This section is for estimates of start-up costs. Story so far:
- Move-in cost for space (assume 3x month's rent) : $6000 assuming $2000/mo rent
- Three months' rent reserve : $6000 assuming $2000/mo rent
- Cost of incorporation as non-profit/LLC/whatever (if we do that) : $444
- The Company Corporation quotes $444 for their "complete" package for a California corp/LLC/nonprofit, use that for now - Note: nonprofit incorporation does not automatically imply we are tax deductible!
- Initial insurance cost : ??
- Initial cost for drinks to sell : ?? (May be zero due to Club Mate donations?)
- Initial cost for space improvements, making keys, etc. : ??
- Noisebridge Costco card (if desired vs. some members buying on their own) : $50
- Initial equipment costs (not including donations) : ??
Estimate so far for start-up cost: $12494 + ??.
DavidMolnar ideally would like to see 2x whatever this estimated number is as starting capital, but that may be overkill.
Monthly Expenses and Dues
SWAG at monthly expenses:
- $2k rent (nets ~1k sq ft)
- $300 utilities (I'm TOTALLY making this up just to have a number, not even sure what all I mean it to include)
- PG&E, Water? (shared w/ NoStarch?), trash/recycling, insurance split over a year, ISP (I recommend sonic.net)
- $100 misc (toilet paper, juice, resistors)
Expected Costs for buying drinks: ? (Check CostCo prices) Expected Revenue from selling drinks: ? (Next number tells us what this is ; ) Expected Profit from selling drinks: ~300-800$
Q. (by DavidMolnar editing w/o logged in): Is this realistic? metalab clears this much, but assuming we can come out of the gate and obtain the same revenue seems optimistic.
A. Yeah, 300$ is very realistic - that's like 8 drinks per day sold at a $1.2 profit. Our initial calculations were without drinks too because we didn't believe it. But we had huge sales really quickly. People tend to drink a lot while hanging around at a Hacker Space. --Enki 12:33, 18 January 2008 (PST)
|number of members||monthly dues|
Committed So Far
We have collected the following money:
- $221 at meeting, held by Mitch Altman
Total in hand: $221
We have the following pledges:
- DavidMolnar up to $150/mo and $1500 start-up
- Al Billings up to $150/mo and $500 start-up.
- Matt up to $100/mo and $500 start-up.
- adi up to $500/mo for 6 months, $300/mo ongoing, and $1000 start-up.
- JakeAppelbaum up to $500/mo for 6 months, $300/mo ongoing, and $1000 start-up.
- NateLawson at least $100/mo and $500 start-up
- marc up to $250/mo and $500 start-up
Total pledged: $1750/mo, $5000 start-up