Meeting Notes 2011 07 12
HOWTO run a meeting.
Pick a moderator, and a note-taker. The note-taker should:
- write notes in this page, put them back up online when they're done,
- edit the frontpage so that it points to this weeks and next week's meeting notes in the meeting bit,
- edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is decided to be up for consensus next week (stuff raised for consensus this week should be publicised for a final decision next week)
- edit the Consensus Items History if anything was consensed or failed to consense this week.
- tell email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org if there are new members.
- make sure everyone gets a chance to speak
- speak minimally themselves
- keep the meeting moving! you're in charge of summarising the consensus, and/or suggesting things that need to be done!
- get the membership binders and ensure they are returned to the shrine
Note-taker: Danny Yo Brien
Introduction and Names
- What Noisebridge is about: "Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."
- Round of introductions: What's your name, what do you do, and if you are new, how did you hear about Noisebridge? Start with the moderator and go left.
Al -- python HE WROTE A BOOK Rachel -- do different things Liz -- also do different things I'm small press publisher Danny - I'm writing down what I just wrote Michael - "" Aestetix - I steal stuff and sleep here Cynthia -- retired physicial and kitchen Alex - games Ramone - startup Bill - not the droids Mike -- working on the timebank Oliver - programmer, maker Elijah - programmer, game developer from Atlanta, looking for stuff Bre -- still learning! Evan -- working on timebank Geoff - I hack python, django Jesse -- automation, CNT Dan -- sysadmin Mitch - turn off tvs, and teach people to make things Mike -- technomad, know physical stuff, not a coder Alex -- runs internet Leif -- internet utopian Espin - learning about woodwork Francisco -- food! Ross -- learner Laura -- creator of the daleks Krutcher -- you have been educated stupid and are too dumb to know it Jason -- functional programming Al -- I'm the loop
- A brief primer on consensus process: We agree and so should you! Only paid-up members can block consensus.
Cool new projects? Something you'd like people to know? Say now, but keep it short!
New or Stale Events
Is there anything new happening at the space?
(Wednesday Tastebridge cooking class!)
PyPy hackothon, change in PyClass times.
Is there anything that has stopped happening at the space?
Funds in bank:
- Read off any names from the binder for the past month. Write a check on every open application.
- Anyone up for joining this week (ie have four checks by their name + have two sponsors) should introduce themselves then leave the area in search of gifts (traditionally beer and a lime) for the rest of the group. The rest of the meeting should consense on whether they may join.
(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)
Up this week:
Noisebridge should sponsor an official project to provide Tor nodes and accept donations, such sponsorship to include a Wells Fargo account paypal account and email address established under the Noisebridge domain.
Update from Danny on Thurs meeting with Jorgen and Warren from Free School.
Discussing the problems of "radical inclusion", including theft and use of the space as somewhere to hang out/sleep by people who aren't part of our community (yet?).
Some proposed fixes:
- limiting access at door?
- new consensus rule that Noisebridge's hours are 10AM-10PM, and only members and their guests are allowed outside those hours?
Suggested structure of discussion (from Danny
- list people's ideas of problems and benefits of current state
- is inclusivity really the problem?
- definition of how inclusive noisebridge should/can be
- proposed solutions to fix problems, preserve benefits
Discussion points (Al's suggestions)
- What social behaviors are appropriate for NB? (hanging out, parties (planned or unplanned), meals, personal storage, sleeping, grooming, drinking)
End of Meeting
- PGP Key Signing could happen now, check the list to see who wants in on the action.
- Put back the membership binder by the Shrine.
- Save the meeting notes to the wiki.
- Send a copy of the meeting notes to the discussion list.
- Copy the Meeting Notes Template for next week's agenda and update the main wiki page's link to it.
- Enjoy a cocktail with your fellow hacker or robot.