Meeting Notes 2011 05 31
Note-taker: Will / wsargent
Moderator: Kelly / hurtstotouchfire
Introduction and Names
- What Noisebridge is about: "Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."
- Round of introductions:
- Eric - Linux Hacker / Engineer
- Rayce - entrepeneur
- Ben - registered vegan
- John - likes alcohol and coke
- Mike - tinkerer and techno... techno... launderer?
- Mikolai - gene hacker - NY
- Walka(?) - likes kiteboard(?)
- Will - Notetaker
- Owen - Creative
- Zessina - Psychology
- Evan - style and programming
- Allan - Serial Killer and Mycologist
- Lee - Video Game Designer
- Kelly - treasurer and neuroscience winnah
- A brief primer on consensus process: We agree and so should you! Only paid-up members can block consensus.
- Maker Faire!
- 2000 Stickers handed out
- Many more people coming to space
- 3100 (yes, three thousand one hundred) people trained how to solder
- Noisebridge In Depth This Thursday (6/2/2011)!
- Topic is "Strange signals that our bodies give out" and is very interesting
- Zedd is moving and needs more publicity.
- $15131.18 total balance
- Paid rent for June
- Maker Fair Money has come in
- Two months operating expenses on hand, we ideally want three
- Meredith had TV company in and they made a donation? Unconfirmed.
- Q: Is Noisebridge trademarked? A: It's not a registered trademark, but trademark law automatically gives legal ownership.
- Eric Steinburg - has two signatures, John + [Illegible] but is legit and up for membership
- Believes in beer, but is anti-lime in beer.
- Eric is an engineer and artist, does all the AV work for SF City Hall
- He is also producing a TV show [ break for Amanda providing bread pudding ]
- Q: How do you feel about consensus? A: I see it every day at work -- politics is a process of consensus.
- Q: How do you feel about blocking? A: Blocking is necessary some times.
- Eric goes outside for discussion
- Has donated chemicals to Noisebridge, been seen around the space, multiple contacts
- Consensus reached: Eric is now a member of Noisebridge.
- Eric Steinburg - has two signatures, John + [Illegible] but is legit and up for membership
What's Going On at Noisebridge
This is the active list of events from the main page:
Upcoming Events edit
- Noisebridge Monthly Cleanup, See link for further info Sunday, March 16, 12:00:
- GodWaffleNoisePancakes, Saturday, March 22, 12:00:
Recurring Events edit
Please refrain from deleting others' classes without first getting agreement.
You may do this by using a valid Discuss list email address, or else by going anonymous if you really must.
- 7:30 pm - 10:00 pm Circuit Hacking Mondays )- Learn to solder! And make cool things with electronics. Mitch, Rolf, Miloh, Cedric, and others will bring kits-for-purchase to make cool, hackable things for all skill levels that you can bring home after you make them! Many sessions even designed for absolute beginners! Bring your own projects to hack! Bring things to fix! All ages. All are welcome! See the Discuss list and the Announce list for weekly updates.
- 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm Algorithms Study Group - Algorithms I Study Group for autodidacts in Turing.
- 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm Collaborative Coding - All levels and languages welcome for open, friendly coding session. Bring tutorials, projects, or just yourself.
- 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm Front-end Web Development - Learn HTML/CSS/JS. We're covering the basics and then going in-depth on different topics every week. Recap of last week's material starts at 7:30 pm. Class updates posted on the WebDev list, Discuss list and the Announce list.
- Take Out the Trash Night -- Round One
- 3:00 pm - 7:00 pm Collaborative Coding - All levels and languages welcome for open, friendly coding session. Bring tutorials, projects, or just yourself. New event as of 2014-01-21
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm Advanced Python Slaying the web with Python 2.7 & 3.3. Instructed by Liz and Kellan in Turing.
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm Ruby and Rails class - Seminar and workshop for learning everything about Ruby, Rails, and web application development (Church classroom). See the Announce list for weekly updates.
- 7:00 pm Noisebridge Weekly Meeting - Introducing new people and events to the space, general discussion, and decision-making on key issues. This is your space, folks. Come on out here in person to express what you think about what's going on with it!
- 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm Locks Sport. Picking, re-pinning, etc. Try to bring your own picks. If not, we will try to make some here. We will go on as long as people want to stick around. Also come check out Sundays' 1:00 pm Lock Sport Collaboration event listed below.
- 6:00 pm Replicator Wednesday! New series started January 9th!
