Meeting Notes 2023 05 23

From Noisebridge
Revision as of 13:37, 24 May 2023 by Mcint (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Noisebridge | About | Visit | 272 | Manual | Contact | Guilds | Resources | Events | Projects | 5MoF | Meetings | Donate | (Edit)
Meetings | Process Meeting Template | Discussion Meeting Template | Archive | Metaguild Archive | Current Consensus Items | Consensus History | Announcements | Facilitation | Note-taking | (Edit)

These are the notes from the The 725th Meeting of Noisebridge.

Date: 2023_05_23

Previous Meeting

Next Meeting

Note-takers: Loren, TJ!

Moderators: Farley

NOTE: Consider turning off fridge for the duration of the meeting. It is very loud and sometimes prevents people on video conference from hearing those in the space.

Meeting Summary[edit]

Great attendance.

  • Consensus
    • AHP consensus. Wk #1 of 2
    • Blocks require 2 members if proposed by a member. Wk #1 of 2
  • Wanted: ventilation for 3d printers. Maybe combine with 3d printer. Reed interested.

TLDR what happened at the meeting:

  • Fundraising Update:
    • Grant writing suggestion / offer, Sebastian, to Botvin Foundation, for arts spaces.
  • Announcements: -
  • Finances: - (see 1st meeting of month)
  • New members: JD, 2nd meeting
  • New philanthropists: Ari sponsored by TJ.
  • Consensus Items:
    • AHP consensus. Wk #1 of 2
    • Blocks require 2 members if proposed by a member. Wk #1 of 2
  • Discussion Items:
    • Wanted: ventilation for 3d printers. Maybe combine with 3d printer. Reed interested.

Introductions[edit]

  • Farley - web dev, hack on various things. member, year and a half
  • Ari - they/them - 9 months - game dev, ai work, art - all mixed together
  • loren, he him, coming since pandemic, focusing on rack and treasury stuff, wants to learn cnc stuff.
  • Gwen - not much into tech, help when, what ever way I can
  • Lauren - she/her
  • Yasir - moved here 2 mo ago, looking for places, engineering background, looking here seeing how it goes
  • Max - he/him - woodshop, 3d printers
  • Reed - he/him - around 1 week. messing with 3d printers. Game developer
  • Sergio - working on prototypes, musical market
  • JD - he/him - laser training, power tool safety training
  • Steve - he/him, member, theoretical physics, math, graphics, data sci, ai, music
  • Collin - use laser cutter sometimes
  • Sam G - teach cnc, unreal engine, metalshop #fabrication channel
  • Emerson - glad i found the place, first time here. Do programming, speech processing, robotics, game exploration stuff
  • Michelle - sewing room, collaborative projects involving ai, robotics, & quilting
  • Ben - learning to use CNC, use laser cutter, all sorts of stuff
  • Sophia
  • Sebastian - (grant writing)

Short announcements and events[edit]

Excellence[edit]

Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other.

(What does that mean? Please see our page on excellence https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Excellence!

Everyone is expected to follow the Anti-Harassment Policy, please familiarize yourself with it.) TWO MINUTES MAX

Guilds[edit]

  • Laser - filters are on the way. Shipping to JDs house. Will be replaced shortly.

New Members/Associate Members[edit]

What are they? Is anyone trying to become a Member or Associate Member? If not move on. No long discussions.

  • Ari - apply associate with tj as sponsor
  • JD - Member, 2nd week.

Spending Needs[edit]

Gotta spend money on XYZ (i.e. Gate, wiring etc.). WHO CAN SIGN THE CHECK OR LEND THE CREDIT CARD!?!?! It doesn't matter if we agree to do something and it can’t be paid for.

Fundraising Update[edit]

How's it all going

Instruments upstairs, operations cost, maintenance, etc. foundations give money to non-profits. My job Botvin Foundation

Big C Consensus Items[edit]

Nobody likes 3 hour meetings, only explain if people ask. https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Current_Consensus_Items

Consensus Items [edit]

Only for talking about Big C consensus items, small c consensus items should be discussed with people at the space at the time of the change/new item.

