Meeting Notes 2011 06 28
- 1 HOWTO moderate a meeting
- 2 Agenda
- 3 Sundays
- 4 Mondays
- 5 Super Tuesdays!
- 6 Wednesdays
- 7 Thursdays
- 8 Fridays
- 9 Saturdays
HOWTO moderate a meeting
Anyone can moderate the meeting, though it helps a great deal if you have been to meetings before.
- Say "Five minutes to meeting!". This will give you time to read these instructions.
- Get someone to grab the membership binder. It is kept near the shrine, which is currently on the south wall, between the electronics and sewing areas.
- Get someone to take notes. Point the shocked and bemused note-taker to the sub-instructions below these instructions.
- (Optional) Get someone to put this wiki page up on the projector.
- Skim read through the Agenda below that to get a feel for what a meeting will looks like.
- People may have added Discussion Items to this page, or they may raise them during the meeting. If they emerge during the meeting, suggest that they be discussed _in_ the Discussion Item section, rather than derail other sections of the meeting. Discussion for these can be open-ended, but you should aim to wrap up the meeting within an hour. It can be handy to explicitly summarise what people intend to do as a result of the discussion. There is no requirement on you, Noisebridge the organization, or anyone else to do anything as a result of a discussion item.
- If there are Consensus Items, ensure that they were raised in meeting last week (the membership needs a week's warning for consensus items). Your main job in consensus is to listen to what everyone is saying, make sure everyone gets a chance to say something, and then -- if the debate is beginning to go round in circles or settle -- propose a Position that everyone seems to agree on. If people disagree with the Position, they will wrangle some more, or someone else will propose a Position. If no-one disagrees with the Position, say "So do we consense on $POSITION?". If no one objects, ask the note-taker to record the Position. If things are getting nowhere and we're all getting bored and antsy, identify the people objecting, and ask them to discuss the problem with the proposers of Consensus Item outside the meeting, and return next week with a compromise solution.
- Shout "Meeting starts now!" now, and start reading (out loud) through the Agenda!
- When you are done, consult with the note-taker, and make sure they know what they have to do to finish their job -- especially updating the wiki, and mailing nb-discuss, and the treasurer with new membership details.
- Put back the membership binder by the Shrine.
- Bathe in the glow of the respect of your fellow Noisebridgers.
HOWTO note-take a meeting
- Your moderator should give you five minutes to read these instructions. If they don't, say "Woah there cowboy, I need to know what I'm doing. Five minutes, por favor!". Use exactly those words.
- This page should have a URL like "https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2010_12_28", with today's year, month and date in it. If doesn't, copy [Meeting Notes Template] to a wiki page with that kind of URL. If you don't know how to copy wiki pages, say, "Can someone help me with the Noisebridge Wiki?", and get them to create a page with that kind of URL, and then show you how to copy this page to it and edit it.
- Edit this page. Add notes under each category -- you can delete any placeholder explanatory text as you go.
- Save the wiki page when you're done (no-one expects you to finish as the meeting is finished; it usually takes a half-hour or so after the meeting to get everything in order). Try to hyperlink stuff that should be linked. You can delete all this patronising instructional crap. Here's [Meeting_Notes_2010_12_28 an example] of a finally edited meeting.
- Create a page for next week's meeting, by copying over Meeting Notes Template to an URL with next week's date in it (see step 1). If anybody proposed Consensus Items for next week, write them in here, and add them to the Current Consensus Items.
- If there were any consensus items decided at your meeting, add them to Consensus Items History, and take them out of the Current Consensus Items.
- Go to the front page meetings notice and edit the page that so that the Prev and Next meetings now point to this meeting notes, and the new meeting notes you just created respectively'. (If that link is broken, it's a section half-way down the [front page]
- Important! Send a final copy of the notes to noisebridge-discuss, and email email@example.com the details of any new members (you can get all the details from the membership binder, which may now be hidden over by the shrine.)
- Chill out, have a cocktail with a friendly robot, continue to rock the world.
Note-taker: FIXME YOUR NAME HERE
Moderator: FIXME THEIR NAME HERE
Introduction and Names
- What Noisebridge is about: "Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."
- Round of introductions: What's your name, what do you do, and if you are new, how did you hear about Noisebridge? Start with the moderator and go left.
- A brief primer on consensus process: We agree and so should you! Only paid-up members can block consensus.
Funds in bank:
- Read off any names from the binder for the past month.
- Anyone up for join this week should introduce themselves then leave the area in search of gifts (traditionally beer and a lime) for the rest of the group. The rest of the meeting should consense on whether they may join.
What's Going On at Noisebridge
One short sentence about each of the following:
This is the active list of events from the main page:
E - Every week.
1st - Certain weeks, e.g. 1st week only.
-2nd - Except certain weeks, or other schedule exceptions.
- E 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm Blender 3D Animation and Design class (RSVP on Meetup)
- E 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm Noisebridge is open!
(We need someone to commit to opening/closing on Monday!)
- E 6:30 pm Circuit Hacking Monday -- learn electronics, and how to solder
- TRASH NIGHT - Please take out the trash bins!
- E 7:00 pm Noisebridge Weekly Meeting - Introducing new people and events to the space, general discussion, and decision-making on key issues. This is your space, folks. Come on out here in person to express what you think about what's going on with it! You can also join online via Jitsi.
- (Looking for a Wednesday host!)
- E 4:30 pm - 8:30 pm Space is open!
- E 6:00 pm NeurotechX SF hacknights, check on NeuroTechSF meetup, https://www.meetup.com/NeuroTechSF/
- 3rdE 8:00 pm to 9:00pm Five Minutes of Fame a.k.a. 5MoF - Ten 5min talks in an hour, on any topic on the 3rd Thursday of the month.
- E 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm Open Open for FreeCodeCamp with Paul_H as host
- * E 6:00 pm - 11:00 pm: Open We are open Friday evenings!
- E 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm Noisebridge is open! Come hack and we may stay open later
- August 14, 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm Art opening party for sailorhg's beautiful circuit hacking mural! There will be cookies shaped like electronic components! Mural is upstairs; eating and drinking on first floor outdoors only.
- August 21, 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm HackComedy! Comedy night run by Victor! Donations welcome! Details to come.
- Second Saturdays are Noisebridge hackathon:
a casual monthly event dedicated to working on the space or relevant projects and building community. This is a great time to get feedback or help on any projects you have been considering that center around the space, culture, and infrastructure of Noisebridge. You can also help with existing projects and find out ways to get involved.
- Five Minutes of Fame
- Bay Area Hackers Association - (Second Sunday, 2PM)
(Anyone doing interesting projects is welcome to chip in here.)
(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)
End of Meeting
- PGP Key Signing could happen now, check the list to see who wants in on the action.
- Put back the membership binder by the Shrine.
- Save the meeting notes to the wiki.
- Send a copy of the meeting notes to the discussion list.
- Copy the Meeting Notes Template for next week's agenda and update the main wiki page's link to it.
- Enjoy a cocktail with your fellow hacker or robot.