Editing Meeting Notes 2013 09 17

Jump to: navigation, search

Warning: You are not logged in. Your IP address will be publicly visible if you make any edits. If you log in or create an account, your edits will be attributed to your username, along with other benefits.

The edit can be undone. Please check the comparison below to verify that this is what you want to do, and then save the changes below to finish undoing the edit.
Latest revision Your text
Line 1: Line 1:
these are hideous; i'm so sorry
+
You should read the [[meeting instructions]] forthwith!<br>
 +
Don't forget to '''post the meeting notes to the wiki''' and e-mail the discussion list with a short summary.
  
 
These are the notes from the [https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Meeting_Notes The 283rd Meeting of Noisebridge]. Note-taker: Merlin; Moderator: Adam.
 
These are the notes from the [https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Meeting_Notes The 283rd Meeting of Noisebridge]. Note-taker: Merlin; Moderator: Adam.
* proposal to not renew lease (in 2 years' time) was blocked
+
* '''One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.'''
* we discussed it anyway
 
* proposal for next week (Norman): appoint Norman our official "Radio Officer Empowered to Liaise with the FCC"
 
* proposal for next week (Hannah): adopt an anti-harassment policy (as reproduced in the minutes)
 
* proposal for next week (Jake): modify open hours so that nights are open-access to Members and to guests of any sponsoring Member also present in the space
 
 
   
 
   
 
= Short announcements and events =
 
= Short announcements and events =
* Rayc: turning laser comp. into 3d code compiling station; dropping a lower-use comp. into its place.
+
* RAYC: turning laser comp. into 3d code compiling station; dropping a lower-use comp. into its place.
 
* Jarrod: NB TRASH DAY is happening this Thursday, probs. around 7am, leaving when Monad brings his trailer around. Bring stuff to general meeting area or coordinate w/ Jarrod
 
* Jarrod: NB TRASH DAY is happening this Thursday, probs. around 7am, leaving when Monad brings his trailer around. Bring stuff to general meeting area or coordinate w/ Jarrod
 
* yesac: Vinyl for cutter has succumbed to entropy. Collecting donations for more! Bitcoin accepted.
 
* yesac: Vinyl for cutter has succumbed to entropy. Collecting donations for more! Bitcoin accepted.
 
* JC: This Thursday is 5MOF! Here, 8pm. If you're not @ EFF for some thing that nobody plans to describe for us (EFF Pioneer Awards) (thanks yan)
 
* JC: This Thursday is 5MOF! Here, 8pm. If you're not @ EFF for some thing that nobody plans to describe for us (EFF Pioneer Awards) (thanks yan)
* Rayc on behalf of moderator: second weekly movie night this Friday around 8pm! Double feature, second one usually Hackers!
+
* RAYC on behalf of moderator: second weekly movie night this Friday around 8pm! Double feature, second one usually Hackers!
 
* Adam: Looking into idea of an offsite camp, not official Noisebridge, but guides for people who need close-by infrastructure so you don't feel compelled to use Noisebridge's
 
* Adam: Looking into idea of an offsite camp, not official Noisebridge, but guides for people who need close-by infrastructure so you don't feel compelled to use Noisebridge's
 
* Please don't burn pans. If you did, talk to the people who use the kitchen and learn how to use the cooktop.
 
* Please don't burn pans. If you did, talk to the people who use the kitchen and learn how to use the cooktop.
Line 24: Line 21:
  
 
= [[ Membership Binder ]] =
 
= [[ Membership Binder ]] =
* nope
+
* The name of the applicant, the week of their application, and their sponsors.
  
 
= Financial Report =
 
= Financial Report =
* Funds in bank: well dang i guess we done forgot this part too
+
* Funds in bank:
* Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of http://noisetor.net/finances/#summary): :/
+
* Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of http://noisetor.net/finances/#summary):
  
 
= Consensus items =
 
= Consensus items =
Line 76: Line 73:
 
* Accountability
 
* Accountability
  
Rayc:
+
RAYC:
 
* It's a community issue, an infrastructure problem.
 
* It's a community issue, an infrastructure problem.
 
