Difference between revisions of "Meeting Notes 2013 06 11"

From Noisebridge
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Secretaribot says its time for the 269th Noisebridge notes)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
You should read the [[meeting instructions]] forthwith!<br>
+
I belive so .
Don't forget to '''post the meeting notes to the wiki''' and e-mail the discussion list with a short summary.
+
Our Hallowed 266th Convening of Noisebridge Partcipants and Country
  
These are the notes from the [https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Meeting_Notes The 269th Meeting of Noisebridge]. Note-taker: FIXME YOUR NAME HERE; Moderator: FIXME THEIR NAME HERE.
+
About Noisbeedge:
* '''One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.'''
+
Radically inclusive "Accepts officers" (What does this mean? ). We consense on decisions in order ot determine where we go next. We have all sort of entirely symbolic and completely powerless roles.   
   
 
= Short announcements and events =
 
* Bullet point list of announcements and events
 
  
= [[ Membership Binder ]] =
+
To my disappointment, no "unusual" techniques will be used in moderating.
* The name of the applicant, the week of their application, and their sponsors.
 
  
= Financial Report =
+
Round of introductions:
* Funds in bank:
 
* Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of http://noisetor.net/finances/#summary):
 
  
= Consensus items =
+
crhis, not a hacker but doesn't know hwhat a hacker is. Zen approach to hacking here.
 +
JC: Hardhat hacker. Not a wrapper.
 +
Martin, everbody. Explains badass TRS-80
 +
Matt is also wearing a hardhat. Thats him in a nuthsell.
 +
Mike - Very seriously thinking about leaving and resigning. Starting his own space. Unfortunatley doesn't find the kind of questions useful. Doesn't answer his quesitons. A difference of style he says. Unfortunately doesn't see a resolution.
 +
Shawnda -- Here because of our friend and colleague Praveen.
 +
Monad sees what Mike's saying, finds there is no consensus. Also doesn't know what a hacker is, fooling around.
 +
Drew is here and was a hacker before it was cool.
 +
Jared is morderating and is a junior architect.
 +
Carl is here (he is pretty elite).
 +
Doug, slave to bathroom.
 +
Rhodie eating gum.
 +
Dan is recursive cannot be tail call optimized.
 +
Kevin has been coming alot and is also good.
 +
Joy is interested in taking care of the space.
 +
Daniel is new and is intereted in figuring out what he can do to help, would like to learn to be a hacker.
 +
James, new member, likes noisebridge.
 +
Mischief "maker", likes go and plan9.
 +
Carlos - Writes to the core of perl, hates C++
 +
Zephyr - Noisbridge lover and notetaker.
 +
Johnny Radio
  
== [[ Consensus Items History | Proposals from last week ]] ==
+
leif - Does the NSA have anything to hide?
''(Add any items which pass or are blocked to the [[Consensus Items History]] page.)''
 
  
== [[ Current Consensus Items | Proposals for next week ]] ==
+
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
''(Add any new items for consensus to the [[Current Consensus Items]] page.)''
 
  
= Discussion Notes =
+
New Events:
  
 +
Suggestion from joy -- Helping fundraising by donating to the community through STORE (Community thtrift, takes in second hand goods). (Appears to be website for easily taking donations by registering with Community Thrift store, we could generate additional funds by having people choose to donate money to Noisebridge through the sale of second hand items.).
  
= Attendance =
+
JC suggests BACH (Bay Area consortium of Hackerspaces_ is meeting here, talking about spreading more hackerspaces in the Bay area.
* List of names and short summary. For bonus points, link wiki user pages.
 
  
[[Category:Meeting Notes]]
+
Mischief is working on building a 68k computer. Is not running VMS???? (Running homebrew)
Now that the meeting is over, don't forget to '''post the meeting notes to the wiki''' and e-mail the discussion list with a short summary.
+
 
 +
Noisebridge rebase, reboot IEEE working group has had it's first meeting today, and will recur at Noisebridge every tuesday at 6:00 PM. Would enjoy people coming to it and bringint therir ideas. We should have a mailing list and a wiki, working under a consensus based process and will respond to the meeting (tis group) with a document outline the plans and restrictions of moving  rebuilding noisebridge. We will hear more.
 +
 
 +
James has a differnet understanding of the topic, "We are braingstorming and laying out a rebased concept of remaking noisebridge". Encourages people to show up at the 6:00 PM meeting (On Tuesdays) with an end goal of submitting a proposal to the Noisebridge meeting. "If we can't agree amongst ourselves, it doesn't make sense to seek consensus".
 +
 
