Meeting Notes 2021 08 03
These are the notes from the The 639th Meeting of Noisebridge.
- Live notes
- Virtual Meeting (jitsi mic/cam off by default)
Note-taker: Jared Garst
- 1 Meeting Summary
- 2 Introductions
- 3 Short announcements and events
- 4 Excellence
- 5 Participation
- 6 Philanthropists
- 7 Membership Binder
- 8 Financial Report
- 9 Consensus
- 10 Discussion
- 11 End of Meeting
- Membership for TJ
- Danny nominated to run board elections on Oct 31st
- Discussion of junk management
- Discussion of classrooms
- Discussion of job boards
- Discussion of solarpunk, the evils of Nestle
- Relay he/him -- loves free and open source stuff
- Paul he/him-- Loves internet decentralized protocols
- Coyote -- a slinky coyote
- Steve -- does physics, software development, creative coding
- Dave -- electronics code
- Other Dave -- code stuff
- Danny -- redecentralizing the internet
- Jared G - run nominally affiliated noisebridge office hours on monday!
- TJ - do mostly robotics and coming back after brief hiatus
- Lizzard (they/them)-- does noisebridge organizing, likes zines, game development and writing
- Online people!
- Tyler -- Finance stuff, software and open source
- Andrew -- new here, figuring out the space
- Tiffany (she/her) -- sewing and art
- n00b - no comment
- evildan - lurking
- Cat (she/her)- software, robotics, machine learning, gardening, teaching
- sophia has entered the chat :she/her : hacks on things!
Short announcements and events
60-second description per item in bulletpoint.
- dave b - RFID on the front door works
- fuscia needs to be stolen, because google doesn't deserve it, talk to Danny
- lizzard - if you want to learn about mediawiki and noisebridge wiki and all that, wikimedia commons, I will make time to show you !
- bernice - I am the department-head of the independent videogame exhibit for a convention called MAGWest in November (magwest.org). If you or someone you know are an indie videogame developers, please contact me if you want to exhibit your game = email@example.com
Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other.
(What does that mean? How does the Anti-Harassment Policy fit into this? Are we SURE we know what being Excellent is? This is an important and fundamental conversation at Noisebridge, so let's give it like 120 seconds.)
- dave b - treat people like you want to be treated etc
Everyone at Noisebridge is a participant at Noisebridge.
(What does that mean? How do you get a door key? Access to Slack, Discuss, etc?)
- We have an Opening and Closing routine you can learn from this wiki and get a tour from anyone who knows!
- Then apply to become a Philanthropist (see below) and get a KEY!!!!
- Use Discord, Discuss and Slack to talk with the community and become excellent.
A Philanthropist at Noisebridge has earned enough trust from the community to open and close the space.
(What does that mean? What do we expect from Philanthropists? How do you become one? etc)
- Someone who contributes to the space, often through monthly dues, and is recommended by Members to have more responsibility in the space. These responsibilities include keys, opening and closing.
- Dave Lu is aplying for philanthropist and used to live in co-ops
DAVE IS NOW A PHILANTHROPIST!
Membership in Noisebridge entails community Trust in Consensus.
(What does that mean? What do we expect from Members? How do you become a Member? etc)
- Members can block consensus, are responsible for the space but more so.
- TJ is up for membership in the binder
- record scratch, call me TJ. will start robotics club, and do circuit hacking!
- started the buildout! oh yeah! and ran a robotics class online!
- question for tj when wiuld you block? - if they felt that a large amount of the non members dont support the thing.
- what is your fave color. RED
- What does anarchy mean to you - general hazing question. Anarchy for this space means the absense of a central power or central group of people anyone can be involved and help out tot heir capacity and in that sense that's the anarchy that really shines at noisebridge. do stuff, lead classes, etc. someone led a class last sunday!
- steve has an observation to counter that in full reality throughout the space's history who are basically deciding what's going on. this is a neutral statement
- Guards! seize him!!!
- what you're saying is true there are people who are more involved than others. they have the idea like in greater anarchist socieety there are people who care about how cars are made. it wouldn't make sense for everyone to have a say. if you are more interested and have more experience then by effect of having more interest would do more. other people can come in !
- most of your contributions are organizational, you help people show up and participate. Are you expecting to continue this organizational work?
- tj - some, but we have more people now so i don't have to take on that role. I do want to start a robotics club.
- TJ leaves. Secret Discussion
- Approved! One of us! One of us!
Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo.
- Funds in bank:
- Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of http://noisetor.net/finances/#summary):
- Any other details by those participating in handling our financials
- The latest financial reports from the treasurer are available at https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Finances
How's it all going Cash: 305,758 Crypto: 122,769 Total: 428,527
July Income: $5,130
New payments: - 4 new donors, $171 / mo in new contributions - up around 600 bucks from last month! 4 new monthly contributors.
also on the finance-wg slack channel
Consensus is how the Noisebridge Membership may change how Noisebridge works.