* Many people come because they hear they can work on stuff here; waste an hour looking for tools & materials. It's a headache (find a screwdriver, connect to internet via ethernet, etc.)
 
* Many people come because they hear they can work on stuff here; waste an hour looking for tools & materials. It's a headache (find a screwdriver, connect to internet via ethernet, etc.)
Line 152: Line 149:
 
* If we're not at the point where people can say "stop that", we're not at the point where we can call the police. Have much more fundamental issues to address.
 
* If we're not at the point where people can say "stop that", we're not at the point where we can call the police. Have much more fundamental issues to address.
  
Rayc:
+
RAYC:
 
* we've closed off the spaces where people would camp stuff out
 
* we've closed off the spaces where people would camp stuff out
 
* we have the noisebridge discuss list
 
* we have the noisebridge discuss list
Line 190: Line 187:
 
* I would like to make such a proposal
 
* I would like to make such a proposal
  
Rayc:
+
RAYC:
 
* Re: Naomi - Did Linux come from Unix?
 
* Re: Naomi - Did Linux come from Unix?
 
* We have this OS. Maybe we're building a new one right out of it. Could be the next big hackerspace thing. Who knows!
 
* We have this OS. Maybe we're building a new one right out of it. Could be the next big hackerspace thing. Who knows!
Line 221: Line 218:
 
* Obviously something is broken; saying "be excellent" doesn't fix it
 
* Obviously something is broken; saying "be excellent" doesn't fix it
  
Rayc:
+
RAYC:
 
* This is a hackerspace culture problem too; it's a good start for us to lead the charge & work toward it!
 
* This is a hackerspace culture problem too; it's a good start for us to lead the charge & work toward it!
  
Line 238: Line 235:
  
 
Orange shirt:
 
Orange shirt:
* To members paying & not coming: Many groups come in just to see what NB is all about. It's the 2nd American hackerspace? (Rayc: it's the first!) (Orange: then go edit wikipedia!)
+
* To members paying & not coming: Many groups come in just to see what NB is all about. It's the 2nd American hackerspace? (RAYC: it's the first!) (Orange: then go edit wikipedia!)
 
* If you wanna kill the lease, killing the legacy
 
* If you wanna kill the lease, killing the legacy
  
Line 248: Line 245:
  
 
* Norman: I'm point person for the radio station! We need the FCC to know who we are. I need to be officially appointed by NB to talk to the FCC. (need an FRN / federal record number?)
 
* Norman: I'm point person for the radio station! We need the FCC to know who we are. I need to be officially appointed by NB to talk to the FCC. (need an FRN / federal record number?)
- Adam: You need to be on the board or a signor with power of attorney<br>
+
- Adam: You need to be on the board or a signor with power of attorney
- Tom: The FCC needs NB to correspond with it. Should delegate that authority to Norman. Name you our Radio Officer & empower you to talk with FCC<br>
+
- Tom: The FCC needs NB to correspond with it. Should delegate that authority to Norman. Name you our Radio Officer & empower you to talk with FCC
- First, need the number; then, get permission from FCC to build something; then, need permission from FCC to use it<br>
+
- First, need the number; then, get permission from FCC to build something; then, need permission from FCC to use it
- Proposal to appoint Norman our official "Radio Officer Empowered to Liaise with the FCC": not blocked! Up for approval next meeting.<br>
+
- Proposal to appoint Norman our official "Radio Officer Empowered to Liaise with the FCC": not blocked! Up for approval next meeting.
- "as soon as that station gets licensed, I'm outta here!"<br>
+
- "as soon as that station gets licensed, I'm outta here!"
- Noisebridge has an EIN (taxpayer number)?<br>
+
- Noisebridge has an EIN (taxpayer number)?
- No members are blocking<br>
+
- No members are blocking;
  
 
* Hannah:
 
* Hannah:
Noisebridge adopt a policy, posted on wiki & location of porminent viz w/in space - penalty of expulsion<br>
+
Noisebridge adopt a policy, posted on wiki & location of porminent viz w/in space - penalty of expulsion
--<br>
+
--
 
"Noisebridge is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of people at our events or space in any form. Sexual language and imagery should be only be used for women-positive purposes in accordance with best practices advocated by professional sex educators (if you’re not sure what those are, don’t do it). People violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the space or the event at the discretion of any Noisebridge member.
 
