Meeting Notes 2018 08 14
Noisebridge meeting 2018-08-14
Meeting Notes are at https://pad.riseup.net/p/nbmeeting; help us take notes!
Note taker(s): cel, also you?
Give us money!
Access patreon donation numbers programatically - https://www.patreon.com/api/campaigns/1506979?json-api-use-default-includes=false&json-api-version=1.0&fields%5Bcampaign%5D=pledge_sum%2Cpatron_count
We have 83 patrons pledging $1754 a month, keep donating!
- One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.
FIXME FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST
TLDR what happened at the meeting:
- New members:
- New philanthropists:
- Consensus Items:
- Discussion Items:
- cel -- she/her, kernel programming, distributed systems, last week in SF
- faye -- she/her, infosec, only here for a single week
- dara -- he/him, mobile development, studying computer science
- sentil -- he/him, woodworking
- keita -- he/him, makes iOS apps, organizing an iOS meetup
- thom -- he/him, electrical engineer
- charlie -- n/a, works at a wholesale hardware company, interfacing
- jason -- they/them, wears fannypacks bandolier-style, helps people learn full-stack development
- jeremy -- he/him/y'all, jams, went to defcon, interested in intelligent systems, interested in shitty chips in china, cardboard
- eli -- he/him, hacking on forward-error-correction code, works at a software startup
- frank -- he/him (they/them also okay), data communications, blockchain
[jeremy explains what noisebridge is about]
Short announcements and events
frank: keep an eye on the noisebridge webpage, etherium studygroup is happening (see meetup) -- group study, occasional guests
cel: impromptu PGP keysigning party after the meeting
[jason explains our safe space policy]
[cel explains rfid keys and slack]
[jason explains what philanthopists are and how to apply]
cel: are you required to let people into the space?
[senthil and keita become philanthropists]
[skipping membership process]
Financial Report - July 10, 2018
Noisebridge has $92,658.03 in the bank.
$64,519.34 in the General Fund
$8,732.66 for Noisetor (SEE NOISETOR NOTE)
$5,351.38 in the Equipment Fund
$3,271.28 in the Laser Maintenance Fund
$200 in the Accessibility Fund
$10,177.45 in the Elevator Repair Fund
$358.92 in the Sewing Fund
$47 in the Electronics Fund
0.1626 BTC in the HODL Fund
We renewed our lease through August 2019!
[frank and charlie describe the consensus process]
no previous consensus items. no new consensus items.
charlie: Noisebridge community participants should pay. Anyone who wants to opt out should be able to do so.
jeremy: [this isn't in line with noisebridge's standard operating system]
jeremy: [how is this different?]
charlie: [it's very different -- it's the opposite]
frank: [discussion of a student organization] here, culturally, we're one of the organizations that says "here's an event; there's a recommended donation to give." some people put more, some put less. people attend events, but don't have to make a formal declaration. [... discussion of techshop ...]
faye: you're proposing changing the social dynamics of noisebridge
charlie: you can't say that there's some dynamic that everyone else has that I've managed to miss, unless I have dementia or something.
jeremy: it's exactly the same as what we're already doing.
charlie: [discussion about what a default is]
charlie: do you think that freedom is inherently tied to the ability to opt out?
[discussion continues; is eventually tabled]
End of Meeting
- Discuss any items for which there was not time during the meeting.
- Enjoy the company of your fellow hacker, robot, or robothacker.
Note taker posts the notes
- Clean and tidy the meeting notes including removing all these really verbose instructions.
- Fill out the short summary at the top listing just announcements, consensus items, discussion topics, and names of new members and philanthropists.
- CC on the email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com if there are new members and philanthropists.
- Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week.
- Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week.
Fun things to do after
- Reprise of the Hackernationale. [This is anarchy - we do what the wiki says!]