|Noisebridge | About | Visit | 272 | Manual | Contact | Guilds | Resources | Events | Projects | 5MoF | Meetings | Donate | (Edit)
|Manual | Visitors | Participation | Excellence | Do-ocracy | Consensus | Standards | Outreach | Operations | Cleaning | (Edit) | Category
|Participation | Joining | Maintainers Wanted | Meetings | Events | To-do-ocracy Thursdays | Edit
|Joining | Philanthropist | Membership | FAQ | Opening | Closing | Lockers | Philanthropist/Pledge | Membership/Pledge | RFID Token | Special Access | Edit
|You can join Noisebridge simply by showing up as a participant during our Hours. Participants who want to get more involved can attend meetings and applying to become either an official philanthropist who donates and has 24 hour access or a full Noisebridge Member which has the power to block consensus decisions. 24 hour access comes with the responsibility for closing the space at night.
Everyone who participates in Noisebridge is a participant. Participants have new and old participate by do-ocracy and do things that look like they need doing while being excellent in doing so. All participants have a voice in meetings and consensus and may propose, discuss and give reasons for blocking consensus items items.
Members can also give Participants 30-day access, which allows them to come into the space from noon to 10 PM.
Philanthropists give back to Noisebridge with monthly donations and have 4 hour access tokens and responsibility for closing at night. You can become a Philanthropist by showing up at meetings and getting 1 member to sponsor you. If you're approved you'll be asked to donate, given an access token, and briefed on how to close up.
- Philanthropy+: If you wish to be able to grant temporary access tokens to people but don't want to apply for full membership, you can ask at meetings for Philanthropy+ and be consensed for it.
Members take responsibility for the long-term stewardship of Noisebridge and can block consensus items. You can apply for membership at meetings and after 4 weeks a consensus determines if you become a member. Membership is not required for participation in consensus discussions and non-members can point out reasons to block that members might agree with and block on their behalf.
Things To Do As a Noisebridger
Here is a list of steps people usually complete as they become part of the Noisebridge community. All are optional, and they may be completed in any order.
- Enter Noisebridge
- Strike up a productive conversation with other Noisebridge visitors
- Your chats don't have to be with members.
- Ask someone to give you a tour
- Ask them how they learned about Noisebridge
- Attend a Weekly Meeting
- But don't stress it if you're not a meeting person
- Create a Wiki User Account
- Make some edits.
- Create a user page.
- Copy this to-do list to your user page. Strike out the tasks you've accomplished.
- Point out spam to people who can delete it.
- Join a like-minded Mailinglist
- Send a message introducing yourself
- Try and comprehend our particular flavor of collectivist, diversified anarchy by reading the Hours page.
- Don't worry if it seems a bit strange.
- Clean up something that needs cleaning
- Befriend a member.
- Ask her to set you up with a Access token
- Ask for access to Slack
- Be excellent in a new and surprising way
- Get a proper tour of the Dirty / Wood shop.
- Don't be afraid of the scary tools.
- Fingers grow back, right?
- Attend Circuit Hacking Monday
- Buy a kit and build it.
- Take a class
- Set up a recurring donation
- Become familiar with where we as a community have been by listening to Victoria drone on about the histories of Noisebridge
- Edit a wiki page that could use some improvement
- Add something to this list
- Learn to use the vinyl cutter
- Make a sticker for your laptop.
- Make a sticker for somebody else's laptop
- Learn how to use the sewing machines
- Learn to use the Lasercutter
- Learn to use the 3d printers
- Give a class
- Give a newcomer a tour
- Apply for Membership
- Get a Hackerspace Passport
- Add a Noisebridge visa
- Help out other more newbie newbies
- Hack the planet