Meeting Notes 2011 05 31
Note-taker: Will / wsargent
Moderator: Kelly / hurtstotouchfire
Introduction and Names
- What Noisebridge is about: "Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."
- Round of introductions:
- Eric - Linux Hacker / Engineer
- Rayce - entrepeneur
- Ben - registered vegan
- John - likes alcohol and coke
- Mike - tinkerer and techno... techno... launderer?
- Mikolai - gene hacker - NY
- Walka(?) - likes kiteboard(?)
- Will - Notetaker
- Owen - Creative
- Zessina - Psychology
- Evan - style and programming
- Allan - Serial Killer and Mycologist
- Lee - Video Game Designer
- Kelly - treasurer and neuroscience winnah
- A brief primer on consensus process: We agree and so should you! Only paid-up members can block consensus.
- Maker Faire!
- 2000 Stickers handed out
- Many more people coming to space
- 3100 (yes, three thousand one hundred) people trained how to solder
- Noisebridge In Depth This Thursday (6/2/2011)!
- Topic is "Strange signals that our bodies give out" and is very interesting
- Zedd is moving and needs more publicity.
- $15131.18 total balance
- Paid rent for June
- Maker Fair Money has come in
- Two months operating expenses on hand, we ideally want three
- Meredith had TV company in and they made a donation? Unconfirmed.
- Q: Is Noisebridge trademarked? A: It's not a registered trademark, but trademark law automatically gives legal ownership.
- Eric Steinburg - has two signatures, John + [Illegible] but is legit and up for membership
- Believes in beer, but is anti-lime in beer.
- Eric is an engineer and artist, does all the AV work for SF City Hall
- He is also producing a TV show [ break for Amanda providing bread pudding ]
- Q: How do you feel about consensus? A: I see it every day at work -- politics is a process of consensus.
- Q: How do you feel about blocking? A: Blocking is necessary some times.
- Eric goes outside for discussion
- Has donated chemicals to Noisebridge, been seen around the space, multiple contacts
- Consensus reached: Eric is now a member of Noisebridge.
- Eric Steinburg - has two signatures, John + [Illegible] but is legit and up for membership
What's Going On at Noisebridge
This is the active list of events from the main page:
Not all events make it onto this calendar. Many events only make it to the Discussion or Announcements mailing lists, IRC or in person at Tuesday meetings. Best of all, Noisebridge is about people getting together at the space in San Francisco to do stuff. DO pay attention, as some events just arise organically from the bottom up!
Want to host your event at Noisebridge? We like seeing classes and talks on interesting things pertaining to various subjects of hacking. Most of all, we like seeing familiar faces. Please participate in the space and our weekly Tuesday meetings to see if we're the right audience for what you want to share before announcing a new event. Additionally, please see our events hosting page for suggestions on how to use Noisebridge for your event/class/workshop.
Upcoming Events edit
Shop Safety Class, Learn how to use the dirty shop and all of its toys and tools! Wednesday, February 17, 19:00:
5 Minutes of Fame with Guest Speaker from Pi Foundation,
The 18-Feb 5 Minutes of Fame has a guest speaker and fellow Maker at Noisebridge to provide us current information from the Pi Foundation, then we could keep him Excellently involved with our 5 Minute Questions allowing a bit of time to seek his response. Speak for 2 minutes, listen for 2 min, respond for 1 min....however you want to use your 5 minutes. Use them wisely, and most importantly have fun. Just Add Yourself!
NoiseBridge Contributor/Visitor Signup: http://doodle.com/poll/zu4nta5bpn42gnax
More Info@ Thursday, February 18, 20:00:
- The Space's 5MoF event page
- The Space's own PiBridge page
- Meetup.com event page
- Official Raspberry Pi site
- Suggested $13 space-usage fee/person for Noisebridge's ideal Openness and continued Excellence; No person ought to be intentionally denied admittance due to lack of fund$.
Speaker from Raspberry Pi Foundation: http://mattrichardson.com/ , MC Kitten-Herder , Raspberry Pi Zero , Arduino
GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES, The 20-Feb GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES has Noisebands and gourmet vegan pancakes!
