Difference between revisions of "Meeting Notes 2017 04 11"

From Noisebridge
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created new meeting page)
 
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
Cool! who's enever been before? (hands)
 +
 +
Alright cool. meetings can be boring but we're gonna try to not. Well first. let's go over the meeting  rules.
 +
 +
Rules: be excellent.
 +
 +
Roles: moderator? facilitator? note-taker?
 +
 +
Would someone like to explain what noisebridge is?
 +
 +
"Free, donation-based hackerspace" - Keita
 +
 +
So right after we introduce noisebridge we introduce ourselves.
 +
 +
* Keita - has been coming here ~10 times. ios development. Likes ios apps. Friend (name ? ) introduced them.
 +
* Miet? - second or third time coming here. Came last week for different meeting. Has electrical engineering background. Software engineer. Does circuit design and  code, so here to practice + interview and things. Went to hackerdojo in santa clara for the past seven or eight months. Just moved here, wanted to check out noisebridge. Heard that noisebridge was the hacker dojo of sf.
 +
* Jacob - couple months. Introduced to noisebridge 2 years ago by patrick. Didn't come much. Burnt out. Comes here. Works, laser cuts, leds.
 +
* Charlie - coming for not exactly sure. Maybe about a year? Anyway. Usually works on electronics. Various projects. Working on nixie tube character display with donated tubes. Also does computer stuff. Likes to sort donations because I don't know. Ask if you want to find something.
 +
* Sean (?)  - got to sf from shanghai. Met Mitch there. Likes electronics. Motor controllers and levitation.
 +
* Lizzie - Electronics/security/audio. Rack mount synths. High WPM for note taking. Built a guitar amp. Hook it up to the guitar.
 +
* Victoria Fierce - coming to noisebridge for too long. Housing organizer and also does electronics and machining and things. Has a asmall art project on the table. Thing with the lights. It's yeah. it's a bus scheduler! Facilitates.
 +
* Ross - have lived in sf for four weeks. Signed up for a meetup for the next two weeks every night. Works at cooper (?) design consulting. Digital marketing, twitter apis, has been to noisebridge four times. Mechanical and electrical engineering.
 +
* Popcorn Chris - does biochem. Sets up a biochem workspace. Coming here for 6months or something now. Uh yeah.
 +
* Alex - Open science summit 2012. Popping in and out. AUtomating, oss, programming languages, what else am I supposed to say.
 +
* Popcorn Rafael - regularly coming to noisebridge since just before christmas. Made christmas gifts with lasers. Hadn't really come here often but knew about it. Now here regularly. Recently unemployed, now a new job, but still going to try to come. Works on ahcking old thinkpads and building stuff that doesn't always work.
 +
* Nate - works on software engineering. Involved with gamebridge and unity. Works on unity and VR stuff. Focused on VR. Can tell people more about that, or about java.
 +
* Jacob - moved to palo alto five weeks ago. been to noisebridge twice before. Trying to get into the privacy scene. Tryiung to create a way to accept payments via prepaid credit cards. Venmo without linking actual bank.
 +
* Jay - first time here. Interested in a lot of things. Self-driving is one. if anyone wants to build a small self-driving car will help. Specializing in neural networks and computer vision. Would be hapen to help on electronics side and model (?) side. Another project - equities trading w/ reinforcement learning. It's free and open! Use it.
 +
Has a startup in indonesia. 13 people. Building ios and web apps.
 +
* Ben - Went to the meetup yuesterday. Went to circuit hackin. Got a tour. Likes people teaching each other. Here for another meetup for making games. Also want to contributes. Works at an optometry office. Can we grind lenses here??
 +
* Jeremey - fixes hats. likes ai. Rabbit holed into haskel.. Now learning datalog and prolog. Talk to me.
 +
 +
Did we miss anybody?
 +
 +
 +
Noisebridge has introduced itself to us and we have introduced ourselves to noisebridge so we're good. We're going to touch on things briefly.
 +
 +
Participation - "anyone can participate".
 +
Safe space - " Noisebridge is considered a safe space because we want people to hack, especially people who don't have other venues to hack"
 +
Victoria - glad it's a sentence.
 +
 +
Membership binder. You can be a member of the noisebridge if you want.
 +
 +
What's a member? What do you think? Chill out and work on things here. Charlie - being a member is different than just coming here ot hack. It's more for people who want to demonstrate commitment on a concrete level. You can apply to be a member and can block consensus if a big decision happens.  We'll talk about consensus later. Anyway yeah.
 +
PBS membership! You get a badge.
 +
Victoria - it's more like sierra club.
 +
You get mail about board electrions. Sierra club is full of shit.
 +
 +
Membership binder - what's a philantropist? You're a sustaining member of PBS and get to watch all the shows at noisebridge. You get to do everything just like anyone but you can also close down the space if you're the last person. and you pay money. And you get 24/7 access.
 +
 +
Reader submission - lizzie wants to be a philantropist. So does chris venter and patrick minault. All accepted??
 +
 +
You can't block shit if you're a philantropist. and it can be revoked.  If lizzie shits in the woodshop she can stop being a philantropist.
 +
No one objects! am philantropist. Rights and philantropist.  Needs money.
 +
 +
Membership applications are in this binder. There's a long wiki page about membership. You get two members. We talk about it four weeks. We ask you personal questions. We gossip. We reveal whether or not we've consensed.
 +
 +
Consensus - anyone can block other members. Rationale is that person blocking may not want to explain.
 +
 +
Financial reports -  ????
 +
 +
Explanation of Consensus - lizzie said this so didn't type it.
 +
 +
Victoria - blocking is more like "if this proposal happens, I will walk away from noisebridge". Block is a "slow down", not a "no".
 +
 +
But 99% of things are just things people do. You don't need consensus for everything. Doocracy!
 +
 +
Rafeal - Big C - trying to modify the physical space, or move noisebridge, or something. Little c is like "I decide we have too many oscilloscopes. let's move some."
 +
 +
Discussion items-
 +
Jacob - wants to get a group for a few conferences in the summer: Defcon, a few others. Has a 2016 van. Wants to go.
 +
Jeremy - just being a jackass. Possessed?
 +
 +
Jacob has a van. Wants to network with people who want to go. Exchange contact info. July 27th! Las Vegas! Defcon is the world's biggest "family oriented hacking event". Not hacking bad. Head of NSA goes. Security conference. 12h drive. There's a documentary. You can get whatever kind of experience you want. 4-day event. dontworrybehappyplease@aol.com .
 +
 +
Friend Ivan wants to talk about etching boards with acid and lasers.
 +
 +
Keita - doing a meetup about ios development. Weekend-gathering-style-meetup. We all design or discuss an ios topic. Met Ruth. Wants a key so he can do Sunday meetups.
 +
 +
Rosse - interviews people about corporate work environments. If someone works in a large office. Contact me@rossegates.com
 +
 +
 +
 
