- 1 Overview
- 2 How Do I Get Into 2169 Mission?
- 3 Staying In
Hooray! We're so glad you want to visit. Noisebridge is a space designed to be open pretty much to anyone 24/7! We especially welcome those who like to tinker and to hack on things, and are generally nice. On average, we don't appreciate people looking for a halfway house to sleep in, to steal things, or to be on the lookout for giveaway freebies and people to annoy. Read here for more Visitor advice on our culture and some suggestions on how to interface with it. Our collectivist Do-ocracy -style anarchy is often strange to people who are accustomed to more authoritarian structures, and many new visitors are initially confused on how things work or who they should talk to about things.
Noisebridge is located on the 3rd floor of 2169 Mission. There is a staircase up and an accessible elevator as well. The elevator can be a little persnickety but it has a bell that rings up into the space for assistance if needed. More Accessibility info available as well. Read on for ways to get into the building.
You can also check out some more info on transit and Getting Here.
How Do I Get Into 2169 Mission?
If you've never been to the space before, simply press the door bell on the right of the gate labeled "Noisebridge" with tiny text. If there's someone in the space who feels like giving a tour (most of the time, except for late at night and early morning) they may buzz you in.
If you are inside Noisebridge and want to open the gate for someone outside you can look through the handy-dandy "periscope" closed-circuit camera to see who's there. If you know them, hit the "DOOR" button on the intercom pad to buzz them in. Please take responsibility for the people you let into the space!
Otherwise, here are some cunning ways to get in.
- If you've got a valid code, you can use the payphone keypad next to the gate to let yourself in.
- There's an app for your Android device which will open the gate (almost) every time.
- SSH into Pony, and run opengate, which is an excellent wrapper for the Noisbridge API command curl -X POST http://api.noisebridge.net/gate/open.
- From inside Noisbridge, go to http://pony.noise/gate OR http://172.30.0.30/gate/
- Sadly, Gatebot doesn't work right now.
More info about doors, keys, openings, and mousetraps available here: Access_Control.
Noisebridge is a hackerspace. To help facilitate excellent hacking, the membership community would like someone to vouch for you. Now that you're in, how do you stay in? An excellent question! There's a few ways:
Be a brand new visitor to the space and/or attend a Tuesday night meeting (the two easiest ways!)
- Ask a docent to introduce you to the space when you visit for the first time
- Attend a weekly meeting
Be a vouchsafed guest of a Regular Member or an Associate Member (the next easiest way)
- Find out if a Regular or Associate Member is currently present at the space to vouch for you
- Ask the coordinator of the event you plan on attending to vouch for you
- Ask your friend who is a Regular or Associate Member to go with you to the space
- Go on the NB discussion mailing list or IRC chat and ask if a Regular or Associate Member will go with you
- Go to the space and ask the person who lets you in to vouch for you (no guarantee!)
Become an Associate Member
- In brief: find 4 members that will vouch for you, go through the formal process of waiting a month or so for your name to be discussed at the weekly meeting, profit!
- Read up on becoming an Associate Member.
Become a Regular Member
- Read up on becoming a Regular Member
Please note that either Associate Memberships or guests needing member hosts to vouch for them are requirements in order to get into Noisebridge, new as of November 2013. During the current process of establishing a critical mass of Associate Members, we request the short-term patience of you repeat visitors, especially when Regular Members or event hosts become unavailable at the space to vouch for you and thus get you in.