Meeting Notes 2011 05 24
- 1 Agenda
- 1.1 Introduction and Names
- 1.2 Announcements
- 1.3 Financial Report
- 1.4 Membership Binder
- 1.5 What's Going On at Noisebridge
- 1.6 Upcoming Events
- 1.7 Mondays
- 1.8 Super Tuesdays!
- 1.9 Wednesdays
- 1.10 Thursdays
- 1.11 Fridays
- 1.12 Saturdays
- 1.13 Sundays
- 1.14 Other Bay Area Consortium of Hackerspaces Events
- 1.15 Project Updates
- 1.16 Consensus items
- 1.17 Discussion Items
- 1.18 End of Meeting
Note-taker: Liz Henry
Moderator: Danny O'Brien
Introduction and Names
- What Noisebridge is about: "Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."
- Round of introductions: Danny. Max from Portland. Mike, Kelly who hacks brains and your money, the guy eating dinner, some people at other table, John the australian guy, Shannon, and some Arduino people, Randall, Alex, Ilya the guy doing Hack Politics, Ryan, Julian, Philip who is writing code, Steve here for the first time, and the entire German Corner.
What's going on at Noisebridge. Go look at the wiki. We have 5 minutes of fame, we did lots of Maker Faire things, vegan hacking coming up, SF chapter of the Open organization of lock pickers who will do their event as soon as they can break in. BioBridge, Django, etc. Danny explains BioBridge which is an Arduino thing set up to sense things about the kombucha. They measure turbidity, temperature, ph, and so on. They got a Maker Faire 2011 editor's choice award. Hey, cool, the brewing project spawned an electronics project. Second Saturday is coming up in 3 weeks for June and is for infrastructure hacking. We are a do-ocracy etc etc. New guy Ryan asks who to talk with because his company is just donating some servers. Kelly says to email the rack list (https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo) and ask.
Crutcher is putting together a group on meta-heuristic optimization. He has been putting a lot of time into it lately and wants to know if anyone else is interested.
Funds in bank: 16,913.79. Rent has not gone through yet, so subtract rent from that. There is also another transfer about to go through. Tshirt money from Maker Faire has not come in yet.
Our taxes. Which were late. We forgot to file an extension. Our tax guy, we have issues with him. He did our taxes last year and they were screwed up. He had to redo them and claimed his assistant did them wrong. OUr treasurer caught the errors. He said he would do our taxes for free this year in exchange. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea. We should have hired someone else. He told us the late fee was $20 a month but the IRS tells us it is $20 per business day , since the 16th. We sent him our information on the 19th and we haven't heard back from him and then finally this morning heard from him. He can't get to our stuff for another week or so. ($20 a day). What do people think we should do at this point?
We don't pay any taxes, we just file a 990N. But it is complex enough to need someone professional to do it for us. How did we find this guy? He's a hipster accountant. T*x N*nja. Feedback from people at the meeting: Why would we ever trust this guy again?
What other non profits might talk with us about what they do or rec us a tax person? Hackerdojo? Walk SF? Box Shop?
Ryan Salisbury is now been read for 4 weeks and is up for membership Eric Steinberg Ryan wants to be a member because the space looks interesting and could be useful to him, tools are awesome, and he wants to support the space and the work it does. Crutcher who is wearing a red shirt that says BLOCK asks if he likes arguments that go on and on and on and on. Ryan says, give him an example of an argument. And that some are good for the mailing list, like bedbugs, which he has seen no evidence of. Kelly grills Ryan on his feelings about consensus decision making. Ryan mentions radical bike activism and thinks consensus okay but would tend to drop out of exhausting long arguments rather than blocking for reasons he doesn't feel very strongly about it. Alex says he has good insight into plasma treating polyurethane or something. Woo! Gosh we are asking Ryan quite a lot of questions. Ryan contributed to iChat's videoconferencing framework and various other software projects. People are asking Ryan quite a lot of questions. We devolve into general Apple dev gossip. Apparently he brought several 6 packs already. He goes off to Safeway for a while.
Ryan is discussed briefly and is now a member.
What's Going On at Noisebridge
One short sentence about each of the following:
This is the active list of events from the main page:
A subscribable calendar of events can be found here.
Key: W: Weekly 1st 2nd 3rd 4th: Certain weeks -2nd: Except certain weeks S: Streaming
- HackComedy May 14: Comedy night resuming a monthly schedule after re-debuting at NB14.
