Meeting Notes 2011 05 31
- 1 Agenda
- 1.1 Introduction and Names
- 1.2 Announcements
- 1.3 Financial Report
- 1.4 Membership Binder
- 1.5 What's Going On at Noisebridge
- 1.6 Upcoming Events edit
- 1.7 Recurring Events edit
- 1.8 Project Updates
- 1.9 Consensus items
- 1.10 Discussion Items
- 1.11 MEETING CONCLUDED.
Note-taker: Will / wsargent
Moderator: Kelly / hurtstotouchfire
Introduction and Names
- What Noisebridge is about: "Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."
- Round of introductions:
- Eric - Linux Hacker / Engineer
- Rayce - entrepeneur
- Ben - registered vegan
- John - likes alcohol and coke
- Mike - tinkerer and techno... techno... launderer?
- Mikolai - gene hacker - NY
- Walka(?) - likes kiteboard(?)
- Will - Notetaker
- Owen - Creative
- Zessina - Psychology
- Evan - style and programming
- Allan - Serial Killer and Mycologist
- Lee - Video Game Designer
- Kelly - treasurer and neuroscience winnah
- A brief primer on consensus process: We agree and so should you! Only paid-up members can block consensus.
- Maker Faire!
- 2000 Stickers handed out
- Many more people coming to space
- 3100 (yes, three thousand one hundred) people trained how to solder
- Noisebridge In Depth This Thursday (6/2/2011)!
- Topic is "Strange signals that our bodies give out" and is very interesting
- Zedd is moving and needs more publicity.
- $15131.18 total balance
- Paid rent for June
- Maker Fair Money has come in
- Two months operating expenses on hand, we ideally want three
- Meredith had TV company in and they made a donation? Unconfirmed.
- Q: Is Noisebridge trademarked? A: It's not a registered trademark, but trademark law automatically gives legal ownership.
- Eric Steinburg - has two signatures, John + [Illegible] but is legit and up for membership
- Believes in beer, but is anti-lime in beer.
- Eric is an engineer and artist, does all the AV work for SF City Hall
- He is also producing a TV show [ break for Amanda providing bread pudding ]
- Q: How do you feel about consensus? A: I see it every day at work -- politics is a process of consensus.
- Q: How do you feel about blocking? A: Blocking is necessary some times.
- Eric goes outside for discussion
- Has donated chemicals to Noisebridge, been seen around the space, multiple contacts
- Consensus reached: Eric is now a member of Noisebridge.
- Eric Steinburg - has two signatures, John + [Illegible] but is legit and up for membership
What's Going On at Noisebridge
This is the active list of events from the main page:
Not all events make it onto this calendar. And some of the listings here may be out of date.
Many events only make it to the Discussion or Announcements mailing lists, IRC, our Noisebridge Meetup page <https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge>, or in person at Tuesday meetings. Best of all, Noisebridge is about people getting together at the space in San Francisco to do stuff. DO pay attention, as some eventSs just arise organically from the bottom up!
Want to host your event at Noisebridge? We like seeing classes and talks on interesting things pertaining to various subjects of hacking. Most of all, we like seeing familiar faces. Please participate in the space and our weekly Tuesday meetings to see if we're the right audience for what you want to share before announcing a new event. Additionally, please see our events hosting page for suggestions on how to use Noisebridge for your event/class/workshop.
Resources For Hosting Events
Sunday, March 17, 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM --  Pre GDC Talk- Future Of Immersion And The Creation Of The Next Layer Of Reality.
Friday, March 22, 2019, 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM -- Hacking (Security) 101! by Nate Graf
Some basic knowledge about how networks work and how to break them fun, but probably not profit (that would be at least 201). This would be a hands-on interactive event using some infrastructure I’ve built to facilitate hacking competitions over the internet. So no one is walking away without having intercepting some packets and popped some reverse shells. Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert in this topic; part of the reason it’s a 101. :p
Sunday, March 31, 2019, 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM -- Design and Laser Cut Acrylic Keyguards
We will be at the Hackitorium, designing acrylic keyguards for iPads that are used by people with cerebral palsy; using Inkscape, or Fusion360, or some other SVG/vector program to create the designs. Hosted by AbilityHacks (a local nonprofit, https://abilityhacks.org/).
