Meeting Notes 2022 04 19

From Noisebridge
Revision as of 04:54, 20 April 2022 by Mcint (talk | contribs) (Created page with "{{meetings}} * Click [https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Meeting_Notes_Template&action=edit Edit] in the MediaWiki top bar and copy all the source code into the new...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Noisebridge | About | Visit | 272 | Manual | Contact | Guilds | Resources | Events | Projects | 5MoF | Meetings | Donate | E
Meetings | Template | Archive | Metaguild Archive | Current Consensus Items | Consensus History | Announcements | Facilitation | Note-taking | Edit
  • Click Edit in the MediaWiki top bar and copy all the source code into the new meeting notes page.
  • Delete this paragraph from the actual notes. (Keep in template, & in live copy for next iteration)

---

These are the notes from the The XXXth Meeting of Noisebridge.

Date: ADD THE DATE HERE in the format 2022_XX_XX as below

Edit the meeting number above where it says the XXXth meeting of Noisebridge (by checking previous meetings)

ALSO EDIT PREVIOUS AND NEXT DATES IN THE WIKI LINKS BELOW

Previous Meeting

Next Meeting

Note-takers: Claus, Farley

Moderators: Woz

  • One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.

Meeting Summary[edit]

FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST

TLDR what happened at the meeting:

  • Fundraising Update
  • Announcements:
  • Finances:
  • New members:
  • New philanthropists:
  • Consensus Items:
  • Discussion Items:

Introductions[edit]

  • Ask people to share their name, access needs, and preferred gender pronouns during their intro, i.e.:
  • Person1 - she/her - people please say names when speaking (i am low vision) - something i do
  • Person2 - they/them - no access needs - first time here, hello
  • and so on

Tj - Currently confronting a dog, its a very cute boy. Claus - Hacks on the space Les -NB any She/they and they are next in line to pet the dog. Daniel - Helps out with stuff Wants to get into bio-printing Elan (aka Allen aka the other TJ) - Wiki and NLP and tech stuff, also bike racks. I go places, and do that.


Excellence[edit]

Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other. Farley - Do your best to be nice to everyone, and take responsibility for the things you do in the space. Thats preety much it.


Short announcements and events[edit]

  • 60-second description per item in bulletpoint.
  • Copy-paste any pre-announcements for the upcoming meeting from Announcements.
  • After announcements, copy them to the past Announcements list. Retire any from the Next Meeting list that aren't marked ONGOING.

Farley - Idea to create participation in the space with reference images as to how it should be cleaned, and what it should look like. People don't know what thigns need to be cleaned. I am creating a page on the wiki, and cleaning parts of the space and add reference photos, as well as a slack channel called #contributions so that people submit images and get credit. Having reference photos how thigns should look and where things should be will help keep things organized. I'm spearheading that project, if you want to help out or discuss with me I'm super open to that.

Alex would like to help with wiki pages. T make it clear and help with Elan - I think thats a really good idea and for some of the more frequent messy areas. Woz - There is a discussion item later.


Ty pical Noisebridge technical difficulties ensued, We fixed it. TJ - Kudos to Farley for being the CMH teacher Relay - Book club reading is happening on Thursday. TJ - Sewing stuff, we have a ton of money dedicated to sewing projects. Alex - If you wanna embrodier they are very maintenace intensive, and maintain them. Lauren - 5MOF This thursday 7-8 PM. Come to give em, come to see em. (https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/events/285014426/) Woz - Thursday is gonna be a busy day. We do a space hack on the afternoons, If you wanna come and help out noisebridge, thats a good time. Alex - Put up leds Ronald - Set up a program for peridoic notifications on peoples old projects.

New members/philanthropists[edit]

Woz - Its my third week for membership Tj - Lauren is now a member Les - Should be a member. I have read the wiki, and I'm familiar with the general culture, I have been around the space since 2013. Loren - Who is sponsoring Woz and Les. Woz - alex and sophia? Tj maybe? Les is sponsered by Lauren and TJ

Moondog - What do you need to do a philantoropist Woz - Gave him the details Alex - The rate is the negotiable, you can talk to someone about it if there are issues.


Financial Report[edit]

Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo.

Claus - Put your money in the market. Woz - If you had stock in Netflix, I'm sorry. We have a bunch of money, but we are losing money at a defecit. Its important to get new members, and more money, hosting classes and other fundraising events.