Bands: Guillermo Galindo, Leah Peah (VA), Alien Slang, Fenian (L.A.), Nature vs Man (NYC) Saturday, February 20, 12:00:
SF Amateur Mathematicians, Differential Geometry and Wide-Angle Photography with Chad Fong. In Church Room. See Meetup page. SF Amateur Mathematicians is a math club open to everyone interested in learning more about math. Topics and talks generally assume some collegiate mathematical background. Thursday, February 25, 19:00:
GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES, The 12-Mar GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES has Noisebands and gourmet vegan pancakes!
Bands: TBD Saturday, March 12, 12:00:
Noisebridge Gamerspace at Game Developer's Conference, ***DATE TENTATIVE*** Noisebridge <3's Games Art Makerfest @ GDC Thursday, March 17, 21:00:
Recurring Events edit
E - Every week.
1st - Certain weeks, e.g. 1st week only.
-2nd - Except certain weeks, or other schedule exceptions.
- E 7:30 pm to 10:00 pm Circuit Hacking Mondays - Learn to solder! And make cool things with electronics. Mitch, J, Rolf, Miloh, Cedric, Cheng, Greg, and/or a host of others will bring kits-for-purchase to make cool, hackable things for all skill levels that you can bring home after you make them! Many designed for absolute beginners! Bring your own projects to hack! Bring things to fix! All ages. All are welcome! See the Discuss list and the Announce list for weekly updates.
- E 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm Front-end Web Development - No lecture 2016-02-15! Learn HTML/CSS/JS. A series of talks on different topics every week, taught in the Church classroom. Recap of last week's material starts at 7:30 pm. Join the WebDev list or the Announce list for updates.
- E Take Out the Trash Night -- Round One Be sure to put bins out by midnight as the trash truck comes between 1:30 to 2:30am.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Intermediate Python with PyClass - Crash course in the Python standard library. Monday session is held in Turing Classroom.
- E 5:00 pm to 7:30 pm Songbridge Music Making Tuesdays - Beginner-friendly music making and mentoring meetup with Ableton/GarageBand/Logic tutorials for beginners and peer collabs. (Noise Square Table).
- 1st 3rd 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm Sewing and Crafting - Come learn how to use the sewing machines or just work on a craft (e.g. knitting, crocheting, felt working, embroidery, leatherworking, beading, etc.). All skill levels are welcome.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Ruby and Rails class - Seminar and workshop for learning everything about Ruby, Rails, and web application development (Church classroom). See the Announce list for weekly updates.
- E 8:30 pm to 11:30 pm Gamebridge Unityversity Game Dev Tuesdays - Beginner-friendly game development class and meetup, learn and share C# Unity coding, 2D/3D art, design, writing and audio. Learn how to mentor and help teach game dev. (Noise Square Table).
- E 7:30 pm Noisebridge Weekly Meeting - Introducing new people and events to the space, general discussion, and decision-making on key issues. This is your space, folks. Come on out here in person to express what you think about what's going on with it!
- alternating monthly 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm - Cyberspectrum: Software Defined Radio Meetup in the Hackatorium(new): A place to learn and exchange ideas about SDR. Presentations on concepts, mystery signals, hardware/software and cool applications. Event alternates monthly between SF and the South Bay.
- 1st 7:30pm to 10pm Art with Software in Church room. Present your personal and expressive art made with software/hardware of your making and get feedback and critical dialogue from fellow artist/technologists. Find collaborators and find better ways to make such work. Event info and registration is specifically on the group's Meetup webpage here. Meeting monthly (first Wednesday of each month) in 2016.
- E 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm Dream Team Neuro Hackery - EEG research & development project with general interest in sleep, dreaming, creative intelligence, and many loosely related topics such as: neurophysiology, signal processing, cognitive neuroscience, and (especially) hacking code and devices for data acquisition and analysis. Join us at the CollaborationStation (near the Hackatorium). Expect general discussion around 8 PM - usually moving along by 9 PM to focus on more technical aspects of current project.