- 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm BACE Timebank (1st Wednesdays every odd month) - Help organize community mutual aid by trading in equal time credits. To find out more and join go to sfbace.org.
- 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm Feminist Book Club for Men - On the second Wednesday of every month, we try to educate ourselves about feminism and to ultimately prevent ourselves from becoming jerks.
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm PyClass - Intro to Python in Church Classroom.
- 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm Dream Team Neuro Hackery - EEG research & development project with general interest in sleep, dreaming, creative intelligence, and many loosely related topics such as: neurophysiology, signal processing, cognitive neuroscience, and (especially) hacking code and devices for data acquisition and analysis. Join us at the CollaborationStation (near the Hackatorium). Expect general discussion around 8 PM - usually moving along by 9 PM to focus on more technical aspects of current project.
- Trash Night -- Round Two - Take out the trash for Friday morning!
- 6:00 pm-8:00 pm Collaborative Coding - All levels and languages welcome for an open, friendly coding session. Bring tutorials, projects, or just yourself. Started on 2013-12-16, but new participants always welcome here!
- 6:30 pm Digital Archivists - Help build a book scanner for Noisebridge
- 7:00 pm Machine_Learning - Machine Learning Meetup (every 2 weeks)
- 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm 3D Thursday Weekly meetup (non-3rd-thursdays) at Noisebridge focusing on 3D Printers, CNC machines, FabLabs, and replicating machines of all kinds.
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm Letter Lovers - Learn & create calligraphy, lettering, fonts, handwriting, and all things letters. On hiatus until ??
- 8:00 pm Front-end Web Development Lab - Understand by doing! A recap of Monday's lecture in workshop form - and a good time for one-on-one help with the material. Lab updates posted on the Discuss list and the Announce list.
- 8:00 pm Five Minutes of Fame a.k.a. 5MoF - lightning 5min talks every 3rd Thursday of the month
- 1:00 pm - 7:30pm Tastebridge 2.0 @ Kitchen (1st & 3rd Fridays)
- 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm FUN Tutoring @ CollaborationStation
- 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm Modular and Analog Synth Workshop NEXT WORKSHOP TBA Learn the basics of analog synthesis on a modular synth with Douglas. we will meet in the church.
- 12:30 pm - 7:30 pm Dungeons and Dragons in Church, not currently looking for new players.
- 1:00 pm Occasional Lock Sport Collaboration: Come learn how to pick locks with the SF Bay Area chapter of TOOOL. Check the TOOOL SF announcement list for details. Also come check out Wednesdays' 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm Lock Sport event listed above.
- 2:00 pm BAHA - Bay Area Hacker's Association - security meeting (2nd Sundays only)
- 3:00 pm Go - Playing of the Go board game. On nice days we often take the boards to Dolores Park and play there.
- 4:00 pm Elements_of_Image_Making Bi-Weekly Analogue and DIY film making meetup/hangout/nerdout
- 6:00 pm Plan 9 class
- Second Saturdays are Noisebridge hackathon:
a casual monthly event dedicated to working on the space or relevant projects and building community. This is a great time to get feedback or help on any projects you have been considering that center around the space, culture, and infrastructure of Noisebridge. You can also help with existing projects and find out ways to get involved.
- Five Minutes of Fame
- Bay Area Hackers Association - (Second Sunday, 2PM)
- Maker Faire covered in announcements, nothing else immediately up...
- Eric added as new member.
- Small things have gone missing - laptop charger, phone, a laptop off member shelves
- What are thoughts on providing noisebridge lockers on member shelves?
- Mitch: stuff probably disappears at Noisebridge through chaos rather than malice
- Lots of people know how to pick locks at Noisebridge
- Mike: better labelling for member shelves? Still doesn't solve stuff "moving" such as Mike's expensive footstool
- Kelly + Will: is that if you have stuff you don't want to go missing, it's fine to buy a container and take measures to secure it. Just know that some people might take that as a challenge.
- No consensus reached, best handled do-ocratically.
- Some discussion on better labelling for member shelves, possibly adding a curtain.
- Laser Cutting Workshop!
- Teaching people how to laser cut! (did not get details of who / when / where)
- Z-Brush Sculpting Class!
- Lee: Interested, wants to see who else wants it
- Android "Thing"
- Course? Happening? Would like to happen? Unclear.
- BASE people haven't been seen for a while, need to send someone to meeting