Meeting Notes 2023 08 22

From Noisebridge
Revision as of 21:35, 22 August 2023 by Mcint (talk | contribs) (Created page with "{{meetings}} These are the notes from the [https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Meeting_Notes The 737th Meeting of Noisebridge]. Date: 2023_08_22 Previous Meeting Next Meeting Note-takers: Mark, Loren Moderators: Loren, Mark * '''New AV Guild, more Club Mate, Membership clarification consensus item, discussion of good standing, note Anti-Harassment Policy, Accessibility aims''' == Meeting Summary ==...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Noisebridge | About | Visit | 272 | Manual | Contact | Guilds | Resources | Events | Projects | 5MoF | Meetings | Donate | (Edit)
Meetings | Process Meeting Template | Discussion Meeting Template | Archive | Metaguild Archive | Current Consensus Items | Consensus History | Announcements | Facilitation | Note-taking | (Edit)


These are the notes from the The 737th Meeting of Noisebridge.

Date: 2023_08_22

Previous Meeting

Next Meeting

Note-takers: Mark, Loren

Moderators: Loren, Mark

  • New AV Guild, more Club Mate, Membership clarification consensus item, discussion of good standing, note Anti-Harassment Policy, Accessibility aims

Meeting Summary[edit | edit source]

FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST/SLACK/DISCORD Include: TLDR what happened at the meeting:

  • Fundraising Update: maker faire opportunity
  • Announcements: We're in Maker Faire
  • Finances: July, net -$5k, $13k in, $8k out.
  • New members: -
  • New associates: -
  • Consensus Items:
    • Membership clarification
  • Discussion Items:
    • GPU theft again, last night. CNC computer. Ideas for locking up.
    • Member in good standing, or de-memberizing process. Seems like access control might be a specific limited relevant scope.
    • Wiki Anti-Harassment Policy - old one visible on page now too.
    • Accessibility - 3d printing & sewing more available downstairs. Elevator & building status. Gaming area improvement.

Introductions[edit | edit source]

  • Mark - I do video game stuff here, and everywhere else. And organizational stuff.
  • Gwen - organizaional project management stuff!
  • Zara - first time here, learning how to solder. Cool space
  • Ziyad - also first time here, security stuff
  • Loren - also do irganizational stuff here, services hosting/rack/infrastructure (meetup on Mondays!)
  • Ait - coming here for a while, since before the pandemic. 3d modelling, play music. From Syria.
  • Max - Rust UI, work in IoT
  • Yit (sp) - from Turkey. Work on cryptography things. Linux fan. Like hacking stuff.
  • Evan - just moved here to SF, in a crypto startup
  • Nina - web engineer for work, mostly interested in doing art stuff, ceramics, painting, wood, metal screen printing, etc!
  • Sam - teach CNC/Rowland use. Unreal engine.
  • Zach - Gamedev stuff - Godot Game Engine meetup! Work on IoT. I drive a Mustang BAM
  • JD - hacks on stuff, trains lasers and woodshop
  • Ryan/p[s]yconaut - I enjoy helping take care of NB, been around a while, working on getting FlaschenTaschen back up and running

Short announcements and events[edit | edit source]

Saturday night I'd like to host a concert livestream in the hackitorium from 7-10 PM! It's a VTuber concert (VShoujo)

Want to remind ppl WE GOT ACCEPTED INTO MAKERFAIRE! If you have a interactive project you think would be a good fit for our booth, please let us know in Discord (channel: makerfaire)

SHED (Secure-ish Hacker Entry Device) is being worked on, but still a little ways out. We do need a PI for it, if someone has a spare.

Excellence[edit | edit source]

Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other. (On first Tuesdays, seek a few definitions. Other Tuesday, give a 1-3 sentence summary.) Excellence is about respecting other users of Noisebridge and their ability to use it excellently (totally not a circular definition smh).

What does that mean? Please see our page on excellence https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Excellence!

Anti-Harassment Policy & Community Standards of Excellence[edit | edit source]

Noisebridge has an Anti-Harassment Policy https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Anti-Harassment_Policy Everyone is expected to follow the Anti-Harassment Policy, please familiarize yourself with it.) TWO MINUTES MAX More approachable & specific guidelines, https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Community_Standards

Guilds[edit | edit source]

  • What are guilds - briefly describe (much like the previous section on "Excellence")

AV Guild is RECRUITING. We need people who want to maintain our AV stuff all over the space!

New Members/Associate Members[edit | edit source]

What are they? Is anyone trying to become a Member or Associate Member? If not move on. No long discussions.

Financial Report (first Tuesday of month only)[edit | edit source]

Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo.

  • Monthly revenue, expenses. Big projects. Big fundraising events. Reserves in bank.
  • Any other details by those participating in handling our financials
  • The latest financial reports from the treasurer are available at https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Finances

July - 13730 in expenses, 8088 dollars in revenue

Spending Needs[edit | edit source]

Gotta spend money on XYZ (i.e. Gate, wiring etc.). WHO CAN SIGN THE CHECK OR LEND THE CREDIT CARD!?!?! It doesn't matter if we agree to do something and it can’t be paid for.

We need buy Club Mate!

Conference Mic possibly. (we have conference mics) AV Guild - lapel mics.


