Meeting Notes 2023 10 03

From Noisebridge
Revision as of 19:30, 10 October 2023 by Mcint (talk | contribs) (Mcint moved page Meeting Notes 2023 10 10 to Meeting Notes 2023 10 03 without leaving a redirect: wrong date)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Noisebridge | About | Visit | 272 | Manual | Contact | Guilds | Resources | Events | Projects | 5MoF | Meetings | Donate | (Edit)
Meetings | Process Meeting Template | Discussion Meeting Template | Archive | Metaguild Archive | Current Consensus Items | Consensus History | Announcements | Facilitation | Note-taking | (Edit)
  • Click Edit in the MediaWiki top bar (or Edit without preview) and copy all the source code into the new meeting notes page.
  • Delete this paragraph from the actual notes. (Keep in template, & in live copy for next iteration)

---

These are the notes from the The 742th Meeting of Noisebridge.


Date: 2023_10_03

Previous Meeting

Next Meeting

Note-takers: Max

Moderators: Loren, TJ

  • One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.

Meeting Summary[edit | edit source]

FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST/SLACK/DISCORD Include: TLDR what happened at the meeting:

  • Fundraising Update:
  • Announcements:
  • Finances:
  • New members:
  • New associates:
  • Consensus Items:
  • Discussion Items:

Introductions[edit | edit source]

  • TJ - Robotics, AI stuff
  • Ben - CNC station, wooden toys, CNC litte projects
  • Wyatt - Makes video games, electronics, stuff like that
  • Sean - Sometimes Laser Cutting. Zines sometimes
  • Max - Woodshop Maintenance
  • Mark - Mostly Noisebridge Maintenance and video game deveopment
  • Psychonaut - NB Events and outreach, and VR stuff. AV guild too
  • Jack - Sewing
  • Loren - Infra meetup, getting more people to help with rack things
  • Zach - Game Dev stuff, Godot
  • Cloud - Lot of python stuff, how to get lucky scientifically, 5MOF
  • JD - Laser and make shit
  • Farley - Free code camp on Saturdays, study, Come hang out it's fun.


Short announcements and events[edit | edit source]

  • Pyconaut - NB is going to Maker Faire Bay Area! Oct 13-15 and possibly the following weekend the 20-22. If anyone has stuff to do, people will have a week to kill, so let's plan some stuff. Later tonight, I will post volunteer signups. I just got our main batch of tickets. I will announce more things during discussion. Will try to be here a lot this week. Maker_Faire_2023 https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Maker_Faire_2023 for more information
  • Max - Restart regular Saturday space maintainers meetup (/Sunday) . Let's talk towards the end of the meeting
  • TJ - Google Spaces open house next week, Tues Oct.10-11. Open house/open source collab. Might be a good thing for NB to get involved in. Maker collab spaces
  • Emeline - Bay Area Makerspace meetup is on Thursday at Sycamore (Bar). I do need people to tell me when they want to go. You have to register to go to the google space.
  • Frank - NB has had a booth at Maker Faire in the past
  • Pyconaut - I will be talking about that later.

Excellence[edit | edit source]

Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other. (On first Tuesdays, seek a few definitions. Other Tuesday, give a 1-3 sentence summary.)

What does that mean? Please see our page on excellence https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Excellence!

You can read more on our website about that

Anti-Harassment Policy & Community Standards of Excellence[edit | edit source]

Noisebridge has an Anti-Harassment Policy https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Anti-Harassment_Policy Everyone is expected to follow the Anti-Harassment Policy, please familiarize yourself with it.) TWO MINUTES MAX More approachable & specific guidelines, https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Community_Standards

Brief Kudos[edit | edit source]

Recent examples of excellent behavior, say 3, unless the passion moves you.

  • TJ - Shoutout to pyconaut for Maker Faire
  • Emeline - Kudos to TJ for running the AI meetup!
  • Mark - Kudos to Max for continuing to improve the shelves downstairs

Guilds[edit | edit source]

  • What are guilds - briefly describe (much like the previous section on "Excellence")
  • Mark - Games is now on Thursdays tentatively 6-8PM. Rotating 8 week make a game style and hop in whenever
  • Pyconaut - AV guild, will be working on AV stuff the next two weeks leading up to maker faire. As one of the leaders of neurotech guild, after maker faire i will be trying to start up the neuro guild again. I'm trying to get stuff going again
  • JD - there's a request from the 3D printing guild to put a lock on the secure the new printer. Precedent set that if the guild wants this, it's a done deal. The key will match the sewing room key
  • Emeline - We are getting a new 3D printer that is very expensive for context
  • Pyconaut - Will we move the regular printer outside
  • Emeline - it has already been moved
  • Emeline - Sewing guild, the sewing machine has disappeared. No one knows where it is. It was under the stairs, and then it was in the gaming area. It was for certain stolen at night. October 1st at 2:15AM. Someone stole a bunch of stuff from upstairs and downstairs. Missing iPad, missing pis, the usual kind of stuff that gets stolen.
    • Frank - do you think the thief might have wanted to scrap for metal?
    • Pyconaut - wasn't that on our dolly?
    • Loren - that's still there
  • Adding sewing 101s, and cloth
  • Loren - Access guild wants you to have RFID access to the space. If you were able to get in before, you will need to re-initialize. Ask Loren or Daniel.
    • Wyatt would like to talk to Loren about access
    • Current hours are 2-10PM. Frank: suggests 10-10 for ease of remembering.
    • Mark (strong wish for 8am-10pm) would like to have better access (8AM)
    • Moving to discussion
  • TJ - AI, more federated types of meetups. Specific meetups for specific types of things. A fellow bridger and I did a hackathon to make a following robot for a maker faire project potentially.

