Meeting Notes 2013 04 09
- Consensus decision on HTML front page has been tabled to next week.
- Finances are going well! Let's keep it going so that we have 3 full months of funds in the bank.
- Talking about banks, should we switch to SF Fire Credit Union?
Short announcements and events
- Kevin: Has questionnaires for his project studying Noisebridge! They are anonymous and 1 page long and about Noisebridge as a space. Results of the study will be shared openly on the Noisebridge Wiki
- Danny: Will hold "Noisebridge 101" classes, mainly on Mondays at 6:00pm for 1 hour, starting soon! Stop by to learn more about Noisebridge and its history and culture and operating style and tools / resources.
- Richard Bottoms (Week 1): no sponsors
- Joseph Edward Martin (Week 2) – No sponsors
- Sai (Week 3) - 1 sponsor (Danny)
- Nick Shapiro (Week 2) - 1 sponsor (Carl); last week I think Miloh also offered to sponsor, but no signature on form
- Danny wrote a Python script to go through Mint.com and parse all of our transactions into a spreadsheet and sum total
- (obvious violation of Mint.com's TOS and he is a naughty criminal according to CFAA)
- Funds in bank: $20,112.92, hoorah!
- We need to pay May rent, but April rent has been paid!
- (NOT DISCUSSED: WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE IRS?!?!?)
- Our 3 month operating budget is $18K, so let's still aim to get our reserve fund up to that
- Recurring monthly donations are now at a sustainable level
- We did not discuss Noisetor finances.
- Tom: "We add a new plain HTML front page to the Noisebridge domain, to allow for a design more amenable to newcomers. The system for managing this content should have the property that a small number can push changes live, while many folks can produce designs and stage/suggest them."
- Decision to discuss & postpone consensus decision because Tom is not present and, in contrast to last week, most people present are pro-MediaWiki
- Danny has friends over at MediaWiki, so if there are things we need or don't like we should get in touch
- Ben has friends who may be able to rewrite MediaWiki in not-PHP
- Many present agree that their favorite language is not-PHP
- Images for MediaWiki should be SMALLER! (Ken is dumb) since we pay to host large files!
- Ben: Dr. Jesus needs to stop pinging Noisebridge; claims 80% (90%?) of all visits to Noisebridge.net are from Dr. Jesus pinging us
- Proposed alternatives for image hosting:
- Ken will make a wiki page to coordinate the Wiki redesign
- Leif is writing one new consensus proposal regarding creating a new account at SFFireCU.
Hell's Cargo (i.e., Wells Fargo)
- Kevin: Currently Noisebridge's bank account is Hell's Cargo, which is an evil bank. Let's switch to something less evil, like a local credit union. Maybe San Francisco Fire Credit Union? They have an education business account(?) and pay 2.5% interest and invest locally.
- Why do we have Hell's Cargo…? Apparently last time Noisebridge proposed a switch away we didn't because it's just a bit of a pain, and a few people had direct deposits set up into our account.
- Danny: People have pledged to donate so long as we switch from PayPal
- Ben: SFFireCU has terrible IT but great customer service, while most banks have decent IT but terrible customer service...so while their tech is bad, at least they will fix it?
- Additional credit union suggestions: Self-Pay (Danny), Redwood Credit Union (Dan #2)
- General consensus seems to be in favor of at least creating a new account with SFFireCU and keeping the Hell's Cargo account until it is obsolete.
- Someone (Danny? Leif?) will write a consensus proposal for next week's meeting
- Leif: Has been here for quite a while; currently interested in tahoe-lafs; started tahoe grid with tor hidden services
- Angel: New to Noisebridge; does graphic design, video; wants to get more into coding
- J.C.: Does hacking in general; working on creating more hackerspace in the North Bay
- Joe Black: Does security, Unix, web development; first heard of Noisebridge via Mitch; has been here a couple months
- Nick Shapiro: Makes games; is hiring!
- Kyle: Architecture student studying Noisebridge as a community and as a space; has been here for a few months
- Dan: Does any programming, web services, ...
- Dan #2: Has been coming for few months; first heard of Noisebridge via a radio interview with Mitch a few years ago; has been programming so long that he is temporarily bored with it, but still gets his hands dirty with code
- Dana: Likes to work on LED stuff; is today working on wearable electronics
- Kevin: Has been coming for a couple months as well; does a bunch of things on the computer; works in the wood shop every once in a while; also works in kitchen; is doing well
- Danny: Has been coming to Noisebridge for 3-4 years; thinks a lot and tries to write about technological culture
- Ken: Is taking notes
- Joe: Third time here; has known about Noisebridge an embarrassingly long time but lived in Mountain View so he went to Hacker Dojo instead; tricked into being a computer guy; writes code, looking to build a stove
- Rupert: Visting from Montreal (greetings from FooLab!); first time at Noisebridge but has known about Noisebridge for a long time (we're pretty famous :p); glad to be here and see what's going on; does hardware and software and woodshop
- Luke: Also visiting from Montreal; Noisebridge is impressive, enjoys it very much; into computer vision and machine learning
- Lassl: Visiting from Norway! Here for 3 days; came to Noisebridge today because he was looking for fruit but saw the Noisebridge banner and went in; electrical engineer but got bored of organized 90 degree lines, so he started doing graphic design and font and web development