Elan - Was able to add the earmarked donations to testing, and will be submitting a PR #soon

Spending Needs[edit]

Gotta spend money on XYZ (i.e. Gate, wiring etc.). WHO CAN SIGN THE CHECK OR LEND THE CREDIT CARD!?!?! It doesn't matter if we agree to do something and it can’t be paid for. Claus - Petty cash is great, go team.


Fundraising Update[edit]

How's it all going

Ronald - Is making it up as he goes, but it would be cool if we could see noisebridge finaical analytics, and one day we could be at a positive and we could use that. Woz - Are you talking about building tools? Loren - As we elect a new board today, we may have a better infrastructure in place. Woz - As far as new tooling around fundraising goes, one thing I would personally love to see is accessible list of whos actually paying dues, and their status. So anyone can validate that anyone is good. It would be nice to have a list. We can use nyms.

Big C Consensus Items[edit]

Nobody likes 3 hour meetings, only explain if people ask

Consensus Items [edit]

Only for talking about Big C consensus items, small c consensus items should be discussed with people at the space at the time of the change/new item.

Discussion[edit]

Discussion Item 1[edit]

* Board member elections!

* We currently have a way to vote in Slack, and paper ballots via putting in the donation box. @Claus brought up having a moderator in addition to these for those who wish to be anonymous. The moderator would not be a person in the running or voting, but is a fairly trusted member of the space. * I also would like the election period to be over a week, rather than over a single day. * I’d like to make sure everyone participating in the board elections has a way to participate to their liking by the end of the meeting / night, so we can get this done and move forward

Elan got a voting system up in Slack.

Claus: What were voting concerns

Loren: Objections were: didn't want it to be one evening, bc members might not attend it. Other things, but mainly: Slack allows anonymity. No Members on Slack, could reach out to... something to vote.

Claus: We could use a moderator. anonymity is impossible

TJ: What's the blocker


Elan - Liz mentioned it was difficult to track membership. Woz - even if you do pay on bitcoin, its not anonymous.

woz - In the event someone does block, then we validate the vote.

Elan - In the bylaws it says you need Quorom. So you do need the roles. As long as you have an order of magnitute.

Loren - we haven't decied a number for quoroum

Woz - addendum: give week to block people; at the end, we will gather and decide on the board meeting (consensus) ' Loren - Can you create a voting channel and add the members to it. Elan - Yes I can, but I'm not a member, so I won't be in that channel. Alex - I think liz did a reconstruction from notes.

Board elections are happening over the next week. Get your vote in.

Discussion Item 2[edit]

Cleaning and tagging

Farley mentioned a new cleaning system: post a picture + name + date for credit and for reference on what the area should look like. I agree with this, and also mark things you see unattended in the space with a date. If people see tags more than a couple days old, put it on a project shelf (don’t toss it or hack it, just help a forgetful Noisebridger put away their stuff). Farley will create and post QR codes in the relavent spaces with links to the reference photos for orginization and cleanliness. The photos will be posted in the wiki, anyone with admin access can change them.

alex - we were talking about this last week with food tags and theft. Stuff walks away, people take stuff. The stuff on the hack shelves fits under this umbrella. If its easy to print out and write a thing, tape and a date and a nym, beyond a certain date if its not attended to, it goes into the leaving the space category.

Woz - I really think that it is unexcellent to leave personal non community items in the space thats not in your locker, or project shelf. Its easy to mix things up. If everybody puts their stuff away, no one has to deal with it.

Farley - when I go to clean, I don't know what the standard is, but if there was one I would try and meet it.

Tj - For example there is this project *gesticulates to a pile of paints on the hackitorium table* I didn't touch it because I thought someone was doing a project over several days, but at a certain point this has been left there too long, might as well put it away. I want sticky notes that state "This was seen unanttended", and put it away after that time. Where is a good place to put stuff that has been left out

Loren - Someone has been putting up qr codes around the space, they are links to google docs of the QR code itself. I think we should start adding to those pages We can print out new versions of it and keep updating the page.

TJ - we had wiki pages Woz - When people are leaving something out, we need to see who was doing this last? Who had the paint out? That person needs to be held accountable.

