Revision as of 12:56, 8 September 2010 by SpammerHellDontDelete
Kiang is a round tabletop computer for general use.
please feel free to use the table as a kiosk, but be prepared for unpredictable uptime while the system is experimented with. OpenSSH server is installed for remote management.
noisetable.noise user: noisetable pass: noisebridge
- Zytouch capacaitive touch screen built into it, and a small x86 embedded system underneath that..
- VIA Eden board with a code name 'Esther' processor on it. It clocks at 400mHz but cat /proc/cpuinfo shows it may be able to go up to 1Ghz (with active cooling?)
- there are faster drivers than the default vesa setting in the xorg.conf file. they should be installed now
- wifi card
- Ubuntu 10.04 installed on a 80gig 3.5 IDE drive. The generic install works fine out of the box, but optimizations for an older memory and speed limited system would never hurt.
- Cant get the openchrome Xorg driver to work well with the VIA eden board. The Ubuntu package is called xserver-xorg-video-openchrome. xorg.conf was modified to use the 'openchrome' device and dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg was run. Then gdm was cycled by /etc/init.d/gdm restart
- A round tabletop system presents challenges to window management designer, it would be interesting to get a touch based system like Android running on this machine. The machine may be down for work on projects like this.
- It needs some Zytouch driver love, which comes from the touch-base website: http://touch-base.com/documentation/LinuxPlatformNotes.htm#_Serial_port_issues