(How does Consensus work? What types of things are good for formal Consensus? What is small-c consensus? What is a "block"?)
(Add any items which are consensed upon or someone has raised a principle objection for to the Consensus Items History page.)
(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)
Discussion Item 1
- Should we raise the cost of philanthropy?
- Lizzard: people tend to contribute more when they can, and I would rather not scare people off.
- High dollar per month donations dominate the money we make, raising the floor is not woth it - tyler: we also actually survive on our ongoing 5 buck per month stuff because people set and forget it like a gym
Discussion Item 2
- solarpunk! Relay. the system is sort of depressing and saying fuck the system is one thing but the most punk thing is to drive towards the future! it would be cool to work with other groups to work with dual power structure for a civilization that can survive the upcoming climate apocalypes. those of us with money contribute to our 401K and yet our stocks may n ot dio anything , social security might not be useful, jobs are automated, it's up to us to try to build a civilization!
- Relay is a fabulous demogogue!!
- We have tools! we can teach skills! distributed technology ! hard to suppress from corporate forces! privacy tools to protect us from the panopticon staring at all of us!! We can play games, or we can take agency and try to build a future for myself
Discussion Item 3
- daveb - discussion of where stuff are laid out, classrooms!
- Daveb - Before covid, we had 20 periodic events, sometimes as many as 3 on the same night. We don't have spaces that can support classes, like church used to be.
- Steve - I think the music room should be outfitted to be dual purposes, supporting classes and coworking as well. The sewing room isn't a good fit for this.
- Relay - At the recent blender class, we used the lounge, because it has couches and ventilation. We used the TV with hdmi, about 7 people attended which was a little crowded.
- Bernice - Gamebridge used church, along with all the other classes. We should also think about hybrid classes, which are both in person and online.
- TJ - are there limits on the number of classes we can have?
- Daveb - classes need a dedicated wall, or a pull down projection screen, or a whiteboard on wheels. I want to have enough space reserved ahead of time.
- Lizzard - the space should be usable without having to move things, and welcoming. I also want the space to be usable for events.
- Relay - We could use the music room for classes now, if we set up ventilation for the space.
- Lizzard - Dan is working on ventilation for those areas.
- Lizzard - Classes could be held outside. All you need is a cheap projector.
- Daveb - These concerns are forward looking, based on current attendence.
- Coyote - clutter was a problem for the old space. We could have a dumping area, where everyone knows that stuff in that area needs to find an owner or it will be trashed.
- Bernice - We could provide pen and nametags to label projects, like you would label food in a refridgerator.
- Daveb - Maybe we need a `purge can`, where we can chuck stuff that is unloved
- Bernice - How will people know how to use the purge can
- Daveb - a large sign saying `purge can` will cause people to ask questions.
- Lizzard - public airing of items in the purge can will cause people to understand the function.
Discussion Item 5
- Tiffany - board elections. We could push them off to the end of the year.
- Lizzard - we need to pick a date to run board elections
- Lizzard - I volunteer Danny to run board elections
- Danny - how many days do we need before annoucement and elections?
- Tiffany - 30 days
- Danny - Then we can have them mid september?
- Lizzard - Maybe we should wait for more members?
- Danny - October 31st then. This meeting has been running for too long and people aren't laughing at my jokes
- Daveb - maybe we can make October 31st the tradition.
- Danny/Relay - We could combine it with Halloween and dress up while we do it.
Discussion Item 6
- coyote - as a new person no one knew what was going on or knew how to guide me to a place maybe a board saying what needs to be done, what space needs help. job board! chore board!
- There is an issue board on github
- github is not the right answer, we need a physical, particle board quest board that stands in the entrance. Could be a whiteboard or a chaulk board, but it definately needs to be handwritten.
- sophia - In may and early june there was a need for manual labor. That isn't true now. For example, the sewing room is in a good state. The thing we need now is skilled labor. We need people to fix machines and run classes.
- lizzard - We could have multiple boards, one per physical area of the space, just post something on the wall.
- tj - this didn't work while we were moving, but it might now. If anyone needs something to do now, they could declutter the space and build shelves.
- tiffany - post it notes are easier and are high reward. we should spend our extra energy trying to direct new people who are just entering the space
- We need a post it note protocol, that can include a task and name of the person who wants it.
- The name needs to be corny. Noisits or postbridge.
Discussion Item 7
- bernice - California is in a drought. Companies are hording water, espcially Nestle, fuck them. We could ask Costco and other companies to stop carrying their products. They might especially listen to us if we have Costco cards. Are there security or privacy concerns with sharing someone's costco membership?
- Dave - what if we filed support tickets at once. That doesn't require people to share their information, and would actually disrupt their processes.