 +
Also worth noting that the topic of next meetings reboot is "Culture", as well as people's ideas.
 +
 
 +
NEW MEMBERS
 +
--------------------------------------------------
 +
Nike D'anda - Not present
 +
Jeff Arnold -- 4th week, not hear, here last week and according to lief says they will become members if they hang out.
 +
Vincnet Smith -- 4 checkmarks, not here
 +
Richard Bottoms - 4 checkmarks, not here
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
Financial Report
 +
--------------------------------------------------
 +
 
 +
WE'RE NOT BROKE.
 +
 
 +
Consensus items
 +
--------------------------------------------------
 +
 
 +
Mitch suggest swe purchase 300 small and large stickers from stickergiants at the cost of 775.00$ as well as 133 T-Shirts for 989.00 (People believe this has been consensed on, crowd demands rematch.)
 +
 
 +
Discussion on his proposal:
 +
 
 +
Kevin wants "People's Republic Of Noisebridge" TShirts.
 +
 
 +
Mitch hates tshirt freedom on the mailing list (Allegations of Bikeshedding mentioned).
 +
 
 +
Oxyclean benefits for black t-shirts 
 +
 
 +
Johnny radio is curious about how many dollars worth of tshirts have been stolen. Leif suggest this to be on the magnitude of the NSLs served to Google in 2012.
 +
 
 +
Tshirt theft sucks but we have consensed.
 +
 
 +
It shall be done for a total cost of 1764.00
 +
----
 +
 
 +
Other Proposals for next weeks meeting
 +
 
 +
From Johnny we have a proposal for a monthly or yearly budget (to be distributed monthly) to purchase electronics components.
 +
 
 +
Carlos asks what sort of electronics components.
 +
 
 +
Johnny radio suggests electronic base components (registers, capacitors and so on)
 +
 
 +
Carlos asks "Don't we have too many"
 +
 
 +
The technical details of lacking components surface.
 +
 
 +
Discussion of incomplete organization effort ensues. Community agrees that it is tough to find components.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
Carlos suggests that for money to be allocated here, we must first perform a survey of our existing supplies.
 +
 
 +
Monad suggestions "With all that stuff, won't it end up being used for particular purposes rather than general use?"
 +
 
 +
"There are so many sizes and kinds of components that it makes a comprehensive stock up difficult"
 +
 
 +
Johnny responds "What componets somebody needs this month will vary from what we need next month"
 +
 
 +
He reponds to Carlos's statement with the notion that we continue to update our understanding of our existing supplies so that we are never e-broke. Concisely.We won't have a list of what we need, it will change
 +
 
 +
JC says "If we're running out of stuff every week, maybe we should get them from radio shack. Concerning consumables we should stock solder and other related basic items." The structure at this point is not known.
 +
 
 +
Rhodies: Agrees in principle and agrees with the difficulty of identifying ongoing electronics component usage patterns, we should keep anongoing ledger. Wants to minimize waiting time for components for a given user. Agrees with the idea that we should stock our basic materials such as Solder, belives it to be within our non-broke budget.
 +
 
 +
Carlos goes into a story of how Noisebridge came to be the way it is. People are going to ask for resources, but they are hard to find. Still contends that we should get an idea of what we have so we can make better assessments. Knows the story of the long and protracted blocks on buying things, explains that stuff still gets donated (Solder Stations and Irons for example). M
 +
 
 +
Monad suggests that we should consider our alternative building communities. Disorganization is a problem.
 +
 
 +
James says "It would be nice to track things we are out of. If we are or not, it would still be good to have a simple way, maybe a sheet by the door with things like 'I couldn't find a soldering iron'"
 +
 
 +
JC chimes in "We have a whiteboard"
 +
 
 +
James retords "We have these things, we need to find out our specific persons problems"
 +
 
 +
Kevins suggests having a list that people write on when the donate to noisebridge by taking noisebridge logs.
 +
 
 +
Johnny says he put a list on the wall, found some peoples things. Requiring documentation is tough (this is true), borders on unreasonable. Believes that if all of the people are in agreement that if we agree to use these electronics then if we are short on 100mf capacitors we should get some more, we are not going to require you to document everything here to save 5$.
 +
 
 +
Mischief: "There is another component list on Google drive that documents a small collection of parts as well as links to manuals, maybe expanding that would be the best. Don't know if this is on the wiki"
 +
 
 +
Carlos: "Just to add, that's why the Rebase time exists (To discuss these potentially huge items), This has happened" (Come back Rayce!)  "A lot of people are doing electronics here, even the people of CHM could help us here".
 +
 