"Noisebridge is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of people at our events or space in any form. Sexual language and imagery should be only be used for women-positive purposes in accordance with best practices advocated by professional sex educators (if you’re not sure what those are, don’t do it). People violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the space or the event at the discretion of any Noisebridge member.
  
Harassment includes offensive verbal comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention. People asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately."<br>
+
Harassment includes offensive verbal comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention. People asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately."
--<br>
+
--
- Rhodey: Retroactive or proactive? - Hannah: proactive<br>
+
- Rhodey: Retroactive or proactive? - Hannah: proactive
- Norman: Does that mean that if he looks at me funny, I can say he's harassing me & his ass gets kicked out? - Hannah: if you ask him not to & he persists - Norman: it is worded very vaguely - Tom: yes, and that's a feature. If you think that about me, and tell me, I should leave. - Norman: draconian - Tom: More unreasonable to force people to be subjected to leering, than vice versa<br>
+
- Norman: Does that mean that if he looks at me funny, I can say he's harassing me & his ass gets kicked out? - Hannah: if you ask him not to & he persists - Norman: it is worded very vaguely - Tom: yes, and that's a feature. If you think that about me, and tell me, I should leave. - Norman: draconian - Tom: More unreasonable to force people to be subjected to leering, than vice versa
- Discussion to follow, next week<br>
+
- Discussion to follow, next week
- JC: Would you propose anything for reporting this, so that membership could enforce these things? - Hannah: any member can ask somebody to leave - Tom: harassment@noisebridge.net for reporting things; arrange for it to be monitored/dealt with<br>
+
- JC: Would you propose anything for reporting this, so that membership could enforce these things? - Hannah: any member can ask somebody to leave - Tom: harassment@noisebridge.net for reporting things; arrange for it to be monitored/dealt with
- Jarrod: Other hackerspaces have very clear anti-harassment policies; NB does not. Maybe it is time that we have a clear, strong one - right after "be excellent to each other".<br>
+
- Jarrod: Other hackerspaces have very clear anti-harassment policies; NB does not. Maybe it is time that we have a clear, strong one - right after "be excellent to each other".
- Rayc: I think good idea, but shouldn't happen. I'm not trolling. Do-ocracy: all that should be printed, put on front door, etc. Why don't we start now? - Tom: we can do it now. Yes, I do it now. We can propose it too.<br>
+
- RAYC: I think good idea, but shouldn't happen. I'm not trolling. Do-ocracy: all that should be printed, put on front door, etc. Why don't we start now? - Tom: we can do it now. Yes, I do it now. We can propose it too.
- Adam: Policy of harassment falls under "be excellent..." Goal is better served by an orientation. Give people an opportunity to think about what IS excellent, vs. what IS NOT excellent. People need space to grow. It's easy to kick somebody out who has social experience of an 8-year-old. Need to understand what people's intentions were. - Tom: Purpose of policy is to make it clear, so that you DON'T accidentally harass someone.<br>
+
- Adam: Policy of harassment falls under "be excellent..." Goal is better served by an orientation. Give people an opportunity to think about what IS excellent, vs. what IS NOT excellent. People need space to grow. It's easy to kick somebody out who has social experience of an 8-year-old. Need to understand what people's intentions were. - Tom: Purpose of policy is to make it clear, so that you DON'T accidentally harass someone.
- Hannah: I do-ocratically put it up on wiki 6 months ago. I'm still being harassed. Want discussion on NB mailing list. Either it will pass, or it will be very clear that there is a serious, serious problem at Noisebridge. Totally in favor of orientations, as well. But we need a clear policy.<br>
+
- Hannah: I do-ocratically put it up on wiki 6 months ago. I'm still being harassed. Want discussion on NB mailing list. Either it will pass, or it will be very clear that there is a serious, serious problem at Noisebridge. Totally in favor of orientations, as well. But we need a clear policy.
- Rhodey: Orientations are expensive - time, other resources. Putting a policy down is "cheap". We don't have a lot of resources right now.<br>
+
- Rhodey: Orientations are expensive - time, other resources. Putting a policy down is "cheap". We don't have a lot of resources right now.
- Snail: A lot of people seem to say "agree that policy is excellent, but..." Why are people afraid of setting in stone some definition of excellence? That seems to be what people are against. But apparently people DO need that defined for themselves - because they don't understand that touching people without their consent isn't excellent. So why can't we just tell them?<br>
+
- Snail: A lot of people seem to say "agree that policy is excellent, but..." Why are people afraid of setting in stone some definition of excellence? That seems to be what people are against. But apparently people DO need that defined for themselves - because they don't understand that touching people without their consent isn't excellent. So why can't we just tell them?
- Jarrod: Consensus is the only thing beyond "be excellent..." that has any teeth @ NB. Do-ocracy doesn't have any power behind it. Consensus does, & this should be behind an A-HP. Even during an orientation, there should be a policy that has been consensed, so that it is real.<br>
+