- E 8:00 pm to 9:30 pm Raspberry Pi - NEW PiBridge Raspberry Pi Hacking Group is a meetup to explore on Raspberry Pi-based projects. Gain momentum and achiving successes! (2/05/16). Meeting lateral to the Pi Student Learning Station in the Hackatorium, opportunity to move to classroom depending on events this Wednesday.
- E Trash Night -- Round Two - Take out the trash for Friday morning! Do it by midnight as truck comes ~1:30am to 2:30am.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Front-end Web Development Lab - No lab 2016-02-18! Understand by doing! A recap of Monday's lecture in workshop form - and a good time for one-on-one help with the material. Meets in Turing.
- 2nd 7:00pm to 9:00pm Cryptopal working group - Learn cryptography through coding challenges that demonstrate attacks on real-world cryptography. A different way to learn than taking a class or reading a book!
- 3rd 7:00 pm Five Minutes of Fame a.k.a. 5MoF - lightning 5min talks every 3rd Thursday of the month
- 1st 3rd 5th 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm Computerology in Turing or CollaborationStation, understanding and using computers
- 1st 3rd 5th 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm FUN Tutoring @ CollaborationStation
- 3rd Noisebridge Gaming Archivists Meetup 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm -- Come play, fix, mod retro consoles. Create and play is our motto! If you like video games, this is the place for you.
- E 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm CPP Class discussion in Hackitorum/Fox Lounge/Church. Currently looking for folks wanting to help plan out lessons.
- E 1:00 pm Zine Hacking Hacking on the good ol' fashioned analog Zine with Torrie, Mari and anyone who wants to come and be excellent and make excellent art.
- alternating monthly 3:00 pm Goths & Crafts Spooky people making spooky things in the sewing area. All kinds of crafts welcome and things don't necessarily have to be goth. But if you have an eye towards the darker side of the color spectrum, this may be for you!
- E 12:30 pm to 7:30 pm Dungeons and Dragons in Church, currently looking for new players.
- alternating monthly 1:00 pm Monthly Lock Sport Collaboration: Come learn how to pick locks and learn more about them with the SF Bay Area chapter of TOOOL. The group meets on alternating months at Noisebridge and in San Jose. Check the TOOOL SF announcement list for details.
- E 3:00 pm Go - Playing of the Go board game. On nice days we often take the boards to Dolores Park and play there.
- E 6:00 pm Plan 9 class (if not Noisebridge check Sycamore)
- E 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm .impact Workathons in Turing classrom. Work on projects that will help humanity & beyond.
- Second Saturdays are Noisebridge hackathon:
a casual monthly event dedicated to working on the space or relevant projects and building community. This is a great time to get feedback or help on any projects you have been considering that center around the space, culture, and infrastructure of Noisebridge. You can also help with existing projects and find out ways to get involved.
- Five Minutes of Fame
- Bay Area Hackers Association - (Second Sunday, 2PM)
- Maker Faire covered in announcements, nothing else immediately up...
- Eric added as new member.
- Small things have gone missing - laptop charger, phone, a laptop off member shelves
- What are thoughts on providing noisebridge lockers on member shelves?
- Mitch: stuff probably disappears at Noisebridge through chaos rather than malice
- Lots of people know how to pick locks at Noisebridge
- Mike: better labelling for member shelves? Still doesn't solve stuff "moving" such as Mike's expensive footstool
- Kelly + Will: is that if you have stuff you don't want to go missing, it's fine to buy a container and take measures to secure it. Just know that some people might take that as a challenge.
- No consensus reached, best handled do-ocratically.
- Some discussion on better labelling for member shelves, possibly adding a curtain.
- Laser Cutting Workshop!
- Teaching people how to laser cut! (did not get details of who / when / where)
- Z-Brush Sculpting Class!
- Lee: Interested, wants to see who else wants it
- Android "Thing"
- Course? Happening? Would like to happen? Unclear.
- BASE people haven't been seen for a while, need to send someone to meeting