----------->8----------
 
----------->8----------
 
DELETE EVERYTHING BELOW THIS LINE WHEN YOU POST THE MEETING MINUTES KTHX!!!
 
DELETE EVERYTHING BELOW THIS LINE WHEN YOU POST THE MEETING MINUTES KTHX!!!
Line 158: Line 241:
 
* Reprise of the [[Hackernationale]]. [This is anarchy - we do what the wiki says!]
 
* Reprise of the [[Hackernationale]]. [This is anarchy - we do what the wiki says!]
 
* [[PGP|PGP Key Signing]] could happen now (if it doesn't happen '''before''' any given Meeting).  Ask others around the space or check the [[PGP|list]] to see who wants in on the action.
 
* [[PGP|PGP Key Signing]] could happen now (if it doesn't happen '''before''' any given Meeting).  Ask others around the space or check the [[PGP|list]] to see who wants in on the action.
 +
  
  
 
[[Category:Meeting Notes]]
 
[[Category:Meeting Notes]]

Latest revision as of 03:03, 19 April 2017

Cool! who's enever been before? (hands)

Alright cool. meetings can be boring but we're gonna try to not. Well first. let's go over the meeting rules.

Rules: be excellent.

Roles: moderator? facilitator? note-taker?

Would someone like to explain what noisebridge is?

"Free, donation-based hackerspace" - Keita

So right after we introduce noisebridge we introduce ourselves.