- Jarrod: Consensus is the only thing beyond "be excellent..." that has any teeth @ NB. Do-ocracy doesn't have any power behind it. Consensus does, & this should be behind an A-HP. Even during an orientation, there should be a policy that has been consensed, so that it is real.
- Does anybody have A Problem with having A Policy?<br>
+
- Does anybody have A Problem with having A Policy?
- Rayc: Do-ocracy does have its limitations; this needs more do-ocracy, in addition. A sign would be hugely positive. I have a problem b/c we just need to make it more apparent that it isn't acceptable. It's a sensitive subject, but we should emphasize how much more paramount sexual harassment is than other issues. I'm actually for a policy - I just think we could do it more clearly with do-ocracy.<br>
+
- RAYC: Do-ocracy does have its limitations; this needs more do-ocracy, in addition. A sign would be hugely positive. I have a problem b/c we just need to make it more apparent that it isn't acceptable. It's a sensitive subject, but we should emphasize how much more paramount sexual harassment is than other issues. I'm actually for a policy - I just think we could do it more clearly with do-ocracy.
- Naomi: Want to examine why writing down what "excellence" is makes people uncomfortable. I think it's because it implies that there will have to be consequences enforced, and more work done. And that is legit. Want to dovetail: Ever start using vi? You've got a file with loads of hosts, or whatever, & want to change them, but don't know how to use s/ for search & replace? Lots of work. That's what do-ocracy "only" is. We want search & replace; work smarter, not harder. Policy performs lots of computational work on the culture, compared to the one-to-one of do-ocracy. - Re: lots of members not here: NB is diverse population. This room isn't representative of usual daily/nightly population. Rayc, other do-ocrats aren't going to be here all the time. There's no core of people to constantly enforce that: it's a giant wave of people against 1-2 people who are here on a regular basis. In lieu of that, need a search-and-replace... which is... I don't like the policy as written (implies the need for a mediation process - or else no enforcement); perhaps encourages inaction. SudoRoom has a good policy, spent months on, addresses Norman's problem re: spurious accusations. Having policy in place w/out mediation procedure = problematic.<br>
+
- Naomi: Want to examine why writing down what "excellence" is makes people uncomfortable. I think it's because it implies that there will have to be consequences enforced, and more work done. And that is legit. Want to dovetail: Ever start using vi? You've got a file with loads of hosts, or whatever, & want to change them, but don't know how to use s/ for search & replace? Lots of work. That's what do-ocracy "only" is. We want search & replace; work smarter, not harder. Policy performs lots of computational work on the culture, compared to the one-to-one of do-ocracy. - Re: lots of members not here: NB is diverse population. This room isn't representative of usual daily/nightly population. RAYC, other do-ocrats aren't going to be here all the time. There's no core of people to constantly enforce that: it's a giant wave of people against 1-2 people who are here on a regular basis. In lieu of that, need a search-and-replace... which is... I don't like the policy as written (implies the need for a mediation process - or else no enforcement); perhaps encourages inaction. SudoRoom has a good policy, spent months on, addresses Norman's problem re: spurious accusations. Having policy in place w/out mediation procedure = problematic.
- ??? featherhat: somebody says NB is known for harassing women, but want to let women know that there are men here who don't tolerate that. There's a diversity of people in here. I came in and someone was cleaning: the thing is, care for your area. I've seen people come in who aren't involved in anything like hacking. This is good progress, having dialogue. But we need to care for the space, & speak up about stuff if you see someone being harassed. It shouldn't take putting a sign on the wall. If you see somebody wandering, give them something to do! We need to be aware of the people coming in, tidy up a bit.<br>
+
- ??? featherhat: somebody says NB is known for harassing women, but want to let women know that there are men here who don't tolerate that. There's a diversity of people in here. I came in and someone was cleaning: the thing is, care for your area. I've seen people come in who aren't involved in anything like hacking. This is good progress, having dialogue. But we need to care for the space, & speak up about stuff if you see someone being harassed. It shouldn't take putting a sign on the wall. If you see somebody wandering, give them something to do! We need to be aware of the people coming in, tidy up a bit.
- Pigeon: Gendered pronouns are good to respect, but minor in regards to sexual assault - policy is a great thing<br>
+
- Pigeon: Gendered pronouns are good to respect, but minor in regards to sexual assault - policy is a great thing
- Rayc: This is a place of education; there needs to be a way people can get this kind of knowledge (how to introduce yourself, etc.).<br>
+
- RAYC: This is a place of education; there needs to be a way people can get this kind of knowledge (how to introduce yourself, etc.).
- Norman: I don't get up to NB often, and when I do, I've (more often than would like to remember) seen people buzzed in who end up looking around, nonplussed. I give them a guided tour, & would like more people to do the same thing. <br>
+
- Norman: I don't get up to NB often, and when I do, I've (more often than would like to remember) seen people buzzed in who end up looking around, nonplussed. I give them a guided tour, & would like more people to do the same thing.  
  