 +
James will stick a thing on the door "Will you find everything you needed".
 +
 
 +
 
 +
JC: "Related topic, wa slooking around the wiki, found old pool electronics order, found it was out of date. Subtle request to bring those up to date, mybae johnny could revive these as a means to express interest in the space"
 +
 
 +
Rhodie: Would like to state general support for wiki. Sisyphus thought this too. Rhodie would like to stress the difficulty of finding a particular component, in addition to searching for the data sheet, we have to correlate the component MFID with the chip IC. It could take 7 inutes to chracterize a particular component. As much effort as we can should be done to inventory but it shouldn't supercede rationality"
 +
 
 +
Johnny has spent many hours cataloguing what we have, admits it is a huge effort, Thinks that there are ongoing day to day activities doing electronics that are held up by the lack of these components. Would like this to be done independently of a complete revampl.
 +
 
 +
Monad comments that the spac, with all the organization that people do, the problem is the chaos of the space. Things are not already nice so that are not accessible. Can't find tools (This is indeed a real problem), it's like coming off the street. You have to conduct strip mining in order to find anything.
 +
 
 +
Ted Kaczynski: Verbal agreement not to block this commendable effort, hopes the leftist socialization and their sympathizer's machinations don't undermine this plan for e-justice. People believe that we should use our existing components.
 +
 
 +
Rhodie: We shoudl try to revive the wiki pages. People unfamilar with the space are going to be most comfortable being introduced to the space through the wiki.
 +
 
 +
Low monthly expenditure, this doesn't need consensus.  We should just do this says crowd.
 +
 
 +
Leif suggests that having a 10-20$/mn regular expenditure is a good idea.
 +
 
 +
:%s/Leif/Lief/g (what happened here??)
 +
 
 +
 
 +
Johnny asks "If we have 5 bucks left, we should establish a first come first serve"
 +
 
 +
Monad believes this provokes an access issue.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
Martin says that we s"it could be decided by just a piece of paper with requests, this piece of paper could be read aloutd at a meeting for people to decide in a collective fashion". This is a recipe for complete disaster says your notetaker.
 +
 
 +
Monad discusses the inaccesability of certain shop parts.
 +
 
 +
The problem with organization is the chaotic capitalist roaders (Notetaker interjection)
 +
 
 +
Johnny wants very much to have better organization. If the condition of 10-20$/mn is not tough for noisebridge, we need a system.
 +
 
 +
JC would like to table this, maybe we should just take a box. Immediate, consensusless project could be done today.
 +
 
 +
Johnny won't put it up for consensus. Martin syas this has been discussed before, alot. Maybe we can remedy these things. There ahve been many solutions proposed such as tethering, but this has been found to be restricted. Doesn't know where he's going with this. IT ahs been talked about alot. The RFID reader could be tags on things. (Instead of just people!) .  Monad says if we need to hvae a switch he doesn't even know where to look. Points out that ancient arcane knowledge is required to find anything at noisebridge. THis is problematic.
 +
 
 +
We will continue to plan an alternative solution outside the meeting, apologizes for the time consuming discussion (even though he is not at fault. good guy noiesbridge member meme)
 +
 
 +
JC has a carryover for reboot rebase, short version ahs been discussed earlier. however...
 +
 
 +
 
 +
(120 WPM, . no TIOCTIOU bot on IRC here!!!! 11337133713371337337)
 +
 
 +
Johnny proposes an issue for discussion here.
 +
 
 +
Would like to request on background on why he was asked to come back.
 +
 
 +
Dan just hacked a fucking awesome c64 demo.
 +
 
 +
Back to Dan. Dan would like to participate, but he promises to be a more productiove member of noisebridge.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
Leif -- as one of the people who told him not to spend every day here, I back this.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
Ladies and Gentlemen of Noisebridge this is over. hg commit!!!

Revision as of 04:54, 12 June 2013

I belive so . Our Hallowed 266th Convening of Noisebridge Partcipants and Country

About Noisbeedge: Radically inclusive "Accepts officers" (What does this mean? ). We consense on decisions in order ot determine where we go next. We have all sort of entirely symbolic and completely powerless roles.

To my disappointment, no "unusual" techniques will be used in moderating.

