Meeting Notes 2011 02 01

From Noisebridge
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(stubbing this out for tomorrow)
 
 
(8 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 7: Line 7:
 
-->
 
-->
  
== HOWTO moderate a meeting ==
+
== Agenda ==
  
Anyone can moderate the meeting, though it helps a great deal if you have been to meetings before.
+
[https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Meeting_Notes The 145th Meeting of Noisebridge]
  
0. '''Say "Five minutes to meeting!".''' This will give you time to read these instructions.
+
Note-taker: Al
  
1. Get someone to '''grab the membership binder'''. It is kept near the shrine, which is currently on the south wall, between the electronics and sewing areas.
+
Moderator: Seth
  
2. '''Get someone to take notes.''' Point the shocked and bemused note-taker to the sub-instructions below these instructions.  
+
About 15ish people attended this meeting, along with Al (board member), Seth (Secretary), and Kelly (Treasurer).
  
3. (Optional) '''Get someone to put this wiki page up on the projector'''.
+
=== Introduction and Names ===
 +
* [[Noisebridge_Vision|What Noisebridge is about]]: "Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."
 +
* Round of introductions: What's your name, what do you do, and if you are new, how did you hear about Noisebridge? Start with the moderator and go left.
 +
* [[Consensus Process|A brief primer on consensus process]]: We agree and so should you! Only paid-up members can block consensus.
  
4. Skim '''read through the Agenda''' below that to get a feel for what a meeting will looks like.
+
=== Announcements ===
  
5. People may have added '''Discussion Items''' to this page, or they may raise them during the meeting. If they emerge during the meeting, suggest that they be discussed _in_ the Discussion Item section, rather than derail other sections of the meeting. Discussion for these can be open-ended, but you should aim to wrap up the meeting within an hour. It can be handy to explicitly summarise what people intend to do as a result of the discussion. There is no requirement on you, Noisebridge the organization, or anyone else to do anything as a result of a discussion item.
+
* We need a VGA cables.
  
6. If there are '''Consensus Items''', ensure that they were raised in meeting last week (the membership needs a week's warning for consensus items). Your main job in consensus is to listen to what everyone is saying, make sure everyone gets a chance to say something, and then -- if the debate is beginning to go round in circles or settle -- propose a Position that everyone seems to agree on. If people disagree with the Position, they will wrangle some more, or someone else will propose a Position. If no-one disagrees with the Position, say "So do we consense on $POSITION?". If no one objects, ask the note-taker to record the Position. If things are getting nowhere and we're all getting bored and antsy, identify the people objecting, and ask them to discuss the problem with the proposers of Consensus Item outside the meeting, and return next week with a compromise solution.
+
* The elevator call buzzer now installed in the space for the elevator. It is very loud. If you hear it, it means that someone is trying to call the elevator from the first floor,  
  
7. '''Shout "Meeting starts now!" now''', and start reading (out loud) through the Agenda!
+
* Grey is donating a Kinect (with the intention that it should be used for cool stuff, not xbox games.) It is hackable without having to physically break it open.
  
8. '''When you are done, consult with the note-taker,''' and make sure they know what they have to do to finish their job -- especially updating the wiki, and mailing nb-discuss, and the treasurer with new membership details.
+
* Al will email Zedd about whether the disherwasher will work. There is a wiki page for it, so if you know how to hook it up to the faucet, please write down instructions: http://nburl.net/dishwasher
  
9. '''Put back the membership binder''' by the Shrine.  
+
* Claudia Z. was made a member.
  
10. '''Bathe in the glow''' of the respect of your fellow Noisebridgers.
+
* In the membership binder: Max A., Jared, Will S., Glen W., Sam P., Josh M., Alex P., Philip G., Techra
 
+
 
+
=== HOWTO note-take a meeting ===
+
 
+
0. Your moderator should give you five minutes to '''read these instructions'''. If they don't, say "Woah there cowboy, I need to know what I'm doing. Five minutes, por favor!". Use exactly those words.
+
 
+
1. This page should have a URL like "https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2010_12_28", with today's year, month and date in it. If doesn't, copy [Meeting Notes Template] to a wiki page with that kind of URL. If you don't know how to copy wiki pages, say, "Can someone help me with the Noisebridge Wiki?", and get them to create a page with that kind of URL, and then show you how to copy this page to it and edit it.
+
 
+
2. '''Edit this page.''' Add notes under each category -- you can delete any placeholder explanatory text as you go.
+
 
+
3. '''Save the wiki page when you're done''' (no-one expects you to finish as the meeting is finished; it usually takes a half-hour or so after the meeting to get everything in order). Try to hyperlink stuff that should be linked. You can delete all this patronising instructional crap. Here's [Meeting_Notes_2010_12_28 an example] of a finally edited meeting.
+
 
+
4. '''Create a page for next week's meeting''', by copying over [[Meeting Notes Template]] to an URL with next week's date in it (see step 1). If anybody proposed Consensus Items for next week, write them in here, and add them to the [[Current Consensus Items]].
+
 