 
* Jake: re: membership
 
* Jake: re: membership
- Propose that from now on, make it policy that people @ NB who aren't members need to be able to identify a sponsor, & if there isn't one, find someone who will sponsor them, or let them know about the next NB meeting & our lists & stuff & help them on their way. Only Members should have codes to get in door &/or buzz others in. But would also need to edit Membership so it's not in lockstep with monetary contribution. Should hinge on accountability to other members.<br>
+
- Propose that from now on, make it policy that people @ NB who aren't members need to be able to identify a sponsor, & if there isn't one, find someone who will sponsor them, or let them know about the next NB meeting & our lists & stuff & help them on their way. Only Members should have codes to get in door &/or buzz others in. But would also need to edit Membership so it's not in lockstep with monetary contribution. Should hinge on accountability to other members.
- Dante: How do you know someone's doing things for the community? - Rhodey: Would need to trust current members to be responsible with that, able to find cool people.<br>
+
- Dante: How do you know someone's doing things for the community? - Rhodey: Would need to trust current members to be responsible with that, able to find cool people.
- Norman: If that were enforced 1 1/2 years ago, I wouldn't be here. I came up because you had a benefit & it sounded fun. Found out later that it's a fun place to be. But if I have to have a member who's my sponsor, I won't be here.<br>
+
- Norman: If that were enforced 1 1/2 years ago, I wouldn't be here. I came up because you had a benefit & it sounded fun. Found out later that it's a fun place to be. But if I have to have a member who's my sponsor, I won't be here.
- Monad: Maybe there should be a probationary period: show up for a few weeks, limited amount of time, then need a sponsor. - Norman: Are you gonna keep track?<br>
+
- Monad: Maybe there should be a probationary period: show up for a few weeks, limited amount of time, then need a sponsor. - Norman: Are you gonna keep track?
- Rayc: Good idea, but we could vote on it. Maybe just in the evening hours - not during the day. Most problem seems to happen at night. Do pilot program, see how it goes?<br>
+
- RAYC: Good idea, but we could vote on it. Maybe just in the evening hours - not during the day. Most problem seems to happen at night. Do pilot program, see how it goes?
- Kevin: has objections but isn't immediately prepared to propose alternatives. Strong thing for NB: its openness, fact that door is always open. - Jake: It's not open; it's locked. - Kevin: I value that we aren't member-oriented, & my biggest concern would be that haven't detailed new membership process that doesn't involve money, & how it would work... 2 sponsors on an application? Those people are accountable? - Jake: You only have to have one sponsor Member who takes responsibility for you while you're here. - Kevin: Even if you had 2 sponsors on a membership app? - Jake: no, need 1 who is there - Kevin: That makes it incredibly hard to start knowing people & become a member.<br>
+
- Kevin: has objections but isn't immediately prepared to propose alternatives. Strong thing for NB: its openness, fact that door is always open. - Jake: It's not open; it's locked. - Kevin: I value that we aren't member-oriented, & my biggest concern would be that haven't detailed new membership process that doesn't involve money, & how it would work... 2 sponsors on an application? Those people are accountable? - Jake: You only have to have one sponsor Member who takes responsibility for you while you're here. - Kevin: Even if you had 2 sponsors on a membership app? - Jake: no, need 1 who is there - Kevin: That makes it incredibly hard to start knowing people & become a member.
