Meeting Notes 2010 10 26
The 133rd Meeting of Noisebridge
Get someone to grab the membership binder now. Get someone to take notes.
- Moderator: Adi
- Note-Taker: Rma
 Introduction and Names
- What Noisebridge is about: "Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."
- Noisebridge is a consensus run organziation -- become a member by filling out a member form from the membership binder (available in the space), familiarize themselves with the community and get their page signed off by current members, and attend no less than 4 meetings before they are considered for membership by consensus.
- Discussion and light joshing during the first few minutes.
- Description of consensus is covered: We reach consensus about important decisions that most likely will affect the community.
- Round of introductions: What's your name, what do you do, and if you are new, how did you hear about Noisebridge? Start with the moderator and go left.
Andy -- Moderating the meeting Rahul -- from the Oakland think tank Mike -- mailiny here to join in the linux discussion group and related topics, perhaps more Salvador DalaiLama -- all he has to say John -- not an alcoholic, rather a computer programmer, a pilot, and a brain wave measurer. Shannon -- involved with AMT and the Noisebridge TJ -- Sunday was the first time at a hckerspace and visiting from Alb. Simon -- moving here in a week Nick -- looking for a CS meetup for about 40 people.. Rodrigo -- visiting from Brazil and perhaps mailed Nb-discuss earlier about his visit Rachel -- working on a makerbot Micheal Blade -- Sci-Fiction blogger and author and writing about the transhuman singularity R. Miloh -- I'm taking the notes Fabian -- first time here, interested in electronics and trying to build giant LED light boards Cadence -- building a scehduling magic 8ball jonathan -- a sw guy and a hw hacker wannabe frantisek -- working on tastebridge and a hackerbus and hackerspace seeding in Mexico Fred -- saboatoge TnAstebriage Jof -- likes telecom and working on Noisebridge/noisenet his week, 'the next to walk through the door' Mike -- hardware floater Robert -- just want to say he thinks he found heaven bg in laptop repair and comp repair and wants to start a webdev group at Nb DrJesus -- you can read about all hes doing on the Nb wiki, and please visit Ace Monster Toys in the East bay. Acemonstertoys.org meeting monday at 7pm Doug -- does websites oragami and _____ Adam -- relocated to the bay area, been here a few years and working on software
 Financial Report
Funds in bank: By SMS (the treasurer in Absentia, handled by moderater) our Bank balance is currently $8156 which is sig. less than our desired bank balance of $15k. This is not good and we should take whatever steps we can to improve our funding situation. We are spending money somewhat faster than we are bringing it in.
We are supported by:
Donations from the Community Membership dues ($40 t0 $80) Note the employers in the area tend to match donations from folks
 What's Going On at Noisebridge
One short sentence about each of the following:
For locations at Noisebridge, see a map of the 2169 location of Noisebridge.
- Circuit Hacking Mondays (Monday, 7PM, E Lab) Recently had a SMD workshop with great sucess!!
- Iphone Dev Meetup -- (Monday, 6PM, A. Church) Meets in the back still!
- Pyclass - Mondays (Monday, 7PM, A. Turing) Building a PyEgg for Noisebridge PyClass! New Teacher!
- Tastebridge cooking class - (Tuesday, ~5PM, NoiseKitchen) The food on the table at this meeting!
- GameDevelopment - (Wednesday, 7PM, E Lab/Main Hall]] come on represent!
- Tastebridge culturing - (Wednesday, ~6PM, NoiseKitchen) Noise culturing!
- SCoW craft group - (Wednesday, 7PM, SCoW area) There are great industrial machines to use! Come on Wed and learn to use them properly!
- Machine_Learning - (Wednesday, 7:30PM, A. Church) This group is very active after a long silence!
- Linux System administration certification study group - (Wednesday, 6PM, A. Turing) General Dicussion about Linux on Wednesdays!
- Spacebridge - (Sundays, Main Hall) Meeting and putting balloons into space!
- Knots, Go, and Locks! - (Sunday afternoon, Main Hall) Yes there are still locksporters, people tying knots and playing go on Sundays!
- Five Minutes of Fame Still happening on the third Thursday of every month! 5 Minute Lightning talks!
 Membership Binder
The process to become a member is reiterated -- See in the notes above for an overview of the current consensed process --
- Names are read from the binder for the past month.