+
5. If there were any consensus items decided at your meeting, '''add them to [[Consensus Items History]], and take them out of the [[Current Consensus Items]]'''.
+
 
+
6. Go to [https://www.noisebridge.net/&action=edit&section=3 the front page meetings notice] and edit the page that ''so that the Prev and Next meetings now point to this meeting notes, and the new meeting notes you just created respectively'''. (If that link is broken, it's a section half-way down the [[https://www.noisebridge.net/ front page]]
+
 
+
7. '''Important!''' Send a final copy of the notes to '''noisebridge-discuss''', and '''email treasurer@noisebridge.net the details of any new members''' (you can get all the details from the membership binder, which may now be hidden over by the shrine.)
+
 
+
8. Chill out, have a cocktail with a friendly robot, continue to rock the world.
+
 
+
== Agenda ==
+
 
+
[https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Meeting_Notes The XXXth Meeting of Noisebridge]
+
 
+
Note-taker: FIXME YOUR NAME HERE
+
 
+
Moderator: FIXME THEIR NAME HERE
+
+
 
+
=== Introduction and Names ===
+
* [[Noisebridge_Vision|What Noisebridge is about]]: "Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."
+
* Round of introductions: What's your name, what do you do, and if you are new, how did you hear about Noisebridge? Start with the moderator and go left.
+
* [[Consensus Process|A brief primer on consensus process]]: We agree and so should you! Only paid-up members can block consensus.
+
 
+
=== Announcements ===
+
  
 
=== Financial Report ===
 
=== Financial Report ===
Funds in bank:  
+
Funds in bank: $16,765.14
 +
Dues for January: $3,400 (expected: about $3,000)
 +
Donations for January: $1,290
  
 
=== Membership Binder ===
 
=== Membership Binder ===
Line 89: Line 57:
 
* [[Circuit_Hacking_Mondays|Circuit Hacking Mondays]] (Monday, 7PM,  E Lab)
 
* [[Circuit_Hacking_Mondays|Circuit Hacking Mondays]] (Monday, 7PM,  E Lab)
 
* [[iPhone OS developer weekly meetup]]  -- (Monday, 6PM, A. Church) Meetups are becoming increasingly well attended, interested Noisebridge folks are encouraged to sign up at http://meetup.com/iphonedevsf , as that is where any important announcements and discussions take place. Contact [[User:Nickthedude | Nickthedude]] with any questions.  
 
* [[iPhone OS developer weekly meetup]]  -- (Monday, 6PM, A. Church) Meetups are becoming increasingly well attended, interested Noisebridge folks are encouraged to sign up at http://meetup.com/iphonedevsf , as that is where any important announcements and discussions take place. Contact [[User:Nickthedude | Nickthedude]] with any questions.  
* [[Pyclass]] - Mondays (Monday, 7PM, A. Turing)
+
* [[Pyclass]] - Mondays (Monday, 6:30PM, A. Turing) Working On Django now.
 
* [[Cooking_Classes |Tastebridge cooking class]] - (Tuesday, ~5PM, NoiseKitchen)
 
* [[Cooking_Classes |Tastebridge cooking class]] - (Tuesday, ~5PM, NoiseKitchen)
* [[Probability]] (Tuesdays, 7.30pm, A. Church)
+
* [[Ruby_class]] (Tuesdays, 7.00pm, A. Church) - Covering databases for the next few weeks.
* [[Unityversity |GameDevelopment]] - (Wednesday, 7PM, E Lab/Main Hall]]
+
* [[Probability]] (Tuesdays, 7.30pm, A. Turing)
 
* [[Cultured_Drinks_Brewing_Program |Tastebridge culturing]] - (Wednesday, ~6PM, NoiseKitchen)
 
* [[Cultured_Drinks_Brewing_Program |Tastebridge culturing]] - (Wednesday, ~6PM, NoiseKitchen)
 +
* [[Linux_System_Administration_Study_Group]] - (Wednesday, 6PM, A. Turing)
 +
* [[Unityversity |GameDevelopment]] - (Wednesday, 7PM, E Lab/Main Hall]]
 
* [[SCoW]] craft group - (Wednesday, 7PM, SCoW area)
 
* [[SCoW]] craft group - (Wednesday, 7PM, SCoW area)
 
* [[Machine_Learning]] - (Wednesday, 7:30PM, A. Church)
 
* [[Machine_Learning]] - (Wednesday, 7:30PM, A. Church)
* Linux System administration certification study group - (Wednesday, 6PM, A. Turing)
 
 
* [[Spacebridge]] - (Sundays, Main Hall)
 
* [[Spacebridge]] - (Sundays, Main Hall)
 
* Knots, [[Go]], and [[Locks!]] - (Sunday afternoon, Main Hall)
 
* Knots, [[Go]], and [[Locks!]] - (Sunday afternoon, Main Hall)
Line 107: Line 76:
 
=== Project Updates ===
 
=== Project Updates ===
  
(Anyone doing interesting projects is welcome to chip in here.)
+
None
  
 
=== Consensus items ===
 
=== Consensus items ===
 +
 +
* Should we buy stickers? (Mitch will have details on cost, etc.)
  
