Objective - Great Wall of Noisebridge
A beautiful LED Wall (example Emoji video), which will reside in the Hackertorium on the wall that says "American Dream." The wall is being organized by Dana and James with the help of the community. The size of the wall will be modular, expanding as additional panels are added. An example of two 16x32 panels in action was demonstrated at the end of the 10/21 Tuesday meeting using both a web interface and curl.
It will be possible to program the wall from Slack, IRC, Web Interface, Kinect, webcams, etc.
- Mitch will be purchasing panels directly from the seller in China at the start of November and shipping them to the space.
- Beaglebone Black w/ Octoscroller Cape
- One of each already donated
- LEDscape software for Beaglebone Black on NYC Resistor's Github
- LEDbot Github - Scheduler software (documentation)
- a solid PC Powersupply for driving the wall. Got one kicking around?
- Related to this project is Henner's(Github). His coding for these panels uses the Raspberry Pi.
- Adafruit's [Arduino library](https://github.com/adafruit/RGB-matrix-Panel) for RGB Matrix Panels
How do I help?
You can pledge a panel by donating $10 - 20
- Give cash to Mitch, Dana or James directly and confirm your donation directly to this page.
- Credit card donations tba
Amount raised so far
Total $170 as of 10/21/2014
Can I see an example of this in action?
NYC Resistor has a nice page with a series of projects they've already completed using the Beaglebone + cape + LEDscape.
'I've written the LEDscape "firmware" for the BeagleBone Black that uses the PRU ("Programable Realtime Units") to drive 64 RGB matrices or 32 of the WS2811 LED strips with 0% CPU load. This allows all of the ARM's CPU time to be used for rendering frames into a buffer, which is then clocked out at the high speed 800 KHz rate to the WS281x strips or at a 1 MHz clock to the matrices. This rate allows 544 meters of strip / 64 31x16 LED matrices to be drawn at 30fps. Since the PRU can read any of the ARM's RAM it is possible to change the frame buffer pointer on every frame for easy double-buffering. Brief, disorganized notes on setup for the PRU.'
How can I use this thing?
Add specs on LEDScape, web gui, emoji support, etc.