Saturday, April 27, 19:00 -- Our Big Gala Fundraiser at Noisebridge.
The 27-April-2019 Gala Party & Fundraiser has all sorts of fun activities like #5MoF Five Minutes of Fame, music, art gallery, silent auction of unique goods either made at Noisebridge or by Noisebridgers!
Would you like to perform, display or donate your art, give a 5-minute talk at 5MoF, or volunteer? Join the discussion in #gala-wg or email email@example.com
E - Every week.
1st - Certain weeks, e.g. 1st week only.
-2nd - Except certain weeks, or other schedule exceptions.
- E Take Out the Trash Night - Be sure to put bins out by midnight as the trash truck comes between 1:30 to 2:30am.
- 2nd 6:00pm to 8:00 pm Make:SF Project Build Hello Makers, We continue our maker journey and our December MeetUp will be at the historic NoiseBridge! We'll have our usual selection of projects. Each one is merely $10, and you take it home with you after you build it with our gear. December we have an additional food project. If you have your own project or idea, bring it! First timers and skilled makers come to this meetup and its always fun and informative. RSVP to our Meetup page and I will connect you with the info on how you too can be excellent at NoiseBridge.  Mondays are very busy at NoiseBridge. We predict you will return to NoiseBridge soon for their classes. Diana 271-4286.
- 3rd Mondays is the original Circuit Hacking Mondays. Learn to solder! And make cool things with electronics. People can bring kits-for-purchase to make cool, hackable things for all skill levels that you can bring home after you make them! Many designed for absolute beginners! Bring your own projects to hack! Bring things to fix! All ages. All are welcome! See the Discuss list and the Announce list for weekly updates.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Intermediate Python with PyClass - Crash course in the Python standard library. Monday session is held in Church Classroom.
- E 7:00 pm to 11:30 pm Gamebridge Unityversity Game Dev Tuesdays - Beginner-friendly game development class and meetup, learn and share C# Unity coding, 2D/3D art, design, writing and audio. Learn how to mentor and help teach game dev. (Noise Square Table).
- E 8:00 pm Noisebridge Weekly Meeting - Introducing new people and events to the space, general discussion, and decision-making on key issues. This is your space, folks. Come on out here in person to express what you think about what's going on with it!
- E 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm - Whiteboarding & Algorithms Workshop - Wednesday Edition - Let's practice whiteboarding, algorithms, and other interviewing techniques together!! =D This event will be in the Hackitorium!! ^_^ (This is also a support group for job
- E 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm Dream Team Neuro Hackery - EEG research & development project with general interest in sleep, dreaming, creative intelligence, and many loosely related topics such as: neurophysiology, signal processing, cognitive neuroscience, and (especially) hacking code and devices for data acquisition and analysis. Join us at the CollaborationStation (near the Hackatorium). Expect general discussion around 8 PM - usually moving along by 9 PM to focus on more technical aspects of current project.
- E Trash Night -- Round Two - Take out the trash for Friday morning! Do it by midnight as truck comes ~1:30am to 2:30am.
- 3rdE 8:00 pm to 9:00pm Five Minutes of Fame a.k.a. 5MoF - Ten 5min talks in an hour, on any topic on the 3rd Thursday of the month.
- lastE 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM -- Queer Game Dev Meetup (QGDM) in the Noisebridge HackItorium -- Come check out the next Queer Game Dev Meetup, in the Mission District in San Francisco. Here you will find other queer game devs, game-making enthusiasts, and be a part of an inclusive community that welcomes everyone who is interested in creating games. With language support in English, Español, and Português!
- 3rd Friday Noisebridge Gaming Archivists Meetup 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm -- Come play, fix, mod retro consoles. Create and play is our motto! If you like video games, this is the place for you.