- Resident Electronic Music May 10 8pm: Resident Electronic Music Monthly. an electronic music open mic.
- 5 Minutes of Fame: May 19, 6pm-9pm Talks at 7pm. 10 5 minute talks in an hour! Sign up to talk on the wiki.
- W 3:00 pm - 9:00 pm Noisebridge is open!
- W 6:30 pm Circuit Hacking Monday -- learn electronics, and how to solder
- W S 7:00 pm Noisebridge Weekly Meeting - (In person & online) - Introducing new people and events to the space, adding new members / philanthropists, announcements, general discussion, and decision-making.
This is your space, folks. Come on out here in person to express what you think about what's going on with it! You can join the meeting remotely by clicking the online video link chat via Jitsi (similar to Zoom).
- June 21, 3:30pm - 4:30pm 80 engineering students from Barcelona are coming for a tour! (Lizzard to host)
- W S 7:00 pm Machine Learning AI and RL Meetup at Noisebridge until 9!
- W S 8:00 - 11:00 pm Gamebridge game development mentoring & coworking meetup for gamedev beginners and indies alike.
- W S 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm To-do-ocracy Thursdays, where work together on our task list.
- W S 6:00 pm NeurotechX SF hacknights for mind-machine interfacing with EEGs.
- 3rd S 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm Five Minutes of Fame a.k.a. 5MoF - Ten 5min talks in an hour, on any topic on the 3rd Thursday of the month.
- W 7:00pm-8:30pm BookBridge! - Informal book club, no assigned reading. Talk about books. Meetup.
- W TRASH NIGHT - Please take out all three large trash bins!! They are behind the front stairs.
- W 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm Open Open for FreeCodeCamp with Paul_H as host
- W 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm Open Open for Chess Meetup!
- W 6:00 pm - 11:00 pm: Open We are open Friday evenings!
- W 6:00-7:00 pm Sewing Project Night - Sewing project meetup with free starter fabrics where you can learn how to use our sewing station.
- W 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm Noisebridge is open! Come hack and we may stay open later
- W 12:30 pm - 2:30 pm Let'sMakeStuff: Engineers+Designers+Artist+Make (Meetup Page)
- W 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm Hack on Noisebridge!
- W 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm Noisebridge is open!
- 2nd 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm Fabrication 101 2nd Shop Sundays class on safety and basic techniques
- 3rd March 20, April 17, 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm TOOOL-SF locksport meetup of The SF Chapter of the Open Organisation Of Lockpickers.
- 2nd S April 10, May 8, June 12, 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm BAHA: Bay Area Hackers' Association Security Hacking Meeting 2nd Sundays at 272 and via Jitsi
Other Bay Area Consortium of Hackerspaces Events
- Circuit Launch: 3rd Friday 5:30pm-8:30pm Robot Build Night & Fixit Clinic
- SudoRoom: Hardware Hacking Tuesdays 6:30pm
- Second Saturdays are Noisebridge hackathon:
a casual monthly event dedicated to working on the space or relevant projects and building community. This is a great time to get feedback or help on any projects you have been considering that center around the space, culture, and infrastructure of Noisebridge. You can also help with existing projects and find out ways to get involved.
- Five Minutes of Fame
- Bay Area Hackers Association - (Second Sunday, 2PM)
(Anyone doing interesting projects is welcome to chip in here.)
(Danny O'B up for secretary)
(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)
Danny recuses himself from being the moderator for the meeting since he is the subject of it. Item, that Noisebridge make Danny O'Brien secretary. This was discussed last week. Some people expressed uneasiness that Danny has TOO MUCH POWER.
Crutcher, who is wearing a hilarious bright red tshirt that says BLOCK on it, remarks that Danny looks rather shifty.
What does the secretary do? They interface with companies for us. They see to it that notes are taken at meetings. They negotiate with insurance so Kelly doesn't have to, and track the membership stuff. Stuff that is necessary which isn't actually bookkeeping. Kelly just wants a helper to do a bunch of work, basically, and Danny has agreed to do it.
No one blocks.
Danny adds in that SETH HAS BEEN VERY AWESOME as secretary.
End of Meeting
- PGP Key Signing could happen now, check the list to see who wants in on the action.
- Put back the membership binder by the Shrine.
- Save the meeting notes to the wiki.
- Send a copy of the meeting notes to the discussion list.
- Copy the Meeting Notes Template for next week's agenda and update the main wiki page's link to it.
- Enjoy a cocktail with your fellow hacker or robot.