Meeting Notes 2022 10 18
|Noisebridge | About | Visit | 272 | Manual | Contact | Guilds | Resources | Events | Projects | 5MoF | Meetings | Donate | (Edit)|
|Meetings | Template | Archive | Metaguild Archive | Current Consensus Items | Consensus History | Announcements | Facilitation | Note-taking | Edit|
- Click Edit in the MediaWiki top bar and copy all the source code into the new meeting notes page.
- Delete this paragraph from the actual notes. (Keep in template, & in live copy for next iteration)
These are the notes from the The 696th Meeting of Noisebridge.
- Live notes
- Virtual Meeting (jitsi mic/cam off by default)
Edit the meeting number above where it says the XXXth meeting of Noisebridge (by checking previous meetings)
ALSO EDIT PREVIOUS AND NEXT DATES IN THE WIKI LINKS BELOW
NOTE: Consider turning off fridge for the duration of the meeting. It is very loud and sometimes prevents people on video conference from hearing those in the space.
- One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.
FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST
TLDR what happened at the meeting:
- Fundraising Update
- New members:
- New philanthropists:
- Consensus Items:
- Discussion Items:
- Ask people to share their name, access needs, and preferred gender pronouns during their intro, i.e.:
- Elan - AI/Wiki
- Alina - Sewing, been
- Moof (they/them) - Music stuff, Sunday Streets,
- Matt - Robotics hardware/software
- Miles - MechE
- Jordaine - Explore Hardware
- Adam - 3D Printing, flight simiuluation gauges
- LX - Gamebridge, with mark, wiki and event support, sinage, sunday streets etc...
- Shubum - create web apps, hosting a hackathon at noisebridge,
- Alex - hosting a workshop, security research, cybersecurity content creator, hardware creator, wifi hacking, SigInt
- TJ - AI Meetup, is eating dinner (yoghurt + frozen fruit)
- HB - Longtime member, server infra, VPS+Tor+IRC, hardware
- Cloud - previous coffee supplier, Sunday Streets
- Dana - Circuit Hacking Monday, space improvements, internet of doorbell
- JD - teachs laser class sundays and shop safety training
- Loren - helping treasury. Server things. Noisecurtain.
Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other.
(What does that mean? Everyone is expected to follow the Anti-Harassment Policy, please familiarize yourself with it.) TWO MINUTES MAX "excellence is treating noisebridge not just as a tool, or resource, but as a community. Thus, it is ensuring that the people who come to noisebridge can continue to come to noisebridge"
Short announcements and events
- 60-second description per item in bulletpoint.
- Copy-paste any pre-announcements for the upcoming meeting from Announcements.
- After announcements, copy them to the past Announcements list. Retire any from the Next Meeting list that aren't marked ONGOING.
- Wiki Meetup is happening this weekend! Saturday
- PanGalacticBG hosting a musical fundraiser 7pmn this Sat evening!
- Halloween Hack Night next monday 24th - 7pm / Hackitorium. We need Noisebridgers to work on things and offer support! https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Hacking_Halloween
- 5MoF - technically this thursday
- CodeDay Nov 19th Saturday
- Oldbridge - Old Noisebridgers come to the space on Friday, Oct 21
- What are guilds - briefly describe (much like the previous section on "Excellence")
Guilds are groups of people, maintaining maintainers.
CNC guild (new)
JD - has a couple cohorts to establish a CNC guild to document the tools available to Noisebridge. Have a couple of new pieces of equipment coming in. - Ryan - Momo/Mohamed Modeled off of sewing guild - will either be wens or thurs nights. Need to put this up on main page.
Unreal Engigne Guild (new)
Subset of gaming guild - have a high quality instructor (NullPtrSf) interested in teaching unreal engine. Probably will be Monday nights.
Equipment for Unreal class? Options: VR cart machine, another machine is near front door. #games LX and JellyDonut should sync up.
Have weekly wednesday meetups. Working on setting up GPU server.
New Members/Associate Members
What are they? Is anyone trying to become a Member or Associate Member? If not move on. No long discussions.
Moof is applying for full Membership (elan).
Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo.
- Funds in bank: Checking 133013 Saving 140352 Coinbase ---- Cashflow: -$5k/month
- Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of http://noisetor.net/finances/#summary):
- Any other details by those participating in handling our financials
- The latest financial reports from the treasurer are available at https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Finances
Donations: ~$6k / month AI(): Need to increase # of donations, esp emphasising this during classes
Gotta spend money on XYZ (i.e. Gate, wiring etc.). WHO CAN SIGN THE CHECK OR LEND THE CREDIT CARD!?!?! It doesn't matter if we agree to do something and it can’t be paid for.
How's it all going
Charity show - sat 22nd 7pm
Big C Consensus Items
Nobody likes 3 hour meetings, only explain if people ask. https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Current_Consensus_Items
Only for talking about Big C consensus items, small c consensus items should be discussed with people at the space at the time of the change/new item.
Hackathon to introduce students to coding who wouldn't be exposed to it otherwise. Try to present it in a fun way ()
Number of people ~40.
A no-turn away policy due to lack of funds.
Waivers: would need to be by parents. Typically only sought after life insurance.
Adam: How many instructors?
At least 1 chaperone, 2 members (Arity + Chris)
TJ: We should lock down current volunteers.
Schrub: Will setup a slack channel to discuss liability +
JD: Should put up posters/fliers a week before to let people know.
Making gaming lounge playable
Needs volunteers to cleanup.
What platforms does Noisebridge have a presence on?
Who has access?
Who should have access?
What sort of things should Noisebridge be sharing to social media? Class/event announcements? Wisdom of the crowd? Odes to hacker culture? Note: as a nonprofit there are some topics that can get NB into legal issues (e.g. advocating for your favorite non-fascist candidate).
Separate social media breakout discussion group: https://pad.riseup.net/p/nbsocial Discussions items:
- Who would be willing to do what - Mastodon, Twitter? - What is the goal
- Getting attention
Loren: want to have offline discussion LX: We should build a wall. Multilayer
This is something Noisebridge is on the internet-of-thing.
Do-ocratic Task Board
Participation also means doing stuff to contribute to the space. Propose new tasks or pick some tasks from Github, from what needs to be done around you, or whatever, and see if someone will sign up to work on that task. Anyone can sign up and it's a great way to show you are contributing!
Cleanup of game space. Need a LCD TV for non-CRT games
End of Meeting
Note taker posts the notes
- Clean and tidy the meeting notes including removing all these really verbose instructions.
- Fill out the short summary at the top listing just announcements, consensus items, discussion topics, and names of new members and philanthropists.
- Copy paste the notes to the next meeting page. (They will become Last meeting at midnight.)
- Email the meeting summary to Noisebridge Discuss and Noisebridge Announce lists.
- CC on the email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org if there are new members and philanthropists.
- Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week.
- Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week.
Fun things to do after
- Do a 10 minute cleanup, bring dishes up stairs and wash them, clean the bathroom
- Have some beers on the patio
- Prepare the next weeks' meeting notes
- Lick the walls. Or just draw on them
- sing the Hackernationale (this almost never happens)