Hooray! We're so glad you want to visit. Noisebridge is a space designed to be open pretty much to anyone 24/7! We especially welcome those who like to tinker and to hack on things, and are generally nice. On average, we don't appreciate people looking for a halfway house to sleep in, to steal things, or to be on the lookout for giveaway freebies and people to annoy. Read here for more Visitor advice on our culture and some suggestions on how to interface with it. Our collectivist Do-ocracy -style anarchy is often strange to people who are accustomed to more authoritarian structures, and many new visitors are initially confused on how things work or who they should talk to about things.
Noisebridge is located on the 3rd floor of 2169 Mission. There is a staircase up and an accessible elevator as well. The elevator can be a little persnickety but it has a bell that rings up into the space for assistance if needed. More Accessibility info available as well. Read on for ways to get into the building.
You can also check out some more info on transit and Getting Here.
How Do I Get Into 2169 Mission?
If you've never been to the space before, simply press the door bell on the right of the gate labeled "Noisebridge" with tiny text. If there's someone in the space who feels like giving a tour (most of the time, except for late at night and early morning) they may buzz you in.
If you are inside Noisebridge and want to open the gate for someone outside you can look through the handy-dandy "periscope" closed-circuit camera to see who's there. If you know them, hit the "DOOR" button on the intercom pad to buzz them in. Please take responsibility for the people you let into the space!
Otherwise, here are some cunning ways to get in.
- If you've got a valid code, you can use the payphone keypad next to the gate to let yourself in.
- There's an app for your Android device which will open the gate (almost) every time.
- SSH into Pony, and run opengate, which is an excellent wrapper for the Noisbridge API command curl -X POST http://api.noisebridge.net/gate/open.
- From inside Noisbridge, go to http://pony.noise/gate OR http://172.30.0.30/gate/
- Sadly, Gatebot doesn't work right now.
More info about doors, keys, openings, and mousetraps available here: Access_Control.
To help facilitate excellent hacking, the membership community would like someone to vouch for you.
As a New Visitor
As a Vouchsafed Guest
Ask a Regular or Associate Member currently present at the space to vouch for you. That might be:
- the coordinator or validated participant of the class or event you're planning to attend
- your friend or known acquiantance already in the space
- a brand new friend in the space
- Go on the NB discussion mailing list or IRC chat and ask if a Regular or Associate Member will either go with you or will already be present at the space when you visit
Become an Associate Member
- In brief: find 4 members to sign your application, done!
- Read up on becoming an Associate Member.
Become a Regular Member
- Read up on becoming a Regular Member
Please note that Associate Memberships and guest vouching is new as of November 2013. Please be patient as we work out the kinks in this new system.