Fundraising Update[edit | edit source]

How's it all going

Take a look at meeting note from last week/week before.. we did some good brainstorming. Let's follow through on those ideas!

Noisebridge Cinema? Regular parties/fundrazers? Godwaffle Noise Pancakes?

Big C Consensus Items[edit | edit source]

Nobody likes 3 hour meetings, only explain if people ask. https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Current_Consensus_Items

Consensus Items [edit | edit source]

Only for talking about Big C consensus items, small c consensus items should be discussed with people at the space at the time of the change/new item.

Week 1 of: Updating & clarifying Membership process language.

"Proposal: 1. Amend the Feb 2022 Membership process Consensus item to say "oh shit" period is no longer necessary, and 2. Amend the Membership application form and associated documentation to state clearly that all sponsors must be Full Members in good standing. 3. Require to the best of our ability that during active application status, it be noted in each weekly meeting notes during review the prospective Member and their sponsor."

No One Blocks, Continues to Next week

Discussion[edit | edit source]

Discussion Item 1[edit | edit source]

GPU theft again. From the CNC computer. Can't keep replacing the GPU.

We can build a cage/secured case for the computer! We can lock the PCI card directly (let's start with that).

Discussion Item 2[edit | edit source]

What makes a "Member in good standing" / Ask to Leave / De-Member-izing.

Our defacto definition is: they're in our database, paying dues.

Loren: I've said in the past, I think this kind of feels like a target.

Pyconaut - the thing about being big M, the thing it grants you is blocking power. There have been times where we thought about demembering someone for abusing this power.

Loren: There are resources r.e. community standards that are things we have agreed on but generally not in favor of hard and fast "rules" and "processes" about this stuff. Are these standards inadequate?

Mark: I honestly believe they are.

TJ : Working group for mediators? #space-guardians guild?

Action Item : Create working group for space guardians

Discussion Item 3: Updating wiki anti-harassment policy[edit | edit source]

There's a community unfamiliar with anti-harassment/ safe-space policy. I wanted to reference Noisebridge's and noticed its has changed quite a bit.

I changed the wiki page to include reference to the old policy. Just looking for small C consensus on that to make sure it was good.

Discussion Item 4:[edit | edit source]

Accessibility.

Zack: Want to get to NB and access all the tools. I can't access a huge portion of the space (upstairs) cause i use a wheelchair. In the past, when selecting the Capp locations, there was a promise and discussion of an elevator / lift. I have a couple suggestions/workarounds/etc. would like to hear if there's been progress.

Pyconaut: Been awhile since I've talked about this. Here's an update:

   We did a lot of analysis of elevation options. Right now cheapest option is redesign front stairwell so instead of a narrow stairway w/ 180, make it wider and straight, but flip it around so it comes up from hackitorium, or make it have a 90 degree bend. Chairlifts would not fit current staircase. Could probably get the stair redo + chairlift for like $50k. The reason it stalled was because city agencies also massively stalled until last year. There's been a lot of interest in doing next steps for building improvement projects. We are looking into getting permits. Getting the bldg blueprints from the city so we can actually do the things. Talking with various archistects and construction people. Current main projects: ADA, Enclose the dang Shop, and Fix Electrical.
   

JD: clarify a couple things: city does not have blueprints of the bldg. We have blueprints though. We (me and my wife) have been working with the landlord on getting it all updated and accurate. Starightening out the stairs are going to be a major issue. Load bearing beams in the way and such. Height between floors is a bit too much for a basic household elevator. The proper elevator would cost 250k! :O The only feasible option we came to at that point is some kind of chairlift. Focusing on double duty - so that anything important upstairs can be replicated downstairs. Can post CAD files somewhere if you want them.

Zack: Heartening to here ppl are actually trying to do something. I'd like as much as possible for tonights convo to not be about structural changes... I am so burned out on doing personal advocacy for my own access to various spaces. It is so challenging. What I WOULD like to talk about: there are 2 things that really make up accessibility - one is structural physical objects, the other is the interactions in the space between people. Are those people able and willing to help out others in need? I want to focus on tangible stuff we can do today that don't cost any money at all.

Something for example I hope we can small C would be: I'd love if NB could commit to, for whatever the next fundraiser is, to saying explicitly that we are putting at least a portion of any raised money towards a more accessible space.

TJ: One of the big roadblocks, has deinfitely been the cost. We definitely ought to specifically fundraise towards this specific goal/project.

Action Item: Work on financial beauracracy side to set aside the funds.

Other ADA stuff:

   - Awareness of ADA issues (i.e. please open the garage door upon request / dont make disabled people have to negotiate to get in)
   - Downstairs equipment (sewing + 3d printing) 3d printing not in ADA accessible area. Having 1x good sewing machine and 1x good 3D printer in a easy to reach area for a wheelchair downstairs. (bonus points if its a Prusa :P)
   - Reappropriation of (part) gaming area (zack likes retro gaming a lot, but this is primo accessible space).

Robotics Announcements[edit | edit source]

We want to add a 22"x22"x17" box in the Electronics room, and clean out space in the room (that currently contains junk) for it. Does that sound good?

Box: https://www.amazon.com/QFAR-Deck-Outdoor-Storage-Waterproof/dp/B0BNVZRC6K/ref=sr_1_36?keywords=lockable%2Bstorage%2Bbox&qid=1692758793&sprefix=lockable%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-36&th=1