Round of introductions:

crhis, not a hacker but doesn't know hwhat a hacker is. Zen approach to hacking here. JC: Hardhat hacker. Not a wrapper. Martin, everbody. Explains badass TRS-80 Matt is also wearing a hardhat. Thats him in a nuthsell. Mike - Very seriously thinking about leaving and resigning. Starting his own space. Unfortunatley doesn't find the kind of questions useful. Doesn't answer his quesitons. A difference of style he says. Unfortunately doesn't see a resolution. Shawnda -- Here because of our friend and colleague Praveen. Monad sees what Mike's saying, finds there is no consensus. Also doesn't know what a hacker is, fooling around. Drew is here and was a hacker before it was cool. Jared is morderating and is a junior architect. Carl is here (he is pretty elite). Doug, slave to bathroom. Rhodie eating gum. Dan is recursive cannot be tail call optimized. Kevin has been coming alot and is also good. Joy is interested in taking care of the space. Daniel is new and is intereted in figuring out what he can do to help, would like to learn to be a hacker. James, new member, likes noisebridge. Mischief "maker", likes go and plan9. Carlos - Writes to the core of perl, hates C++ Zephyr - Noisbridge lover and notetaker. Johnny Radio

leif - Does the NSA have anything to hide?


New Events:

Suggestion from joy -- Helping fundraising by donating to the community through STORE (Community thtrift, takes in second hand goods). (Appears to be website for easily taking donations by registering with Community Thrift store, we could generate additional funds by having people choose to donate money to Noisebridge through the sale of second hand items.).

JC suggests BACH (Bay Area consortium of Hackerspaces_ is meeting here, talking about spreading more hackerspaces in the Bay area.

Mischief is working on building a 68k computer. Is not running VMS???? (Running homebrew)

Noisebridge rebase, reboot IEEE working group has had it's first meeting today, and will recur at Noisebridge every tuesday at 6:00 PM. Would enjoy people coming to it and bringint therir ideas. We should have a mailing list and a wiki, working under a consensus based process and will respond to the meeting (tis group) with a document outline the plans and restrictions of moving rebuilding noisebridge. We will hear more.

James has a differnet understanding of the topic, "We are braingstorming and laying out a rebased concept of remaking noisebridge". Encourages people to show up at the 6:00 PM meeting (On Tuesdays) with an end goal of submitting a proposal to the Noisebridge meeting. "If we can't agree amongst ourselves, it doesn't make sense to seek consensus".

Also worth noting that the topic of next meetings reboot is "Culture", as well as people's ideas.

NEW MEMBERS


Nike D'anda - Not present Jeff Arnold -- 4th week, not hear, here last week and according to lief says they will become members if they hang out. Vincnet Smith -- 4 checkmarks, not here Richard Bottoms - 4 checkmarks, not here


Financial Report


WE'RE NOT BROKE.

Consensus items


Mitch suggest swe purchase 300 small and large stickers from stickergiants at the cost of 775.00$ as well as 133 T-Shirts for 989.00 (People believe this has been consensed on, crowd demands rematch.)

Discussion on his proposal:

Kevin wants "People's Republic Of Noisebridge" TShirts.

Mitch hates tshirt freedom on the mailing list (Allegations of Bikeshedding mentioned).

Oxyclean benefits for black t-shirts

Johnny radio is curious about how many dollars worth of tshirts have been stolen. Leif suggest this to be on the magnitude of the NSLs served to Google in 2012.

Tshirt theft sucks but we have consensed.

It shall be done for a total cost of 1764.00


Other Proposals for next weeks meeting

From Johnny we have a proposal for a monthly or yearly budget (to be distributed monthly) to purchase electronics components.

Carlos asks what sort of electronics components.

Johnny radio suggests electronic base components (registers, capacitors and so on)

Carlos asks "Don't we have too many"

The technical details of lacking components surface.

Discussion of incomplete organization effort ensues. Community agrees that it is tough to find components.


Carlos suggests that for money to be allocated here, we must first perform a survey of our existing supplies.

Monad suggestions "With all that stuff, won't it end up being used for particular purposes rather than general use?"

"There are so many sizes and kinds of components that it makes a comprehensive stock up difficult"

Johnny responds "What componets somebody needs this month will vary from what we need next month"

He reponds to Carlos's statement with the notion that we continue to update our understanding of our existing supplies so that we are never e-broke. Concisely.We won't have a list of what we need, it will change

JC says "If we're running out of stuff every week, maybe we should get them from radio shack. Concerning consumables we should stock solder and other related basic items." The structure at this point is not known.

Rhodies: Agrees in principle and agrees with the difficulty of identifying ongoing electronics component usage patterns, we should keep anongoing ledger. Wants to minimize waiting time for components for a given user. Agrees with the idea that we should stock our basic materials such as Solder, belives it to be within our non-broke budget.