  • Keita - has been coming here ~10 times. ios development. Likes ios apps. Friend (name ? ) introduced them.
  • Miet? - second or third time coming here. Came last week for different meeting. Has electrical engineering background. Software engineer. Does circuit design and code, so here to practice + interview and things. Went to hackerdojo in santa clara for the past seven or eight months. Just moved here, wanted to check out noisebridge. Heard that noisebridge was the hacker dojo of sf.
  • Jacob - couple months. Introduced to noisebridge 2 years ago by patrick. Didn't come much. Burnt out. Comes here. Works, laser cuts, leds.
  • Charlie - coming for not exactly sure. Maybe about a year? Anyway. Usually works on electronics. Various projects. Working on nixie tube character display with donated tubes. Also does computer stuff. Likes to sort donations because I don't know. Ask if you want to find something.
  • Sean (?) - got to sf from shanghai. Met Mitch there. Likes electronics. Motor controllers and levitation.
  • Lizzie - Electronics/security/audio. Rack mount synths. High WPM for note taking. Built a guitar amp. Hook it up to the guitar.
  • Victoria Fierce - coming to noisebridge for too long. Housing organizer and also does electronics and machining and things. Has a asmall art project on the table. Thing with the lights. It's yeah. it's a bus scheduler! Facilitates.
  • Ross - have lived in sf for four weeks. Signed up for a meetup for the next two weeks every night. Works at cooper (?) design consulting. Digital marketing, twitter apis, has been to noisebridge four times. Mechanical and electrical engineering.
  • Popcorn Chris - does biochem. Sets up a biochem workspace. Coming here for 6months or something now. Uh yeah.
  • Alex - Open science summit 2012. Popping in and out. AUtomating, oss, programming languages, what else am I supposed to say.
  • Popcorn Rafael - regularly coming to noisebridge since just before christmas. Made christmas gifts with lasers. Hadn't really come here often but knew about it. Now here regularly. Recently unemployed, now a new job, but still going to try to come. Works on ahcking old thinkpads and building stuff that doesn't always work.
  • Nate - works on software engineering. Involved with gamebridge and unity. Works on unity and VR stuff. Focused on VR. Can tell people more about that, or about java.
  • Jacob - moved to palo alto five weeks ago. been to noisebridge twice before. Trying to get into the privacy scene. Tryiung to create a way to accept payments via prepaid credit cards. Venmo without linking actual bank.
  • Jay - first time here. Interested in a lot of things. Self-driving is one. if anyone wants to build a small self-driving car will help. Specializing in neural networks and computer vision. Would be hapen to help on electronics side and model (?) side. Another project - equities trading w/ reinforcement learning. It's free and open! Use it.

Has a startup in indonesia. 13 people. Building ios and web apps.

  • Ben - Went to the meetup yuesterday. Went to circuit hackin. Got a tour. Likes people teaching each other. Here for another meetup for making games. Also want to contributes. Works at an optometry office. Can we grind lenses here??
  • Jeremey - fixes hats. likes ai. Rabbit holed into haskel.. Now learning datalog and prolog. Talk to me.

Did we miss anybody?


Noisebridge has introduced itself to us and we have introduced ourselves to noisebridge so we're good. We're going to touch on things briefly.

Participation - "anyone can participate". Safe space - " Noisebridge is considered a safe space because we want people to hack, especially people who don't have other venues to hack" Victoria - glad it's a sentence.

Membership binder. You can be a member of the noisebridge if you want.

What's a member? What do you think? Chill out and work on things here. Charlie - being a member is different than just coming here ot hack. It's more for people who want to demonstrate commitment on a concrete level. You can apply to be a member and can block consensus if a big decision happens. We'll talk about consensus later. Anyway yeah. PBS membership! You get a badge. Victoria - it's more like sierra club. You get mail about board electrions. Sierra club is full of shit.

Membership binder - what's a philantropist? You're a sustaining member of PBS and get to watch all the shows at noisebridge. You get to do everything just like anyone but you can also close down the space if you're the last person. and you pay money. And you get 24/7 access.

Reader submission - lizzie wants to be a philantropist. So does chris venter and patrick minault. All accepted??

You can't block shit if you're a philantropist. and it can be revoked. If lizzie shits in the woodshop she can stop being a philantropist. No one objects! am philantropist. Rights and philantropist. Needs money.