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Current_Consensus_Items

Item 1: Stricter definition of block[edit]

Farley is proposing increasing the number of members needed to block to 2 members. https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Draft_Consensus_Items provisionally for 3 months. with caveat that 1 member is required to block application for new membership requested by loren. and that 1 member only be required to block consensus items proposed by non members.

JD: Should have good faith attempt at compromise before putting a hold on it Needs some tweaking to terminology: block. But we could have a separate hold, don't want something brought in that's not unanimously proposed on

Farley: Should be held for extra week in addition to two weeks of discussion?

JD: Yes. 1 person can only effectively put hold on process. Add another week just to give members time. Only need to extend for major changes

Farley: For putting on hold for 1 week, hate to turn into infinite holds.

Loren: If two people disagree, then it's blocked. Base proposal is 1 person can't block, everything else is nice to have

JD: "Consent should not be unreasonably withheld" Can't block without a valid reason. Need to articulate reason for block

Farley: We should not have ability to block / hold past 1 week

Loren: Feels weird to say "we don't like reasons, therefore not arguing in good faith"

JD: Need to have an articulate reason. Goes with good faith effort to compromise

Farley: Anything else?

Loren: Make sure wiki has that.

JD: Worried about taking too long. We don't need to be in a hurry. The more time we have to discuss and have everyone comfortable with what's happening.

Farley: There's critical mass behind a decision that doesn't last forever.

JD: What if they're not agreeing with you

Farley: Favor easily amendible policy over initially correct policy.

JD: Could you post wording, link to wording to #weekly-meeting-text in Discord?

Farley: Will do.

Farley will update consensus item text to reflect other suggestions during the meeting, from JD and other updates he articulated.

Item 2: DHCP / Anti Harrassment Policy Update =[edit]

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14BlMYh-i1CbzUGj_AaqaF-YI2sL4WNokhJxEbev0G-U/edit

JD read discussion to the meeting.

Why did this come up now?

  • Some recent long lagging Ask to leave and 86 / Ban instances took longer to come together and act.
  • Comments of getting talked over, women at noisebridge.
  • JD previous policy was written in 2013. Does not reflect 2020s workplace policies. Hostile environment.
    • Sophia: change the culture?
    • JD make it easier to get new people to inspect that.
    • Comment from SG in the jitsi: I think the comparison to workplaces is relevant because it's a place where the government has offered protections enshrined in law. If we're trying to build something better in here than what's out there we should endeavor to beat that as a standard.

CONSENSED!the conversation was continued after the meeting was adjourned, and there was Consensus about the Anti Harassment Policy, but the Community Standards were determined to be a living thing in need of adjustment but not requiring big C Consensus. The current wording will be reviewed, and updated continuously over time.

Discussion[edit]

Discussion Item 1[edit]

Reed - ventillating 3d printer room - or moving to landing at top of stairs, for better ventillation.

Reed - all 3D printers + UV/resin curing station (isopropyll alcohol) give off toxic fumes. Not well ventilated space, even when doors open, it's not well ventilated. Concerning from a health standpoint.

One solution : Ventilation system with tubes + cabinets

Another : Moving printers to somewhere near window, augmented by cabinet / fan . I haven't done HVAC before. What do people think?

Farley: What about moving to back windows.

Reed : Don't want people walking by fumes all the time. Cabinet or hood or something like that, if issue is direct sunlight.

Farley : Cabinet that is closed off

HVAC is closed Action Item : Vent out towards the front via roll up door

Kudos/To-dos[edit]

Farley : Kudos to painted bathroom downstairs (John did that)

Todo/ some painting with John.

Michelle : Kudos to Ken fixing up the sewing room. JD fixed the snaps on my backpack, very nice Noisebridge experience

TJ Kudos to Loren, JD, Elan, Farley - for making a full document for this.

AHP discussion continuation[edit]

Sophia - JD.

Weird and unclear separation between etiquette points, and anti-hararssment policy. We should be clear — if someone is really annoying all the time, they will be banned.

Why be wishy washy about adult content on devices. Pulled back a notch from

Listing standards of etiquette, "community standards".

Reality is what we decide at the meetings.


End of Meeting[edit]