Loren - Stuff to place room

Claus - I'll do it on stack Claus - We need a lost and found at Noisebridge. If we had a consolidated space, we could put projects in it and leave it.

Elan - Good idea to have "this is what clean looks like" images at each station, what shoudl be put where

Chris - When I work on projects, I usually end up don't hack, means of contact, date, and donated-after if I needed to give away something. It at least gives clarity of what people can do.

Farley - Order of operations with ref images; start small with bathrooms and work our way up to larger spaces, kitchen, print shop, hackitorium.

Mute check[edit]

lxpk - Cleanliness ties to food issue, and people sleeping there. Don't sleep there / leave food or messes. Couple stored a bunch of stuff

Woz: Time box

gaardn: Item that says "in 3 days, this thing will be going to [unclear]"

lxpk - I designed things for policy and awareness. Move one of the couches downstairs. Build lounge area in the front. I want to re-create the fox lounge, which will be inducive to hanging out and not sleeping.

Woz - One thing is that space in front is suited for big, dirty projects. Totally fine with couches, etc. but we need the space to be movable.

lxpk - we need to mark space for welded

Woz - basically the entire space. Can be ok with 99% hangout space

gaardn - Laser should not be moving, discuss in #laser channel

lxpk - be done with laser group, not lightly or quickly

Discussion Item 3[edit]

The Noel situation

Claus - Needed community to set boundaries, not with him as an individual; should make a decision and be clear on what stands. he's been here for 3 weeks and many people find him obnoxious. THe reason I asked hime to leave because he brought stolen property at noisebridge. He left the bike here. Bay shore has not picked it up yet.

Woz- I only interacted with him for one or 2 days and I asked him to do some things like boiling apoxy and then he'd just do it somewhere else. He made a problem and did not solve it and leaft it to us and is not a good fit for the space.

Les:

   It is part of a patern that I recognize. Hed say things like that is a nice thinkpad and noted my discomfort and put his hands near my thinkpad as a stand alone event, but I don't think that alone is bad. Barring some level of remorse. it seems that he was willing to transgress boundaries. I'd like to reach out to victoria about this.
   
   ROnald
   Ddin't know so many people had problems with him. I could see grating personality, but I guess I don't think he's a bad person. If he's willing to do something about it. I wouldn't 86 him myself. Is helpful.
   
   Woz
   you said you didn't want to 86 him, woudl you block? (no)
   
   Farley
   Just I said this before in slack I told him to get off the tables and then jumped on it for no reason at all. THe table bowed under his wieght. I enjoyed his company and he broought some pizza which was nice. I think he has "authority issues".
   

alex:

   in 2020 he brought in a scooter from baywheels. THat scooter he was working on stayed on the floor of the electronics bench and I had to put it in a box and it bothered me that he left this hugh scooter in the workspace. I told him that I don't appreciate obstructing the space. I don't think that is an 86 level event.

Woz 86ing is not permanent. We are open to mediation (to a fault). there is this discussino if he is a "good guy". What matters is if you can work with the space. It is clear that he cna't work well with others in the space or be considerate. Regarding Victoria: Sometimes one person comes here alot. We should include other people in their group.

Claus: I err on the side of not stepping in on issues.

When people do things that are red flags and not letting you talk to their friend, that might be a red flag. People have to speak up for themselves here. You have to make it a point if you think there is an issue. Don't let someone bully you into doing something that you normally wouldn't do.

LXBK: it is ok that some people are averse to confrontation, but you can ask someone else to help you out if you feel the concern. If you are really mad then you might just want to deal with things.

TJ:

   one: We probably only have one person with reservations
   2 I think noisebridge requires a certain level of maturity

lxbk When I asked him about theft related stuff, I felt gasslighted about it. If that is to happen again they often don't have documentation. Please document in slack in the future just to make sure we can track.

Elan: I feel strongly about the theft and I was fumigating the first floor. This could open up noisebridge to legal liability. And if someone stops I think that is one thing. I think having noisebridge at legal risk is a danger that I don't want us to deal with.

Loren If you don't feel like being brave and coalition build to address the issue. We can talk things out hopefully.


I am easily one of the people that don't lead to long term problems. I noticed that he had a gaze. I told others that I don't feel comfortable with the gaze he was having.

Discussion Item 5[edit]

Laser cutter update

Claus THe laser cutting computer has windows on it and lightburnshould work on it.