- Rhodey: Having the door open brings people here; having the door closed keeps them here. I think it's not our '''strongest''' benefit.<br>
+
- Rhodey: Having the door open brings people here; having the door closed keeps them here. I think it's not our '''strongest''' benefit.
- Rayc: What is keeping you here now? - Rhodey: The food is a lot better here than it is in W. Oakland; otherwise, would be at Sudo Room! The $5 sandwiches! What's keeping me here is the sandwiches; what's keeping me away is the people playing viddya games & not devving; people sleeping; dogs.<br>
+
- RAYC: What is keeping you here now? - Rhodey: The food is a lot better here than it is in W. Oakland; otherwise, would be at Sudo Room! The $5 sandwiches! What's keeping me here is the sandwiches; what's keeping me away is the people playing viddya games & not devving; people sleeping; dogs.
- Jarrod: Think it's lovely. People coming into space should be encouraged to seek out the members, learn how NB works. One rule, yes, but many community standards that flow from that. This sounds like a fairly gentle way of doing that.<br>
+
- Jarrod: Think it's lovely. People coming into space should be encouraged to seek out the members, learn how NB works. One rule, yes, but many community standards that flow from that. This sounds like a fairly gentle way of doing that.
- Rayc: We may not even need to go there yet. I have a bunch of ideas for encouraging people to get hackery & build stuff. I fear that it'll<br>
+
- RAYC: We may not even need to go there yet. I have a bunch of ideas for encouraging people to get hackery & build stuff. I fear that it'll
- Jarrod: Just good for people to know who you are, & that you're cool in the space. Doesn't require weekly meetings or whatever, just encourages you to <br>
+
- Jarrod: Just good for people to know who you are, & that you're cool in the space. Doesn't require weekly meetings or whatever, just encourages you to  
- Merlin: Yes, and: do-ocracy /plus/ <br>
+
- Merlin: Yes, and: do-ocracy /plus/  
- Rayc: But we have awesome 31337 Russian hackers who come at 3am and don't know any members<br>
+
- RAYC: But we have awesome 31337 Russian hackers who come at 3am and don't know any members
- Adam: Everything you guys are talking about is going to be part of the door. It is going to be FUN to be stuck outside! Is there a human behind this robot, or IS IT JUST MESSING WITH YOU??!!?!?!?!1 - You can come here & learn about hacking, but amenities are for members.<br>
+
- Adam: Everything you guys are talking about is going to be part of the door. It is going to be FUN to be stuck outside! Is there a human behind this robot, or IS IT JUST MESSING WITH YOU??!!?!?!?!1 - You can come here & learn about hacking, but amenities are for members.
- Rhodey: You're spreading yourselves too thin... bringing up your own projects as alternative solutions isn't gonna cut it. It's about the community getting involved, not just a few individuals taking care of it.<br>
+
- Rhodey: You're spreading yourselves too thin... bringing up your own projects as alternative solutions isn't gonna cut it. It's about the community getting involved, not just a few individuals taking care of it.
- Hairguy: It bummed me out the other night: was operating the door & somebody called him an elitist asshole because he asked them how to list the contents of a directory<br>
+
- Hairguy: It bummed me out the other night: was operating the door & somebody called him an elitist asshole because he asked them how to list the contents of a directory
- Adam: I usually ask somebody if they're a hacker, & as soon as they make a noise, I open the door :3<br>
+
- Adam: I usually ask somebody if they're a hacker, & as soon as they make a noise, I open the door :3
  
 
* Jarrod: Dante was previously asked to leave b/c disrupted a meeting; is back to discuss this.
 
