Difference between revisions of "Meeting Notes 2019 05 28"

From Noisebridge
Jump to: navigation, search
(adding notes from tonights meeting.)
(No difference)

Revision as of 06:15, 29 May 2019

https://pad.riseup.net/p/nbmeeting



>8----------

These are the notes from the The XXXth Meeting of Noisebridge. Date: May 28, 2019 Note-taker: Matt; Moderators: tyler.

  • followed the general template but skipped someparts.


Instructions[edit] Congratulations and/or condolences! You're reading this because you're participating in a meeting of Noisebridge! Meetings should be limited to an hour when possible. Shorter is fine, but avoid rushing. You should read this instructional section thoroughly, and treat them as a guideline for how to host a meeting of Noisebridge. There are three ingredients to an Excellent meeting: A number of note takers, some facilitators, and participants. Meetings are just one of the tools used at Noisebridge to create net forward progress on whatever it is we're all trying to do. Meetings aren't the only way to make decisions or have discussions, and in fact its usually a much better idea to talk about things outside the meeting before dragging the entire community kicking and screaming into it. Note Takers[edit] Confirm last meeting was saved Check Last meeting page to confirm the Riseup pad notes were saved there at end of last meeting. Does the text date match the page date? Great! If not and the Riseup pad looks like last week, copy the unsaved notes into Last meeting. If you need to clear up confusion, check the meeting notes archiveto make sure. Take new notes Open the shared text editor pad on our sandstorm instance. Project the notes in real time for all to see and announce the URL to collaboratively take notes on the major points of the meeting. Copy paste the Meeting Notes Template] markup into the Riseup pad. Begin lines with * or separate lines with blank space because Mediawiki syntax ignores single carriage returns. Save and share the notes at the end of the meeting (instructions at the bottom). Facilitators[edit] There are generally two kinds of facilitator roles at a Noisebridge meeting: Stack taker - Useful when a lot of folks want to hop on the discussion stack. This gives everyone a turn to have their feelings heard. Usually only works when there is exactly one stack taker. Moderators - Keeps the meeting moving and prevents everyone from wasting too much time on one subject. Anyone is free to pick up moderation and move the meeting along. In general, moderators should: Understand the structure of Noisebridge decision-making Make sure everyone gets a chance to speak. Speak only minimally yourself. Keep the meeting moving, and avoid getting bogged down. Identify discussion items, arrange times limits for talking about each item. Identify and summarize consensus, suggest things that need to be done. Get the membership binder and ensure that it is returned safely. Participants[edit] Everyone at a Noisebridge meeting who has consented to participating in one is a participant! Say your name before you talk. Remain on-topic, and speak as concisely as possible. Assist the note-taker with any links or corrections that are needed. Remain respectful of other participants, their time, and the consensus and moderation process.

DELETE EVERYTHING ABOVE THIS LINE WHEN YOU POST THE MEETING MINUTES KTHX!!! >8---------- These are the notes from the The XXXth Meeting of Noisebridge. Date: FIXME THE DATE HERE Note-taker: FIXME YOUR NAME HERE; Moderators: FIXME THEIR NAME HERE. One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary. Meeting Summary[edit] FIXME FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST TLDR what happened at the meeting: Fundraising Update Announcements: Finances: New members: New philanthropists: Consensus Items: Discussion Items: Fundraising Update[edit] Fundraising team gives update on fundraising Introductions[edit] Invite a knowledgeable volunteer to explain what Noisebridge is about: Noisebridge is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'." Introduce any experimental or unusual moderation techniques that may be using during the meeting like: direct responses, limited speaking time, orderless stack, &c. Round of introductions (remember, announcements come later): What is your name? What pronoun do you use? You don't need to feel pressure to work out your entire identity -- just let us know what to call you when we talk about you in the third person. What do you do ? What do you maintain at Noisebridge? If you are new, how did you hear about Noisebridge? teresa - she her - drawing group with pencils and paper, noise music, maybe do a group meeting thing Natalie = she her - hangs out, likes code, music, electronics Matt - likes lots freddy - he him - italian, loves nb. data python nerd ibbi - he him - maker, drawer, stuff kayvon - multidiscipline artist, board member of clarion ally charlie - into it jon - sec decentralization linux alice - she her - attorney, founded restore the fourth and has been coming since. into helping nb to next phase. gwen - into sewing and other stuff zach - opensource smart shoes, web stuff, crowd funding platform dev


Short announcements and events[edit] Cool new projects? Something you'd like people to know? Say now, but keep it short! One or two sentences please! Any happenings at the space of which members should be made aware. Don't hog everyone's time since we all just want to hack! Check Newsbridge for weekly updates on cool things at Noisebridge, possibly not announced at the meeting. Safe Space[edit] Note: This section is experimental. We discussed it at Meeting_Notes_2016_06_28. We're going to try it for the next meeting, and see how it goes, and then discuss in the discussion section how it went, and how we'd like to tweak it. Noisebridge is a safe space. Invite a volunteer to describe what that means. Some specific points you might prompt the group to touch on, if it doesn't happen naturally: What to do if you feel uncomfortable. Noisebridge strives to be radically inclusive. What does that mean? Noisebridge has an antiharassment policy. What does that mean?

alice - affiliated with sudo room (omni commons), they just moved and they bought the building. Someone who spearheaded that would be happy to talk to people at NB about experience of fundraising and buying a property. Matt - come to critical mass friday.

