Five Minutes of Fame
NEW WEBSITE: http://5mof.net
What is it?
Five Minutes of Fame (FMoF) is an adaptation of CCC's Lightning Talks. The idea is that we have ten 5 minute talks within an hour. Talks can be shorter, but not longer, than five minutes.
When and Where does it happen?
Third Thursday of every month at 8pm, at Noisebridge.
This means the next event will be on January 20th, 2011 at 8pm.
Why are we doing this?
There are many reasons:
- It's great for people who are interested in what's going on at Noisebridge -- no need to sit through long lectures.
- Some people are working on projects that are not ready for a full 30 minute or hour long talk, but they want to get their ideas out. Maybe they need help, maybe they want to propose an idea to the Noisebridge community.
- Some people are shy to public speaking and want to practice without giving an "official" conference talk, which can be daunting. This is a great way to try it out, in a community of peers.
- San Francisco is the mecca for startups. If you're trying to sell your idea to someone, you need to be able to explain it in five minutes or less.
- "The Law of Fives"
How can I participate?
Easy - sign up to give a talk! Contact Hephaestus by email (heph [@] h3ph.com).
Include your name (or handle), talk title, your website/url, and a short description.
In your email, use the subject line "Five Minutes of Fame Submission DD-MM-YYYY" (filling in the date of the upcoming FMoF for which you are applying.)
Slides must be in PowerPoint (.ppt) or Keynote format unless otherwise agreed upon and submitted by the Friday before FMoF. All slides are subject to approval.
Speakers will be notified as to the status of their talks before the schedule is released. If your talk was not accepted, feel free to submit next month!
Talk schedule will be finalized and released on the Monday before FMoF.
How can I attend?
Just show up!
If for any reason you're unable to attend, you can usually watch it live on our UStream Channel.
Can anyone attend or speak?
- There are a limited number of slots for speakers, and members or regulars are given priority to speak about the projects they are working on. Although there are substitutes for people don't show, schedule early to be assured your 5MoF!
What if I show up late?
- If you are giving a talk, please notify me so we can rearrange the schedule. If you want to see a talk that you're going to miss, find the person who gave it and chat with them for five minutes :)