Membership applications are in this binder. There's a long wiki page about membership. You get two members. We talk about it four weeks. We ask you personal questions. We gossip. We reveal whether or not we've consensed.

Consensus - anyone can block other members. Rationale is that person blocking may not want to explain.

Financial reports -  ????

Explanation of Consensus - lizzie said this so didn't type it.

Victoria - blocking is more like "if this proposal happens, I will walk away from noisebridge". Block is a "slow down", not a "no".

But 99% of things are just things people do. You don't need consensus for everything. Doocracy!

Rafeal - Big C - trying to modify the physical space, or move noisebridge, or something. Little c is like "I decide we have too many oscilloscopes. let's move some."

Discussion items- Jacob - wants to get a group for a few conferences in the summer: Defcon, a few others. Has a 2016 van. Wants to go. Jeremy - just being a jackass. Possessed?

Jacob has a van. Wants to network with people who want to go. Exchange contact info. July 27th! Las Vegas! Defcon is the world's biggest "family oriented hacking event". Not hacking bad. Head of NSA goes. Security conference. 12h drive. There's a documentary. You can get whatever kind of experience you want. 4-day event. dontworrybehappyplease@aol.com .

Friend Ivan wants to talk about etching boards with acid and lasers.

Keita - doing a meetup about ios development. Weekend-gathering-style-meetup. We all design or discuss an ios topic. Met Ruth. Wants a key so he can do Sunday meetups.

Rosse - interviews people about corporate work environments. If someone works in a large office. Contact me@rossegates.com



>8----------

DELETE EVERYTHING BELOW THIS LINE WHEN YOU POST THE MEETING MINUTES KTHX!!!

Instructions[edit]

Congratulations and/or condolences! You're reading this because you're participating in a meeting of Noisebridge!

Meetings should be limited to an hour when possible. Shorter is fine, but avoid rushing.

You should read this instructional section thoroughly, and treat them as a guideline for how to host a meeting of Noisebridge. There are three ingredients to an Excellent meeting: A number of note takers, some facilitators, and participants.

Meetings are just one of the tools used at Noisebridge to create net forward progress on whatever it is we're all trying to do. Meetings aren't the only way to make decisions or have discussions, and in fact its usually a much better idea to talk about things outside the meeting before dragging the entire community kicking and screaming into it.

Note Takers[edit]

  1. Confirm last meeting was saved
  2. Take new notes
  3. Save and share the notes at the end of the meeting (instructions at the bottom).

Facilitators[edit]

There are generally two kinds of facilitator roles at a Noisebridge meeting:

  • Stack taker - Useful when a lot of folks want to hop on the discussion stack. This gives everyone a turn to have their feelings heard. Usually only works when there is exactly one stack taker.
  • Moderators - Keeps the meeting moving and prevents everyone from wasting too much time on one subject. Anyone is free to pick up moderation and move the meeting along.

In general, moderators should:

  • Understand the structure of Noisebridge decision-making
  • Make sure everyone gets a chance to speak.
  • Speak only minimally yourself.
  • Keep the meeting moving, and avoid getting bogged down.
  • Identify discussion items, arrange times limits for talking about each item.
  • Identify and summarize consensus, suggest things that need to be done.
  • Get the membership binder and ensure that it is returned safely.

Participants[edit]

Everyone at a Noisebridge meeting who has consented to participating in one is a participant!

  • Say your name before you talk.
  • Remain on-topic, and speak as concisely as possible.
  • Assist the note-taker with any links or corrections that are needed.
  • Remain respectful of other participants, their time, and the consensus and moderation process.


DELETE EVERYTHING ABOVE THIS LINE WHEN YOU POST THE MEETING MINUTES KTHX!!!


>8----------

These are the notes from the The XXXth Meeting of Noisebridge. Date: FIXME THE DATE HERE Note-taker: FIXME YOUR NAME HERE; Moderators: FIXME THEIR NAME HERE.

  • One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.

Meeting Summary[edit]

FIXME FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST TLDR what happened at the meeting:

  • Announcements:
  • Finances:
  • New members:
  • New philanthropists:
  • Consensus Items:
  • Discussion Items:

Introductions[edit]

Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."