Gaarden

alex. I'd like to be trained.

Gaarden. I'd be happy to train many poeple. CHeck out the lazer channel

WOZ I think there is a communicaiton issue. Can we have the laser meeting timse on the laser cutter. We need a qr code

LXBK I"ll put some documentation on it. We have a sewing night and we can have a fabrication night like sewing. We can have the first one be the training time. I"ll print the signage.

GAARDEN: I"ll configure and set up the software. then we'll train people and know

Chris: I bought a windows key and we can use it.


Discussion Item 6[edit]

* Over the past week, we have put a bunch of stuff taken out. I would make a motion to Craigslist everything, unless a Noisebridger is interested in taking it.

TJ we have 9 million network nodes and we can mark some stuff for clearing. Maybe I need to get some specifics. We have the obelisk from niomi or use it for something else. THe common network nodes. We also have too many CRT TV's

Discussion Item 7[edit]

Replacing the front door Loren - What's on the door is another attempt to automate it. There's an electrified thing which isn't hooked up. 6 mo. ago, people poured heart into it. We could replace or go further

Woz - You should check it out. I may not be smart enough

lxpk - It's functionally not an access control system because it was left open all the time. Accessibilty issue because we fight to open, security issue becuase it is left open. Nobody would block funding for

Woz - might be $2k

lxpk - That is entirely necessary. It was an action item before the move. There was a price, it was already consensed.

Woz - let's do it then. Who wants to pilot it?

Elan - I was planning on calling to get quotes. Could tentatively come next week, focusing on stairlifts and elevators.

Woz - thanks so much Elan!

Discussion Item 8[edit]

Voting app

Ronald

it saves time and makes it less likely for someone to block. if they are new person it is a new person and presnet your ideans adn

Alex: Is this for offline meetings then? THat sounds nice. I don't think we have to do this for big c decisions.

it would be nice for some decisions not necessarily big c. I wish we had standard mechanism or medium of communication and some people aren't on slak or discuss. people don't hard block too often.

relay: let's use matrix

lxbk. I think there is a wiki page monitoring to update the slack channel and work with discord and .

I don't think we should make hard blocks with ???

Do-ocratic Task Board[edit]

Participation also means doing stuff to contribute to the space. Propose new tasks or pick some tasks from Github, from what needs to be done around you, or whatever, and see if someone will sign up to work on that task. Anyone can sign up and it's a great way to show you are contributing!


Noel: Some of these things were not completely one sided and not just be mad. It is not one sided And I hope people heard my side of things. I'm willing to work with you guys and recovering from a range of things. I can be contacted. Some of the ways that these are approached. I don't like conflict at all. this is really unfortunate. I did wrong things maybe, but I might have lost iterest. I think this is a loss for everyone.

Mediation?

The bike has been here for weeks

Alot of people have complaints If you want mediation. Someone will be assigned as meditor and that person will be unbiased and independant.

I don't understand the issue with "gaslighting" and the decision has already been made,

THere is the option for mediation.

Ronald We just hope you are willing to work with us. this is not necessarily a hard 86 and could work out well if you want to cooperate with us.

It would be great for you to call bayshore to get rid of the bike.

I'm not responsible for the bike someone else took the battery out and left it for a week. Why should I appologize. I speak four languages and I don't understand why. I'm starting a new job in robotics and Klous knows who took the battery out. I had fun making lights blink and work with motors. Go ahead and 86 me do it. it is so perplexing.

We decid

End of Meeting[edit]

Note taker posts the notes[edit]

  • Clean and tidy the meeting notes including removing all these really verbose instructions.
  • Fill out the short summary at the top listing just announcements, consensus items, discussion topics, and names of new members and philanthropists.
  • Copy paste the notes to the next meeting page. (They will become Last meeting at midnight.)
  • Email the meeting summary to Noisebridge Discuss and Noisebridge Announce lists.
  • CC on the email treasurer@noisebridge.net and secretary@noisebridge.net if there are new members and philanthropists.
  • Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week.
  • Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week.

Fun things to do after[edit]

  • Do a 10 minute cleanup, bring dishes up stairs and wash them, clean the bathroom
  • Have some beers on the patio
  • Prepare the next weeks' meeting notes
  • Lick the walls. Or just draw on them
  • sing the Hackernationale (this almost never happens)