more fun, so try to keep things going until it is boring.
When the fortress inevitably dies, please make a new fortress in the same world. Over time a world is affected by each fortress, and it is possible to "reclaim" an abandoned fortress later; a very fun way to play.
Press ESC and choose "Save Game". This is how you exit.
DO NOT: "Abandon Fortress" or "Succumb to the invasion" -- the fortress will be destroyed.
The game crashes just enough to be a pain, because that's really fun. Be sure to back up the world into ~/backups after something epic. Example: "$ zip -r ~/backups/df.bkp.YYYY.MM.DD.hh.mm.zip ~/bin"
The mac mini runs GNU/Linux Ubuntu 16.04.1.
A "Dwarf Fortress" launch icon exists on the desktop.
The dwarf fortress install is wrapped by python-lnp and available on the system path.
- add dwarf fortress theme art to this area
- bolt down the mac mini so that it doesn't walk off
- add dwarf therapist and dfhack to python-lnp
- add links to simon swerwer soundcloud albums on the desktop
- Lets schedule an event!
Below is a collection of Dwarf Related links that you may find helpful or interesting:
- The Official Dwarf Fortress Website
- The Dwarf Fortress Wiki
- Reddit Dwarf Fortress
- Good collection of resources
- Highly recommended is the "bentgirder" tutorial
- Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial (14 parts!)
- Reddit's Dwarf Fortress intro class
- Boatmurdered, a humorous walk-through of one person's fortress experience that explains a lot of things
- Nice flowchart generalizing things to work on
- captnduck's series of execellent beginner tutorial videos
- 51ppycup's awesome "Lets Play Dwarf Fortress" series on Youtube
- Updated video tutorials from captnduck for 2010
3rd Party Plugins/Tools
- The Dwarf Fortress Lazy Newb Pack
- Note that v5.0 has many disabled utilities, if you want the full utility experience highly consider getting v4.6!
- Stonesense live 3D map viewer
- Note: this is just a VIEWER and doesnt actually make the game 3D. It has a lag as well, so it's long term usefulness is limited in terms of playing the game. But it's very impressive to show your friends.
- Massive list of DF utilities
- Various alternate tilesets
- Sound Sense, for making your dwarves talk and stuff
- A post on reddit
- A post on Digg
- Another post on reddit
- Turing machine created in Dwarf Fortress
- Epic lore for one person's world
- Interview with the creator, Tarn Adams
- The Dwarven Calculator
- Another interview with the creator
- Map archive
- PCGamer interview
- An amusing song by Finntroll called Trollhammaren
- A lulzy illustrated tale
- A nice piece on cracked.com (thanks Miah!)
These tips are six years old. They need curated, many need deleted.
- Construction advice: the construction system can be a little confusing at first.
- Mega construction
- A common mistake is to build an upwards staircase then later wanting it to be up/down. You cant do that!
- However, you can place an up/down stairway on previously dug ground using "b C x"
- Bins and barrels are a good way to manage items:
- Be careful about custom stockpiles, you may end up making it unusable!
- How to update Dwarf Fortress without losing your saves
- Important advice
- Tips on using alternate graphic tilesets
- Computing projects