Meeting Notes 2016 06 07

From Noisebridge
Revision as of 05:46, 8 June 2016 by Nthmost (talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search

These are the notes from the The 405th Meeting Not Allowed of Noisebridge. Date: June 7 2016 Note-taker: User:nthmost and Alex; Moderators: Alex Peake

  • Lots of new people here interested in how Noisebridge works.

Meeting Summary

TLDR what happened at the meeting: Exuberant descriptions of quotidian happenstances.

  • Announcements: INCOMING LASER CUTTER! Library-org uses OLID; volunteers needed to scan and tag. Several classes announced.
  • Finances: ??
  • New members: none
  • New philanthropists: nope
  • Consensus Items: uh-uh
  • Discussion Items: Dremel. Elevator. TODO-Ocracy.

  • Noisebridge is a HACKER SPACESHIP, a community-based environment where you do what you want as long as the community is "pretty OK" with it. We use do-ocracy. (And, more rarely, consensus.) As a community you have the opportunity to engage, do your part to sustain the environment and/or change it to make it better. Noisebridge is also for anything that's DIY! and Art! what Noisebridge is about:

Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."


  • Alex: I teach game development after meetings on Tuesdays.
  • John - computer & electronics
  • Richard - mechanical engineer, i like hacking stuff and programming and stuff
  • Eugene - iOS developer in town for conference, looking for place to work
  • Damon - just here ot see what this place is about
  • Juan - software engineer, come here during hte day at NB
  • Mark - game dev, game archiving
  • Jarvis - Android dev, doing live wallpapers, 3D artist
  • Ryan - been coming here for "quite a while now", currently doing press-related stuff & independent contracting (design)
  • Daniel - from Gainesville Florida, Gainesville hackerspace. "Very functional." NB is larger and so is your video wall. (Scotty: drink more beer; your wall will grow)
  • Frank - 15 months ago i found NB, quite awesome. Been studying data communications.
  • Stephanie - came to use the sewing machines in fits and starts.
  • Scotty - turning all the LEDs in the space into FLASCHENTASCHENS!
  • Zach - coming here since 2010, teaching a hardware class on Wednesdays. I don't even Slack or Instagram but I can solder shit really well.
  • Trent - I put DOOM on the kiosks. Play it. There's co-op multiplayer!
  • Nthmost: (Naomi) Member since 2009, happy with how the space is running! I do lots of spectacle-making and meme-hijacking these days.
  • Ife - software developer, here to gain skills, exchange ideas with you interesting people.
  • Bob - used to be software dev, sold my soul to healthcare, have spent past 2 years earning soul back (?!). Confused.
  • Julia - software dev, mostly iOS. here to learn anything
  • Liz - graphic designer, transitioning to game designer role, using motion sensors.
  • Lloyd - musician, educator, software & hardware dev.
  • Juhana - from Finland, checking the place out.
  • Mari - also from Finland, with Juhana.

Short announcements and events

  • Trent: Library-org now has 2000 entries. Attempts to put labels on books in 1-2 weeks. We've converted the process of adding books to the library to use the OpenLibraryID (OLID) -- so we can add ANY work (doesn't have to have an ISBN). (See We will need volunteers!
  • Zach: Teaching a class on Intermediate Hardware Electronics, co-hosted by Jay. If you've already been to CHM, come! starts at 7pm.
  • Trent: CoreBoot meetup tomorrow at 7pm. Check the Meetup if you're definitely going to go.
  • Scotty: We're receiving the laser cutter next week! (maybe Monday)
  • * HELP NEEDED TO BRING IT IN -- 3 or 4 people may not be enough...
  • * Remaining funds needed to pay for the laser cutter: $3300 (out of $5400).
  • Trent: Niche talks on Python -- need one more speaker for 6/13 and one more for 7/11.