- E 7:00 pm to 8:00 am Hacknights happens every friday rain or shine, its the magical night when Noisebridge is open to the public ALL NIGHT LONG!! Meet in Hackitorium RSVP by following this link https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/events/254878863/
- E 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm Technology & Computerology & Systemology --- Technology: The study of creating, use, evolution and history of things. Computerology: The study of computers, or any kind of work with computers; computing. Systemology: The study and evolution of systems.
- E 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm FUN Tutoring in Church or CollaborationStation
- 3rd (until October 26, 2019)E 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM -- Saturday Afternoon Figure Drawing! -- Come draw with us! Sketchboard Community is an affordable figure drawing meetup, hosted at various venues that support artists with live music and some art supplies provided! 1 model, long poses, with a few gesture poses in the first hour. Noisebridge aim to provide a space for people to hack, create, learn, and explore in a safe, welcoming, and accessible environment. Entry is a $5-25 sliding scale donation and go towards paying models, musicians, organizers & the venues. If you can't pay $, please help volunteer, promote, or bring friends so we can keep the event affordable & accessible! You can also sign up to volunteer via eventbrite. All mediums are welcomed, but please being a tarp is you plan on using oil or any water soluble medium or graphite. We provide some art supplies, easels, and tables for your use. This is a supportive, body-positive, creative space for people of all ages, identities, and experience levels. Any questions, please ask Brittany or Natalie: firstname.lastname@example.org
- E 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm - Whiteboarding & Algorithms Workshop - Saturday Edition - Let's practice whiteboarding, algorithms, and other interviewing techniques together!! =D This event will be in the Hackitorium!! ^_^ (This is also a support group for job-hunters.)
- E 11:00 am to 1:00 pm Sunday Morning iOS Peer Lab Meetup - iOS Meetup for people want to hack together. Feel free to do whatever you want: work on your project, ask and teach each other, have a chat with folks. Please check out iOS Peer Lab Meetup page for upcoming schedule. https://www.meetup.com/iOS-peer-lab/
- alternating weekly 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm -- 101 Intro to Ableton Live in the Hackitorium. Anyone with an interest in making music on their computer is welcome to participate. All welcome, no experience necessary.
- alternating monthly 1:00 pm Monthly Lock Sport Collaboration: Come learn how to pick locks and learn more about them with the SF Bay Area chapter of TOOOL. The group meets on alternating months at Noisebridge and in San Jose. Check the [httpsS://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/tooolsf TOOOL SF announcement list] for details.
- alternating weekly 4:00 pm to 5:30 pm - audioChurch Potluck by Gnar Center - is a great 90 minutes in which to share your audio or video project! Instruments, Projects, Pre-recorded Music, Software and Hardware are fine! Bring a snack + project to share, or just hang out. See our meetup, facebook or official Event page for details
- Second Saturdays are Noisebridge hackathon:
a casual monthly event dedicated to working on the space or relevant projects and building community. This is a great time to get feedback or help on any projects you have been considering that center around the space, culture, and infrastructure of Noisebridge. You can also help with existing projects and find out ways to get involved.
- Five Minutes of Fame
- Bay Area Hackers Association - (Second Sunday, 2PM)
- Maker Faire covered in announcements, nothing else immediately up...
- Eric added as new member.
- Small things have gone missing - laptop charger, phone, a laptop off member shelves
- What are thoughts on providing noisebridge lockers on member shelves?
- Mitch: stuff probably disappears at Noisebridge through chaos rather than malice
- Lots of people know how to pick locks at Noisebridge
- Mike: better labelling for member shelves? Still doesn't solve stuff "moving" such as Mike's expensive footstool
- Kelly + Will: is that if you have stuff you don't want to go missing, it's fine to buy a container and take measures to secure it. Just know that some people might take that as a challenge.
- No consensus reached, best handled do-ocratically.
- Some discussion on better labelling for member shelves, possibly adding a curtain.
- Laser Cutting Workshop!
- Teaching people how to laser cut! (did not get details of who / when / where)
- Z-Brush Sculpting Class!
- Lee: Interested, wants to see who else wants it
- Android "Thing"
- Course? Happening? Would like to happen? Unclear.
- BASE people haven't been seen for a while, need to send someone to meeting