 
=== Discussion Items ===
 
=== Discussion Items ===
 +
* pay a cleaning service to clean the bathrooms?
 +
** [[User:Adi|adi]] got a quote from Santos Cleaning for $150/mo to clean both bathrooms once a week (Sunday noon-ish).
 +
* pay for the PO box on Market St? $240 for 12 months. The address is 2261 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94114 #235A
 +
The PO box place's phone number is 415-626-2575. It costs us $20 a month. This place also accepts UPS packages and is cool with it sitting around for a while waiting to be picked up. Seth will contact the state and our insurance company with our updated info.
 +
 +
* Mitch brings up that we're out of stickers. 2000 red stickers, 1000 white, and 500 little red cost us $700 before. JackPrint is the company we used, and they do a good job. Miloh and Josh recommended another place that was cheaper. Mitch says he'll look into it. This will be a consensus item next week.
  
''(Add any new items for consensus to the [[Current_Consensus_Items|Current Consensus Items]] page.)''
+
* What do we do with hiatus members who are incommunicado? The decision we made a long time ago was that if they were on hiatus but did not tell anyone, then after 3 months of not paying dues they were no longer a member. (This was an official consensus item made at some point in the past.)
  
 
=== End of Meeting ===
 
=== End of Meeting ===

Latest revision as of 13:42, 3 February 2011


Contents

[edit] Agenda

The 145th Meeting of Noisebridge

Note-taker: Al

Moderator: Seth

About 15ish people attended this meeting, along with Al (board member), Seth (Secretary), and Kelly (Treasurer).

[edit] Introduction and Names

  • What Noisebridge is about: "Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."
  • Round of introductions: What's your name, what do you do, and if you are new, how did you hear about Noisebridge? Start with the moderator and go left.
  • A brief primer on consensus process: We agree and so should you! Only paid-up members can block consensus.

[edit] Announcements

  • We need a VGA cables.
  • The elevator call buzzer now installed in the space for the elevator. It is very loud. If you hear it, it means that someone is trying to call the elevator from the first floor,
  • Grey is donating a Kinect (with the intention that it should be used for cool stuff, not xbox games.) It is hackable without having to physically break it open.
  • Al will email Zedd about whether the disherwasher will work. There is a wiki page for it, so if you know how to hook it up to the faucet, please write down instructions: http://nburl.net/dishwasher
  • Claudia Z. was made a member.
  • In the membership binder: Max A., Jared, Will S., Glen W., Sam P., Josh M., Alex P., Philip G., Techra

[edit] Financial Report

Funds in bank: $16,765.14 Dues for January: $3,400 (expected: about $3,000) Donations for January: $1,290

[edit] Membership Binder

  • Read off any names from the binder for the past month.
  • Anyone up for join this week should introduce themselves then leave the area in search of gifts (traditionally beer and a lime) for the rest of the group. The rest of the meeting should consense on whether they may join.

[edit] What's Going On at Noisebridge

One short sentence about each of the following:

[edit] Weekly

For locations at Noisebridge, see a map of the 2169 location of Noisebridge.

[edit] Non-weekly

[edit] Project Updates

None

[edit] Consensus items

  • Should we buy stickers? (Mitch will have details on cost, etc.)

[edit] Discussion Items

  • pay a cleaning service to clean the bathrooms?
    • adi got a quote from Santos Cleaning for $150/mo to clean both bathrooms once a week (Sunday noon-ish).
  • pay for the PO box on Market St? $240 for 12 months. The address is 2261 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94114 #235A

The PO box place's phone number is 415-626-2575. It costs us $20 a month. This place also accepts UPS packages and is cool with it sitting around for a while waiting to be picked up. Seth will contact the state and our insurance company with our updated info.

  • Mitch brings up that we're out of stickers. 2000 red stickers, 1000 white, and 500 little red cost us $700 before. JackPrint is the company we used, and they do a good job. Miloh and Josh recommended another place that was cheaper. Mitch says he'll look into it. This will be a consensus item next week.
  • What do we do with hiatus members who are incommunicado? The decision we made a long time ago was that if they were on hiatus but did not tell anyone, then after 3 months of not paying dues they were no longer a member. (This was an official consensus item made at some point in the past.)

[edit] End of Meeting

  • PGP Key Signing could happen now, check the list to see who wants in on the action.
  • Put back the membership binder by the Shrine.
  • Save the meeting notes to the wiki.
  • Send a copy of the meeting notes to the discussion list.
  • Copy the Meeting Notes Template for next week's agenda and update the main wiki page's link to it.
  • Enjoy a cocktail with your fellow hacker or robot.
Personal tools