Membership Binder

No applicants

membership and the application process:

  • Membership has morphed over the years, but we're still, above all, an anarchist space. So if someone walks in and asks "who's in charge here?!" we all laugh!
  • We have several levels of belongingness that demonstrate commitment to the space. Capital-M Membership is a process of ratifying that you're part of community, we've gotten to know you, you know the ins and outs of the space, doocracy, what consensus is and how it functions, and we have a level of mutual trust in your ability to be a steward of the space, both physically and community-wise.
  • We also have a philanthropist level which is almost the same as membership in terms of belonging and contributing and taking responsibility for the space.
  • Philanthropy level is easier to attain: It takes 1 member to ratify your philanthropist application as your sponsor. It is easy to cancel a philanthropy member by design because the process is short.
  • By comparison, membership is more slow because membership is harder to undo and full participation in Consensus is the privilege of Membership! (You have the ability to block a consensus item if you feel it compromises Noisebridge values.) We haven't had to use consensus very often lately which is good.
  • To become a Member, we require 4 weeks of you having application in the membership binder with sponsorship signatures of 2 other full members. We read your name aloud at meetings (though you don't need to be present each meeting). Ideally, to successfully become a Member, your name should be at least fairly well known, i.e. you don't want the whole room going, "who TF is that?"
  • After 4 weeks, you attend the meeting and we discuss your membership, and you leave the room while we decide, and if we consense you become a full M Member.
  • We have 28 or 30 philanthropists!
  • Important point: You don't need to be a Member or Philanthropist to participate, teach a class, or donate money!

Being a member of Noisebridge is not like being a member of a gym or your local chess club. Anyone can come to Noisebridge to hack and learn: you don't need to be a member for that. At Noisebridge, membership is something different: it means taking responsibility and committing to help to maintain, improve, and govern Noisebridge. As a member of Noisebridge, you don't just come here to hack and learn, you actively work to improve what you see around you, help to deal with problems, and make this community and space better than it is today.


A new-ish organizational construct that helps us extend the community, keep the space open, and improve our regular cash flow.

Philantropy, and the application process:

  • To become philanthropist, 1 sponsor vouches and you commit to donate a monthly amount to the space. It is $80 or starving hacker rate $40. See more in Membership above.

Financial Report

  • Funds in bank: ???
  • Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of ???
  • We should probably hold a fundraiser for the imminently arriving laser cutter.

Consensus and Discussion

Consensus?! we don't need no steenking consensus

a brief primer on consensus process

...So, uh, we didn't really talk about Consensus, so here's an obvious troll from your note-taker as we move on to Discussions.

  “Consensus: “The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, 
   and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which 
   no one objects; the process of avoiding the very issues that have to be solved, 
   merely because you cannot get agreement on the way ahead. What great cause would 
   have been fought and won under the banner: ‘I stand for consensus?” 
   --Margaret Thatcher

Proposals from last week


Proposals for next week

Squeaky clean

Discussion Items

The Mysterious Case of the Cordless Dremel

  • Zach: I'd like to contribute a Dremel. Would like to have a simple deterrent to theft for the dremel.
  • Alex: A locker perhaps?
  • Zach: OK, or maybe just zip-tie it down.
  • Naomi: did you say it needs a battery?
  • Zach: Yes, a 12v lithium ion one -- about $25 or $35 or so. I have a charger and bits and everything else. Also, donate towards some good metal cutting bits, if anyone wants them.

Hilarious Elevator Antics

  • Zach: The elevator acts really weird. e.g. if you hold the button for too long, it goes an inch and a half too low, causing problems for people in chairs, etc.
  • Alex: maybe we could make a sign? post this to the nb-discuss list?
  • Scotty: I think Rubin's been the main pt of contact with the landlord. He's out of the country right now though.


Every other Thursday at 7pm, people meet to manage Noisebridge tickets and do boring shit that keeps the space running.

  • There's a Trello board keeping track of what's needed done.
  • Brian: The doorbell in front of the elevator isn't working.
  • Jim: let's talk about SparkleForge
  • Jared: Volunteers to help with electrical, contact


End of Meeting