Carlos goes into a story of how Noisebridge came to be the way it is. People are going to ask for resources, but they are hard to find. Still contends that we should get an idea of what we have so we can make better assessments. Knows the story of the long and protracted blocks on buying things, explains that stuff still gets donated (Solder Stations and Irons for example). M

Monad suggests that we should consider our alternative building communities. Disorganization is a problem.

James says "It would be nice to track things we are out of. If we are or not, it would still be good to have a simple way, maybe a sheet by the door with things like 'I couldn't find a soldering iron'"

JC chimes in "We have a whiteboard"

James retords "We have these things, we need to find out our specific persons problems"

Kevins suggests having a list that people write on when the donate to noisebridge by taking noisebridge logs.

Johnny says he put a list on the wall, found some peoples things. Requiring documentation is tough (this is true), borders on unreasonable. Believes that if all of the people are in agreement that if we agree to use these electronics then if we are short on 100mf capacitors we should get some more, we are not going to require you to document everything here to save 5$.

Mischief: "There is another component list on Google drive that documents a small collection of parts as well as links to manuals, maybe expanding that would be the best. Don't know if this is on the wiki"

Carlos: "Just to add, that's why the Rebase time exists (To discuss these potentially huge items), This has happened" (Come back Rayce!) "A lot of people are doing electronics here, even the people of CHM could help us here".

James will stick a thing on the door "Will you find everything you needed".


JC: "Related topic, wa slooking around the wiki, found old pool electronics order, found it was out of date. Subtle request to bring those up to date, mybae johnny could revive these as a means to express interest in the space"

Rhodie: Would like to state general support for wiki. Sisyphus thought this too. Rhodie would like to stress the difficulty of finding a particular component, in addition to searching for the data sheet, we have to correlate the component MFID with the chip IC. It could take 7 inutes to chracterize a particular component. As much effort as we can should be done to inventory but it shouldn't supercede rationality"

Johnny has spent many hours cataloguing what we have, admits it is a huge effort, Thinks that there are ongoing day to day activities doing electronics that are held up by the lack of these components. Would like this to be done independently of a complete revampl.

Monad comments that the spac, with all the organization that people do, the problem is the chaos of the space. Things are not already nice so that are not accessible. Can't find tools (This is indeed a real problem), it's like coming off the street. You have to conduct strip mining in order to find anything.

Ted Kaczynski: Verbal agreement not to block this commendable effort, hopes the leftist socialization and their sympathizer's machinations don't undermine this plan for e-justice. People believe that we should use our existing components.

Rhodie: We shoudl try to revive the wiki pages. People unfamilar with the space are going to be most comfortable being introduced to the space through the wiki.

Low monthly expenditure, this doesn't need consensus. We should just do this says crowd.

Leif suggests that having a 10-20$/mn regular expenditure is a good idea.

%s/Leif/Lief/g (what happened here??)


Johnny asks "If we have 5 bucks left, we should establish a first come first serve"

Monad believes this provokes an access issue.


Martin says that we s"it could be decided by just a piece of paper with requests, this piece of paper could be read aloutd at a meeting for people to decide in a collective fashion". This is a recipe for complete disaster says your notetaker.

Monad discusses the inaccesability of certain shop parts.

The problem with organization is the chaotic capitalist roaders (Notetaker interjection)

Johnny wants very much to have better organization. If the condition of 10-20$/mn is not tough for noisebridge, we need a system.

JC would like to table this, maybe we should just take a box. Immediate, consensusless project could be done today.

Johnny won't put it up for consensus. Martin syas this has been discussed before, alot. Maybe we can remedy these things. There ahve been many solutions proposed such as tethering, but this has been found to be restricted. Doesn't know where he's going with this. IT ahs been talked about alot. The RFID reader could be tags on things. (Instead of just people!) . Monad says if we need to hvae a switch he doesn't even know where to look. Points out that ancient arcane knowledge is required to find anything at noisebridge. THis is problematic.

We will continue to plan an alternative solution outside the meeting, apologizes for the time consuming discussion (even though he is not at fault. good guy noiesbridge member meme)

JC has a carryover for reboot rebase, short version ahs been discussed earlier. however...


(120 WPM, . no TIOCTIOU bot on IRC here!!!! 11337133713371337337)

Johnny proposes an issue for discussion here.

Would like to request on background on why he was asked to come back.

Dan just hacked a fucking awesome c64 demo.

Back to Dan. Dan would like to participate, but he promises to be a more productiove member of noisebridge.


Leif -- as one of the people who told him not to spend every day here, I back this.


Ladies and Gentlemen of Noisebridge this is over. hg commit!!!