Meeting Notes 2021 07 20
These are the notes from the The 637th Meeting of Noisebridge.
- Live notes
- Virtual Meeting (jitsi mic/cam off by default)
- One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.
- 1 Meeting Summary
- 2 Introductions
- 3 Short announcements and events
- 4 Excellence
- 5 Participation
- 6 Philanthropists
- 7 Membership Binder
- 8 Financial Report
- 9 Consensus
- 10 Discussion
- 11 End of Meeting
FIXME FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST TLDR what happened at the meeting:
- Fundraising Update
- New members:
- New philanthropists:
- Consensus Items:
- Discussion Items:
- Lynx, here for first time!
- Dave B he/him
- Michael, first time here, wood shop!
- Jackson, was at old space
- sophia - sewing and emmeline is taking tha tover and now sophia is behind our Twitter!
- Lizzard they/them - game dev and zines and also, getting noisebridge fully open!
- X - hacking village for defcon, 5mof every 3rd thursday
- Dave - just started coming last week, linux from scratch, tetris, brain computer interface!
- Danny - re-decentralizing the internet! playing around at noisebridge revamping membership system and putting QR stickers on everything in existence!
- from online!!!!!!!!
- Tiffany - webdev! Board election
- Augie - electronics circuits, checking the place out!
- MOre people walked in!
- Samson - guy with red hair who just got here! build prototypes
- Daniel - excited to be here and see your projects!
- Maggie - freshman in college and would like a tour!
- relay - free/open source stuff! and leftist politics! always happy to help noisebridge!
- manadream - music and video game stuff
- mark - he's here!
- daniela - just a friend
Short announcements and events
60-second description per item in bulletpoint.
- Dave B - weird annoucement - there is a big tall metal structure attached to the building, we need to find people to help and pick a day. (naomi will do the going out the window in a harness!)
- Sophia - emmeline and I moved the bolts of fabric to the back patio and we want to get rid of them. Bring to SCRAP! (Lizzard can do it if someone load the car tomorrow) (We have to call SCRAP first)
- X - Cart , put bolts of fabric on it. Defcon is coming up 5th to 8th of august
- 5MOF is third thursday in august
- hambridge for anyone interested in satellite radio
Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other.
(What does that mean? How does the Anti-Harassment Policy fit into this? Are we SURE we know what being Excellent is? This is an important and fundamental conversation at Noisebridge, so let's give it like 120 seconds.)
- dude explains being nice to each other and respect boundaries and stuff!
Everyone at Noisebridge is a participant at Noisebridge.
(What does that mean? How do you get a door key? Access to Slack, Discuss, etc?)
- everyone who comes to noisebridge can participate in things with few minor execptiopns, you don't have to pay, one exception is the laser cutter
- but we are supported by people who give us money! So please do!
- We don't have card system yet but we DO have a door key! you must a) be a philanthropist know how to do the Opening and Closing stuff for the space !
A Philanthropist at Noisebridge has earned enough trust from the community to open and close the space.
(What does that mean? What do we expect from Philanthropists? How do you become one? etc)
- fill out this form! get a member sponsor! be excellent etc!
Membership in Noisebridge entails community Trust in Consensus.
(What does that mean? What do we expect from Members? How do you become a Member? etc)l
- everything about philanthropy but also you can block consensus.
- livin' la vida noisebridge
- * Steve: the whole last few months TJ has done so much and he is member fucking ++
- * X - was showing up even from thousands of miles away and ran online classes and helped noisebridge have a pulse!!! 8 saturday buildouts!
- * relay - also sponsor!!! yay so awesome
- * Liz - Sophia has been super excellent and responsible in organizing things as well
(Some talk about JD and why they should be a member too, but they are not super interested in coming to meetings, etc... just doing work and letting that speak for itself.)
- Mana - They do cool things like organizing the music space and just generally helping about
- relay - re-upping philanthropy - no formal indoctrination needed
- Philanthropist - mcint (He was not around, but his application is in the binder)
- Note, Mark was already philanthropized in Sept. 2018. Last Thursday he joined the walkthrough for [Opening] and [Closing] the space. Also he made the Opening page. Thanks Mark! I gave him a key. - lizzard
NO OBJECTIONS - ALL 3 ARE PHILANTHROPISTS! (clapping)
Relay, JD, and Manadream are all philantrhopists
Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo.
- Funds in bank:
- Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of http://noisetor.net/finances/#summary):
- Any other details by those participating in handling our financials
- The latest financial reports from the treasurer are available at https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Finances
Cash 313,122.82 Crypto 95,162.20 Total 408,285.02
How's it all going
"not" – Liz
Consensus is how the Noisebridge Membership may change how Noisebridge works.
(How does Consensus work? What types of things are good for formal Consensus? What is small-c consensus? What is a "block"?)
(Add any items which are consensed upon or someone has raised a principle objection for to the Consensus Items History page.)