* Jarrod: Dante was previously asked to leave b/c disrupted a meeting; is back to discuss this.
- Dante: I came in to advocate for a friend who was being mediated for something else. Was laughed at & asked to leave. Want to come back & use the wifi once in a while. Didn't realize that was kicked out until came back later & was told that that was the consensus.<br>
+
- Dante: I came in to advocate for a friend who was being mediated for something else. Was laughed at & asked to leave. Want to come back & use the wifi once in a while. Didn't realize that was kicked out until came back later & was told that that was the consensus.
- Adam: People stated their problem with you, & you understand what it was? - Yes.<br>
+
- Adam: People stated their problem with you, & you understand what it was? - Yes.
- Rhodey: it was very informal, there was no consensus; it was ugly<br>
+
- Rhodey: it was very informal, there was no consensus; it was ugly
- Jarrod: It was bad timing.<br>
+
- Jarrod: It was bad timing.
- Adam: he has spoken for himself & there isn't currently a proposal to ban him. Anybody have problems? Want to propose ban? Dante is aware of what the unexcellent behavior was, & that it was unexcellent, & he Won't Do It Again.<br>
+
- Adam: he has spoken for himself & there isn't currently a proposal to ban him. Anybody have problems? Want to propose ban? Dante is aware of what the unexcellent behavior was, & that it was unexcellent, & he Won't Do It Again.
- Okay he is cool<br>
+
- Okay he is cool
  
* Rayc: GREAT MEETING GUYS NICE JOB
+
* RAYC: GREAT MEETING GUYS NICE JOB
  
 
* Kevin: We began engaging in mediation w/ Dru last week - probs. 7 of us @ 18th/mission for 2 hours - so it's begun.
 
* Kevin: We began engaging in mediation w/ Dru last week - probs. 7 of us @ 18th/mission for 2 hours - so it's begun.
- Naomi: Wat<br>
+
- Naomi: Wat
- Rayc: I was there & ...<br>
+
- RAYC: I was there & ...
- Naomi: Is the meeting over<br>
+
- Naomi: Is the meeting over
- Adam: Yes<br>
+
- Adam: Yes
- yesac: WHO WANTS TO SIGN GPG KEYS<br>
+
- yesac: WHO WANTS TO SIGN GPG KEYS
  
 
= Discussion Notes =
 
= Discussion Notes =
Line 340: Line 337:
 
* Lilia: hack things!
 
* Lilia: hack things!
 
* Jake: eating popcorn
 
* Jake: eating popcorn
* Rayc: patching noisebridge omg Rayc slow down um infrastructure dependencies something
+
* RAYC: patching noisebridge omg rayc slow down um infrastructure dependencies something
 
* Dante: here to resolve a thing; wifi
 
* Dante: here to resolve a thing; wifi
 
* Rhodey: privacy, security, robots, space
 
* Rhodey: privacy, security, robots, space
Line 353: Line 350:
 
* Yan: physics; tech @ EFF
 
* Yan: physics; tech @ EFF
 
* Tom: TOR
 
* Tom: TOR
* Merlin: taking meeting notes so I'm slow; hardware hacking, musical instruments
+
* Merlin: taking meeting notes so i am slow; hardware hacking, musical instruments
  
 
[[Category:Meeting Notes]]
 
[[Category:Meeting Notes]]
Now that the meeting is over, don't forget to '''post the meeting notes to the wiki''' and e-mail the discussion list with a short summary.
 

Please note that all contributions to Noisebridge are considered to be released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (see Noisebridge:Copyrights for details). If you do not want your writing to be edited mercilessly and redistributed at will, then do not submit it here.
You are also promising us that you wrote this yourself, or copied it from a public domain or similar free resource. Do not submit copyrighted work without permission!

To protect the wiki against automated edit spam, we kindly ask you to solve the following CAPTCHA:

Cancel Editing help (opens in new window)