Meeting Notes 2010 01 12
Please set your cell phones to vibrate.
Go get the membership binder.
Introduction and Names
What Noisebridge is about
- If you made a donation in 2009 and want a receipt for tax purposes, send an email to email@example.com with your full name, mailing address, the item or amount donated (and if money, the method), and the date of the donation.
Amount in bank: $15k
There are 5 members who are three or more months late. Separate from them:
- Number of members in good standing: 77
- Number of members late for December: 11
- Number of members late for January: 65
If all late dues were paid in full, at $40 each, we would have $4,880.
Very brief primer on Noisebridge consensus process
There is a consensus process...
What's Going On at Noisebridge
One short sentence about each of the following:
- Circuit Hacking Mondays (7PM, 2169)
- Python Mondays (6:30 PM, 2169)
- Project Euler now on Tuesdays at 7:00 p.m.
- SCoW craft group - Wednesdays at 7PM
- GameDevelopment - Wednesdays at 8PM, back from Berlin and 2010 class is in session
- Shop Friday still plans to come back when the shop is done.
- Sensebridge and the EEG group - Sundays at afternoonish (1-2ish) - come to try brain scanning
- Spacebridge - Sundays at 5PM planning meeting this Sunday to decide on payload budget on
- Where will we launch from? Lots of ideas. There's size limits for payloads but everyone interested should discuss afterwards.
- Knots Go and Locks - Sundays 3PM
CNC Mill workshop on Friday CNC_Mill_Workshop
- EE lab:
Noisebridge now has server power available. To find out more about the server access, ask Dr. Jesus.
Shall we randomize the logo displayed on the Noisebridge Wiki (our primary website) rather than continuing in the general theme of the readily identifiable logo we've been using to date? If so:
How do we want to handle the NB logo on the wiki?
Notes from mailing list discussion
- Need better randomizer function
Possible wiki configurations:
- Status quo (orig black and red circuit-like logo on all pages)
- Randomizer from pool on all pages
- Randomizer from pool on all internal pages, orig logo on index
- Some other variant of mixed logos, may require someone committing to code up the implementation
Possible pool handling:
- Public upload somewhere, added to pool by ops
- Public upload somewhere, some other approval method
Noisebridge and Wikileaks - 501(c)(3) Fiscal Sponsorship
Wikileaks has very little presence in the United States. If they were to be able to take donations as a charitable organization, they would be able to generate a great deal more in donations from US donors.
The benefit to Noisebridge would be financial, as well as supporting a good cause. It is customary in these relationships that the sponsoring organization keep 10% of all donations. This would be a contractual arrangement which we would need our lawyers to draw up.
It is common arrangement in the art community that organizations that have a charitable designation "sponsor" organizations that are either too small or unable to manage the issues themselves. The Oakland Opera is a fiscal sponsor for NIMBY, SOMArts is a fiscal sponsor for the Flaming Lotus Girls. NIMBY is an interesting case, as they've faced all sorts of persecution, yet the Oakland Opera has seen none of it.
Without making any commitments, does it seem like this is something the membership thinks would be a good idea to pursue with our lawyers?