(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.) X - for next week - an item - Revisting Noisebridge as a fiscal sponsor
- "Hambridge" wants to do deployments and things like this. X has already put in money themself, but would be interested in noisebridge sponsoring it for ~1y.
Liz - is this a 501(c) 3? are you making a nonprofit?
X - I would ideally create a new nonprofit entity and work with NB. not interested in tax writeoff, but organizational structure. They want someone to do the accounting.
Discussion Item 1
- Board election stuff! (Tiffany)
- * We want to do a new board election but aren't sure how to do it
- X this is in our bylaws , we have to look it up , we have a 60 day process from when we announce the election, goal is to do one by the end of september.
- Danny - we have to have an annual election. our board members generally agree not to do anything apart from abide by consensus. they do nothing except they are our interface with the state. the last time someone tried to do something on the board, the consensus had an uprising and deposed them. The board meets once and decides never to meet again other than to depose themselves. We get the old board to agree to disband. We can start the process in parallel. The election consistes of someone experimenting with a complex voting system, . The board also nominates the secretary, treasurer, and president.
- sophia - are we allowed to just nominate random people?
- danny - will look it up and see if we can bend the law to our own will. Part of why we have members at all is to vote on this process because the state needs someone to talk to (a board)
- X - we had an election in 2019. Lady red, Tiffany, Ruth, and Tim were the four appointed board members. We may need to touch up some paperwork, maybe we should get some 2020 pandemic guidance. How do you do an election when you can't really get everyone together.
- Danny - Tiffany does this mean you are on the board?
- Tyler - we needed 5 board members. Tyler is not sure if he is on the board or not.
- Danny - Tiffany can you find the rest of the board and get them to disband or meet or something?
- X - per the wiki, /board, tiffany/tim/ladyred/tyler/ruth was transitioning off.
"Discussion Item" 1.5
- membership binder - we forgot to do it!!
- we have membership applicaitons, please go back up to the membership section
- do we have philanthropist applicants?
Discussion Item 2
- (lizzard) The concept of Holding Space. How we can think about being good hosts!
We are trying to make noisebridge the space for the people still to come. Try to show new people the space, but give them space to be themselves and do the things they want to do.
In the physical space, I want to make some space for new people and their projects. Generally, clean up your shit and make room for others. (paraphrasing) We want to be good hosts by making physical and mental/emotional space for people w ho come in. Back off, don't be in their face.
- tyler - ideally, the tour should be like 5 mins, max
- X - a tip, consider one floor or the other
- Liz - one more thing - consider the dynamic that you might be in. Think of power/social dynamics when giving tours. Don't be overbearing basically. Make people feel welcome Leave the person alone a bit! Don't stare at them for an hour!
- Tyler - tailor your tours based on what people are interested in - if they are interested in 3d printer, don't corner them in the wood shop for 20 minutes!
Discussion Item 3
X - Should we have a cap of how many people in the space? What should the cap be?
- sugesting an upper limit, legal compliance - more than 49 people in the building, everything is a fine toothed comb
- Danny - Where does the 49 people come from?
- X - fire regulations. it goes by square footage Under 50 is legal but we ened to figure out square footage
- Lizzard - would anyone like to figure out the square feet?
- Tyler - I think it is 6000 square feet
- X - SF fire dept requires us to know
- Distance to exit is the big thing. number of exits and max distance to exit, according to their info
- TJ - 6057 square feet from the property record
Discussion Item 4
Defcon (X) - Happening Aug 5-8, 2021
- Danny - it's like Fast and Furious but with microcomputers
- Lynx - it's alike a hacker hackathon for hackers
- X - it's so amazing it's like drinking and big hotels on the vegas strip so X wants to simulcast some talks or have a hackathon satellite event. Car Hacking village and X wants to talk to some people Making the front porch a car hacking space for the duration of defcon Has a car to volunteer Is anyone interested?
- Steve - is defcon cancelled? what 's up?
- X - last year it was and it was a hybrid event
- X it is full defcon 29 and it is hybrid
- Lizzard - is anyone interested in the car hacking?
- lynx - can you connect power with a dashcam and solder into the side? What's goin on there besides power?
- relay - nothing really
- Dave - Sounds interseting, want to see what's going on
- OBD2 you can plug a dongle in and get sensors, etc, cheet on emission tests etc
- X - there's also crypto and bio hacking, packet, security, ocean, password etc
End of Meeting
Note taker posts the notes
- Clean and tidy the meeting notes including removing all these really verbose instructions.
- Fill out the short summary at the top listing just announcements, consensus items, discussion topics, and names of new members and philanthropists.
- Copy paste the notes to the next meeting page. (They will become Last meeting at midnight.)
- Email the meeting summary to Noisebridge Discuss and Noisebridge Announce lists.
- CC on the email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com if there are new members and philanthropists.
- Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week.
- Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week.
Fun things to do after
- Reprise of the Hackernationale. [This is anarchy - we do what the wiki says!]
- PGP Key Signing could happen now (if it doesn't happen before any given Meeting). Ask others around the space or check the list to see who wants in on the action.