- Lots of new faces but no one in the membership binder to consent to
 Project Updates
 Consensus items
 Discussion Items
- 27c3 whatup -miloh
The 27th Chaos Communications Congress put on the 27th 28th and 29th of December in Berlin. If there is any way you can swing it, go. It costs $80 Euros and is PRESALE ONLY (because of OVERCROWDINg?). There are 2 group apartments worth of people from the NB community going.
- Miloh wants to go and fund it all on Sudo Pop. Please come and buy bottles and 6packs of SudoPop novelty liquid from him at Circuit Hacking Monday and Tuesdays.
Use Airhitch and search for cheap airfare
- Hacker Mobile proposal -frantisek
"Hacker Mobile" "I want to find out what other people think about creating a mobile hacker space..." Frantisek wants to get wheels and explore this idea with other interested people, with the goal of starting a hackerspace in Mexico. He wants to share in transportation with like minded hackers and rebuild a vehicle in a way that it can be used to tour other hackerspaces on a trip towards Mexico. Tentative Itinerary: a few weeks in January 2011 heading down to Mexico. There is a discussion about the goal to spawn new hackerspaces on the trip as well as visiting extant hackerspaces along the route. "Hacker outward bound" -- Shannon Frantisek proposes to test the bus on a West Coast leg for a few weeks in January, then head to Chiapas, Mexico to work on hackerspace culture for about a month. A discussion of possibilities ensues.
- User shelves - request for more space -- if you can share your shelf -miloh
AND label your shelf accordingly --- Come and claim your shelf, take care of it well labelled and
- Drink run to Costco. Need to raise $500 for thirsty noisebadger drinks, or not.- miloh
- Tastebridge has Kombucha available! You can bottle your own or get it from the Drinks Fridge (we have 2 fridges, one is for experiements)
- Fully functioning open source clothing exchange at Noisebridge Located in the Crafty area --
Feel free to exchange clothing and bring clothing in to alter and make your own.
- DMCA takedown complaint from Monkeybrains -- The heresay is that Monkeybrains called today (10/26) to inform us of a takedown complaint.
The internet service here is available in the form of unfiltered open wifi AP's. Please do not use the Noisebridge network download. Ask administrators about what you want to do with the Network to find the best use of our limited bandwidth!
- Monkeybrains connection is a 802.11N wifi link. It
- Dedicated access to more DSL circuits is possible, see DrJesus (email the rack list) to hash out details for its use.
- Alternate service methods:
Mike Blade introduces the Mifi card he uses when the Noisebridge network is down. Bandwidth is greater than DSL in certain cases. Its a monthly subscription that would offer a better guarantee than the sometimes more limited bandwidth available at Noisebridge. Anyone interested in sharing some mifi accounts for use at the space should discuss with Mike Blade or on the Nb-Discuss. Affinity groups may be interested.
- How To Fix the Network when it breaks:
If you want to help out when the network is down Empower yourself by reading the Network Troubleshooting resources page Get yourself familiarized with the Noisebridge Wiki
- Shit What Needs Done:
This is a new To-Do page for Noisebridge, Jof is working on the items on this list. He's already added 'How To Help Out' buttons on the Touchpanels that you can use to find out what needs to be done. See the Noisebridge wiki or the touch panels
- You can donate whatever you want as long as its not toxic waste or a CRT, but if you donate a resource and do not guide its use, then it is possible that it may get turned into a ROBOT. Yes, a ROBOT: a lifeless husk of wood and plastic. See the lifeless foosball table for an example. --Adi
- Nick organizes the bay area LISP and Scheme with the Bay area Closures group, he came by to see if the space could support a 40-50 person meetup.
Preferred procedure is to find a member to sponsor the group's meeting. The idea is to have a meeting for this group in the future, the date depends on the availability of the presenters, look out for it in late November.
- Noisebridge is NOT for sleeping. Do not sleep at Noisebridge. A PSA from Shannon.
- Rodrigo has delivery of a physical Packet from the Budapest hackerspace - The packet is sent to the designated available open port, Leif R.
Thank you Budapest!
 End of Meeting
- PGP Key Signing could happen now, check the list to see who wants in on the action. NULL (my kingdom for a pgp key!)
- Put back the membership binder by the Shrine at the northeast corner. CHECK
- Save the meeting notes to the wiki. CHECK
- Send a copy of the meeting notes to the discussion list. CHECK
- Copy the Meeting Notes Template for next week's agenda and update the main wiki page's link to it. CHECK
- Enjoy a cocktail with your fellow hacker or robot. KOMBUCHA ACQUIRED