  • Introduce any experimental or unusual moderation techniques that may be using during the meeting like: direct responses, limited speaking time, orderless stack, &c.
  • Round of introductions (remember, announcements come later):
    • What's your name
    • What do you do
    • What do you maintain at Noisebridge?
    • if you are new: how did you hear about Noisebridge?

Short announcements and events[edit]

  • Cool new projects? Something you'd like people to know? Say now, but keep it short! One or two sentences please!
  • Any happenings at the space of which members should be made aware.
  • Don't hog everyone's time since we all just want to hack!

Safe Space[edit]

Note: This section is experimental. We discussed it at Meeting_Notes_2016_06_28. We're going to try it for the next meeting, and see how it goes, and then discuss in the discussion section how it went, and how we'd like to tweak it.

Noisebridge is a safe space. Invite a volunteer to describe what that means.

Some specific points you might prompt the group to touch on, if it doesn't happen naturally:

  • What to do if you feel uncomfortable.
  • Noisebridge strives to be radically inclusive. What does that mean?
  • Noisebridge has an antiharassment policy. What does that mean?

Participation[edit]

Invite a knowledgable volunteer to describe who can participate at Noisebridge, including:

  • Describe how to get an rfid key for the door system
  • Describe how to get access to slack

Philanthropists[edit]

  • Invite a knowledgeable volunteer to describe Philantropy, and the application process.
  • Read off any names from the binder for the past month. Any applicants must have their sponsor present to vouch for them.
  • If there are no objections, they're a philanthropist! Their pledge should be handed over to the Secretary posthaste, after which their token will be updated to give them the 24/7 access they've earned(?)

Membership Binder [edit]

  • Invite a knowledgeable volunteer to describe membership, and the application process.

Being a member of Noisebridge is not like being a member of a gym or your local chess club. Anyone can come to Noisebridge to hack and learn: you don't need to be a member for that. At Noisebridge, membership is something different: it means taking responsibility and committing to help to maintain, improve, and govern Noisebridge. As a member of Noisebridge, you don't just come here to hack and learn, you actively work to improve what you see around you, help to deal with problems, and make this community and space better than it is today.

  • Read off any names from the binder for the past month. Mark down a check or other indicator on every open application to keep track of how many weeks they've been read out.
  • Anyone eligible to join this week should
    • introduce themselves,
    • answer any questions members may have for them, then
    • leave the area in search of gifts (traditionally beer and a lime, or cookies) for the rest of the group.
  • The rest of the meeting should reach consensus on whether they may join.
  • Remember to applaud new members when they return.


Financial Report[edit]

Consensus[edit]

  • invite a knowledgeable volunteer to give a brief primer on consensus process
  • It is important that everyone in attendance understands at least:
    • Blocking with verbalized principled objections.
    • Why we use consensus over other approaches to decision making.
    • How consensus isn't a legislative process
    • Why consensus isn't applicable to some things like conflict resolution, resolution of time sinks, and the like.

Proposals from last week [edit]

(Add any items which are consensed upon or someone has raised a principle objection for to the Consensus Items History page.)

Proposals for next week [edit]

(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)


Discussion[edit]

Longer discussion items belong here. This is the last part of the meeting so that people can break off and continue their discussion afterwards.


Discussion Items[edit]

If any important discussion happens, it should be happening after forward progress is made during consensus.

End of Meeting[edit]

  1. Return the membership binder to its rightful location.
  2. Discuss any items for which there was not time during the meeting.
  3. Enjoy the company of your fellow hacker, robot, or robothacker.

Note taker posts the notes[edit]

  1. Clean and tidy the meeting notes including removing all these really verbose instructions.
  2. Fill out the short summary at the top listing just announcements, consensus items, discussion topics, and names of new members and philanthropists.
  3. Copy paste the notes to the next meeting page. (They will become Last meeting at midnight.)
  4. Email the meeting summary to Noisebridge Discuss and Noisebridge Announce lists.
  5. CC on the email treasurer@noisebridge.net and secretary@noisebridge.net if there are new members and philanthropists.
  6. Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week.
  7. Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week.

Fun things to do after[edit]

  • Reprise of the Hackernationale. [This is anarchy - we do what the wiki says!]
  • PGP Key Signing could happen now (if it doesn't happen before any given Meeting). Ask others around the space or check the list to see who wants in on the action.