Meeting Notes 2018 08 14
Noisebridge meeting 2018-08-14
Meeting Notes are at https://pad.riseup.net/p/nbmeeting; help us take notes!
Note taker(s): cel, also you?
Give us money!
Access patreon donation numbers programatically - https://www.patreon.com/api/campaigns/1506979?json-api-use-default-includes=false&json-api-version=1.0&fields%5Bcampaign%5D=pledge_sum%2Cpatron_count
We have 83 patrons pledging $1754 a month, keep donating!
- One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.
FIXME FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST
TLDR what happened at the meeting:
- New members:
- New philanthropists:
- Consensus Items:
- Discussion Items:
- cel -- she/her, kernel programming, distributed systems, last week in SF
- faye -- she/her, infosec, only here for a single week
- dara -- he/him, mobile development, studying computer science
- sentil -- he/him, woodworking
- keita -- he/him, makes iOS apps, organizing an iOS meetup
- thom -- he/him, electrical engineer
- charlie -- n/a, works at a wholesale hardware company, interfacing
- jason -- they/them, wears fannypacks bandolier-style, helps people learn full-stack development
- jeremy -- he/him/y'all, jams, went to defcon, interested in intelligent systems, interested in shitty chips in china, cardboard
- eli -- he/him, hacking on forward-error-correction code, works at a software startup
- frank -- he/him (they/them also okay), data communications, blockchain
[jeremy explains what noisebridge is about]
Short announcements and events
frank: keep an eye on the noisebridge webpage, etherium studygroup is happening (see meetup) -- group study, occasional guests
cel: impromptu PGP keysigning party after the meeting
[jason explains our safe space policy]
[cel explains rfid keys and slack]
[jason explains what philanthopists are and how to apply]
cel: are you required to let people into the space?
[senthil and keita become philanthropists]
Membership Binder 
[skipping membership process]
Financial Report - July 10, 2018
Noisebridge has $92,658.03 in the bank.
$64,519.34 in the General Fund
$8,732.66 for Noisetor (SEE NOISETOR NOTE)
$5,351.38 in the Equipment Fund
$3,271.28 in the Laser Maintenance Fund
$200 in the Accessibility Fund
$10,177.45 in the Elevator Repair Fund
$358.92 in the Sewing Fund
$47 in the Electronics Fund
0.1626 BTC in the HODL Fund
We renewed our lease through August 2019!
[frank and charlie describe the consensus process]
no previous consensus items. no new consensus items.
charlie: Noisebridge community participants should pay. Anyone who wants to opt out should be able to do so.
jeremy: [this isn't in line with noisebridge's standard operating system]
jeremy: [how is this different?]
charlie: [it's very different -- it's the opposite]
frank: [discussion of a student organization] here, culturally, we're one of the organizations that says "here's an event; there's a recommended donation to give." some people put more, some put less. people attend events, but don't have to make a formal declaration. [... discussion of techshop ...]
faye: you're proposing changing the social dynamics of noisebridge
charlie: you can't say that there's some dynamic that everyone else has that I've managed to miss, unless I have dementia or something.
jeremy: it's exactly the same as what we're already doing.
charlie: [discussion about what a default is]
charlie: do you think that freedom is inherently tied to the ability to opt out?
[discussion continues; is eventually tabled]
End of Meeting
- Discuss any items for which there was not time during the meeting.
- Enjoy the company of your fellow hacker, robot, or robothacker.
Note taker posts the notes
- Clean and tidy the meeting notes including removing all these really verbose instructions.
- Fill out the short summary at the top listing just announcements, consensus items, discussion topics, and names of new members and philanthropists.
- Copy paste the notes to the next meeting page. (They will become Last meeting at midnight.)
- Email the meeting summary to Noisebridge Discuss and Noisebridge Announce lists.
- CC on the email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org if there are new members and philanthropists.
- Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week.
- Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week.
Fun things to do after
- Reprise of the Hackernationale. [This is anarchy - we do what the wiki says!]
- PGP Key Signing could happen now (if it doesn't happen before any given Meeting). Ask others around the space or check the list to see who wants in on the action.