Participation[edit] Invite a knowledgable volunteer to describe who can participate at Noisebridge, including: Describe how to get an rfid key for the door system Describe how to get access to slack Philanthropists[edit] Invite a knowledgeable volunteer to describe Philantropy, and the application process. Read off any names from the binder for the past month. Any applicants must have their sponsor present to vouch for them. If there are no objections, they're a philanthropist! Their pledge should be handed over to the Secretary posthaste, after which their token will be updated to give them the 24/7 access they've earned(?) Membership Binder [edit] Invite a knowledgeable volunteer to describe membership, and the application process. Being a member of Noisebridge is not like being a member of a gym or your local chess club. Anyone can come to Noisebridge to hack and learn: you don't need to be a member for that. At Noisebridge, membership is something different: it means taking responsibility and committing to help to maintain, improve, and govern Noisebridge. As a member of Noisebridge, you don't just come here to hack and learn, you actively work to improve what you see around you, help to deal with problems, and make this community and space better than it is today. Read off any names from the binder for the past month. Mark down a check or other indicator on every open application to keep track of how many weeks they've been read out. Anyone eligible to join this week should introduce themselves, answer any questions members may have for them, then leave the area in search of gifts (traditionally beer and a lime, or cookies) for the rest of the group. The rest of the meeting should reach consensus on whether they may join. Remember to applaud new members when they return.

Financial Report[edit] Funds in bank: Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of http://noisetor.net/finances/#summary): Any other details by those participating in handling our financials The latest financial reports from the treasurer are available at https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Finances Consensus[edit] Invite a knowledgeable volunteer to give a brief primer on consensus process It is important that everyone in attendance understands at least: blocking with verbalized principled objections. why we use consensus over other approaches to decision making. how consensus isn't a legislative process why consensus isn't applicable to some things like conflict resolution, resolution of time sinks, and the like. Proposals from last week [edit] (Add any items which are consensed upon or someone has raised a principle objection for to the Consensus Items History page.) Proposals for next week [edit] (Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.) Discussion[edit] Longer discussion items belong here. This is the last part of the meeting so that people can break off and continue their discussion afterwards.

Discussing

  • alice - how to best do sudo room person presentation

- Make sure we can get relevant people at the meeting. how to best do timing. -tyler - sometimes polls on discuss can be really helpful. Maybe nicole would be essential. maybe lady red, ryan, victoria. - matt - many financial/fundraising meetings use google hangouts and we could try to record it so anyone could catch it.


  • tyler - new space discussion

- seen lots of spaces, 17th and guerrero site looks great 668 guerrero, bigger, ground level access, needs some work. awesome space, more expensive, starts 10000. four year lease with step up of 1000 per year. can lock in purchase price, of 4 million. we would have early access as soon as we sign a lease. Just got terms agreed and we should get moving on it if we're going to do it. Not sure of alternatives. possible to stay, but it seems tenuous. trent has been main contact with landlord. Understand more about code violation we should look into it. - need to respond to guerrero. and decide on future space pretty soon. - We'd need permits for lots of stuff. - repairs and electrician stuff and other infrastrure will take lots of time and cost and we should plan it - big increase in rent, can our balance handle it? - main finance person thinks it looks ok - could we charge for classes maybe as a revenue source? and talking about how that could be excellent and fit in norms.



  • Clarion alley and how they could collaborate with NB

- "grant writing" and fundraising strategy sharing. - artwork with fundraising for "auctions" and space "decor". - can have co-events type "things". - how can we "collab" more? - other groups have also wanted to collaborate

  • drawing group possibility

- discuss a great place to start discussion on a group - for recurring event use meetup, bernice is great for that. can also put on the wiki


Oliver - "And friends", innaugural event for artists and stuff, probably 100+ people. - events are lots of work, make sure it's adequately staffed or daytime noisebridgers get the results. - Can move lots of stuff aournd and restructure the space. - can contact organizers through email



  • laser status?

- temporarily down b/c someone removed a filter and it vents need to get cleaned.

Discussion Items[edit] If any important discussion happens, it should be happening after forward progress is made during consensus. End of Meeting[edit] Return the membership binder to its rightful location. Discuss any items for which there was not time during the meeting. Enjoy the company of your fellow hacker, robot, or robothacker. Note taker posts the notes[edit] Clean and tidy the meeting notes including removing all these really verbose instructions. Fill out the short summary at the top listing just announcements, consensus items, discussion topics, and names of new members and philanthropists. Copy paste the notes to the next meeting page. (They will become Last meeting at midnight.) Email the meeting summary to Noisebridge Discuss and Noisebridge Announce lists. CC on the email treasurer@noisebridge.net and secretary@noisebridge.net if there are new members and philanthropists. Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week. Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week. Fun things to do after[edit] Reprise of the Hackernationale. [This is anarchy - we do what the wiki says!] PGP Key Signing could happen now (if it doesn't happen before any given Meeting). Ask others around the space or check the list to see who wants in on the action.