Meeting Notes 2013 06 25
You should read the meeting instructions forthwith!
Don't forget to post the meeting notes to the wiki and e-mail the discussion list with a short summary.
These are the notes from the The 271st Meeting of Noisebridge. Note-taker: Naomi; Moderator: JC.
- One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.
Short announcements and events
- jarred: in Rebase mtg, we decided to remove a lot of debris. Call for help, awareness that we're going to be
- leif: michael shouldn't be at the meeting w/o giving advance notice. mike believes he did, but nobody else seems to have gotten the email.
- mike's lawyer (ACLU?) comes in aggressively, shouting "amend your ways" and threatening to sue NB and Leif for "defamation of character" unless we "change our system". Leif wants the record to show that he told them to "get the fuck out."
- dana: on Thu 7 o'clock we're doing a workshop on ROASTING COFFEE.
- JC on behalf of Merlin: bike light workshop this Sunday.
- Martin: Noise Jam was this past weekend and it was awesome.
- RED SHIRTS NEEDED at Noisebridge for Tuesday and Saturday nights.
- Wade Ainsbury - has also been asked to leave. He HAD one sponsor, presently has none.
- Funds in bank: $35,993.76
- Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of http://noisetor.net/finances/#summary): $12K
- We're AHEAD of our 3-month buffer, w00t
- Josh wonders if we would consider amending the membership process w.r.t. people who've been asked to leave the space.
- Discussion quickly reaches conclusion that this policy would be redundant since we already consense on membership.
- Jake wrote to list wanting door access discussed.
- Casey and Josh say they will advocate for Jake.
- However no real discussion emerges.
- Leif's just going ahead and putting a time constraint on use of door codes, doorbell. Let's keep experimenting.
- We'll probably talk about the door codes thing some more.
Things to be Repaired
- RetinaEngrave USB Laser Engraving Processor This is a USB Microcontroller - you have to order it from the manufacturer. It was reported to me that this needs to be replaced. It looks like it will cost $449 at the least. Reported to me that this was what needed to be replaced on the lasercutter
- Casey fixed it during the meeting, yay!
- Someone told me on the floor that the vinyl cutter is broken and a blade needs to be replaced.
'"Intro question: how did you hear about / end up at Noisebridge?"'
- leif - member on hiatus, work on privacy/security
- josh - 68k emulation, wrote Noisegate, heard about NB
- tayopa - Maker Faire - Rolf said it was "very important" that she make a call on the payphone.
- guillaume - curious about orgs with alternative structures
- dana - heard about NB from NYC Resistor at Maker Faire. E-textiles and LEDs!
- justin - TDCS, 3d-printing, web dev
- dan - been at NB for 6-7 months. programmer, interested in things and helping.
- v - became aware of NB through Bradley Manning demos in 2010. tries to keep the place tidy.
- douglas - we used to borrow your internet over at Station 40. started hanging out here a few weeks ago.
- michael - bike trailer that converts into a suitcase.
- rev mik - designing furniture for alien species. heard about NB from his web admin.
- scott - heard about NB years ago when Mitch was on KQED years ago. came for the soldering course, stayed for the woodshop.
- aaron - first time here. Friend told him about it.
- jin - activist. City College sustainable development. working on Bradley Manning posters.
- dru - mobiles, especially Android. heard about it from Homes Not Jails.
- Ronney - costumes, learning to code..
- ?? - alchemist? wood and metal, fire and energy
- Alex - video game programming class on Mondays. heard about it from Jake Appelbaum years ago.
- Low - heard about NB from Cafe Mediterraneum, something about festivals. Been here about 7 days.
- Yan - astrophysics, HTTPS Everywhere! CAme b/c someone opened the door so she went in.
- Carl - learned about NB years ago, coffee shop word of mouth. Interested in identity and encryption.
- zephyr - TRS-80 / Chasm. "Once you get beyond BASIC it's awesome." heard about NB on IRC.
- Martin - electronic music and circuits. heard about NB from Jake (spaz)
- mct - is looking for a 20-pin header at the moment.
- adrian - open source wireless, Linux drivers. "hackerspaces are incestuous."
- jarred - heard about NB from someone at architecture school.
- naomi - came to NB for a party hosted by Asheesh Laroia. Doing a lot of things.
- carlos - Commodore 64, Go.
- carlo - Ireland/SF nomad. activist. interested in web pages, learning to program.
- mischief - I like to write Go. uncle brought him here for 5MoF a few years ago.
- JC - heard of it from a friend, traveled around visiting other hackerspaces.
- henry - heard about it from various hackers throughout the years. activist.
- ramon - linux, python, other things.
- casey - is fixing the laser cutter.
Ex-marine delivers monologue about how shit is fucked up and bullshit (paraphrased). Reminds us to avoid tearing each other apart in the midst of a civil war.