New Members/Associate Members[edit | edit source]

What are they? Is anyone trying to become a Member or Associate Member? If not move on. No long discussions.

Definition of Associate Member / Member

  • Jack - I am interested in becoming a member.
  • Mark - I thought we small-C consensed on having the application completed before the meeting.
  • TJ - What was the purpose of that?
  • Loren - Lots of people were getting a stamp, but we didn't really know who they are
  • Pyconaut - It also helps if you can learn a little bit about that person before the meeting
  • TJ - we actually concensed about a year ago that we won't be doing the questioning at the meeting for people.
  • Mark - trying to get an update on Claudia's membership status, if anyone has some info, let me know so we can reach out and sort it out.

Financial Report (first Tuesday of month only)[edit | edit source]

Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo.

  • Monthly revenue, expenses. Big projects. Big fundraising events. Reserves in bank.
  • Any other details by those participating in handling our financials
  • The latest financial reports from the treasurer are available at https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Finances
  • Emeline - It's bad. Find the breakdown on Slack. Benevity is the lowest it has been in a year. I'm guessing it's related to the tech layoffs. Stripe donations are down. Expenses are up, we have 9900 rent, utilities are flat. The 3D printer did come out at 1300, these are just costs that we are entering now. I redirected donations for the mural to the muralist (we received a little over 2000, and I wired 2000 for him less the paint). $9000 deficit :>.
  • Pyconaut - Are we able to estimate how many members are properly paying dues?
  • Emeline - We do, and we checked who was paying dues. As far as big -M members go.
  • Pyconaut - What's our account benefit look like?
  • Emeline - 140K in a Cd yields 4.5% interest. Usually our monthly deficit is about 2K. We have 270K on our main acct. We agreed on selling one of our 3 bitcoin.
  • Frank - to what extent is any of the crypto being used on occasional transactions as opposed to stored value.
  • Loren - I think it's much easier for us to have a custodial account. For the organization I think it matters more that we have something that will stick around. Ownership tracking.
  • Loren - what's the status of donations from Meetups
    • Woodshop, successful $15 fee
    • 3d printing, $20 fee
    • Elsewhere charging $60-80 for same things we offer.
    • Sewing - $500 / mo from meetups.
    • Classes
    • Electronics meetup, sells kits
    • Other meetups (w/o
    • Writers Workshop ~ $100/mo to us. Separate from NB memberships. Did $1,100 fundraiser.
  • Pyconaut - Any stats on materials usage?
  • Emeline - I am 99% that nobody pays to use the laser cutter
  • Pyconaut - We should try to highly encourage that like we used to. Another question is can we setup project-specific donations so people can donate to specific guilds or projects.
  • Emeline - We should be able to do that on paypal, but we will need to ask Loren
  • Emeline - I've noticed a lot of people haven't actually paid the full price for the laser class
  • Ben - I use the CNC a lot, but idk how much it costs to use electricity
  • Loren - Power is noticeably high, but it's only one concern.
  • Max - It's not just the electricity or equipment cost, it's the cost of the square footage to host the space.
  • Ben - I want to talk about JD and the space the Maslow is taking up

Spending Needs[edit | edit source]

Gotta spend money on XYZ (i.e. Gate, wiring etc.). WHO CAN SIGN THE CHECK OR LEND THE CREDIT CARD!?!?! It doesn't matter if we agree to do something and it can’t be paid for. Organizer / Pro account

Pro is $30 / month. Having Pro account would allow subgroups for each guild. Allows posts / notifications for different Guild events

Loren: Get it now, and offer to share use to split fee. Importance of events to activity, worth more to us than the difference.

Can also tell which guilds yield which money

No one opposes getting pro.

pyconaut : Need to get payment for Opensauce. Maker Faire shouldn't be as expensive. Flaschen Taschen was reason for most of expense. Haven't confirmed if anything we need to bring ourselves. Maker Fair should be lower cost

Emeline : Can we sell stuff , get donations?

pyconaut : we are allowed to sell things, can confirm with them what is allowed and what isn't

Maker Faire ok with donations. Can't directly sell stuff, but can ask for donations / give items

Emeline : Stripe released tap to pay on iPhone, 10c / authorization, might be worth for Maker Faire

Loren : Have another light up here. Cost?

Emeline: I can donate lights ourselves.

Fundraising Update[edit | edit source]

How's it all going

Do fundraising when Great Highway closes?

People are not paying for Club Mate, major expense.

Suggestion by Lauren to have snacks available , on donation basis

About $600, can tap to pay, door will open (like vending machine)

Mark; Part of discussion item for "clean shit up". I have ideas

Pyconaut: Sliding scale for different income levels

Big C Consensus Items[edit | edit source]

Nobody likes 3 hour meetings, only explain if people ask. https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Current_Consensus_Items

Consensus Items [edit | edit source]

Only for talking about Big C consensus items, small c consensus items should be discussed with people at the space at the time of the change/new item.

Discussion[edit | edit source]

Discussion Item 1[edit | edit source]

Open hours - door access policy specifically.

  • Pyconaut - with door access, if we advertise earlier hours, people might come for earlier hours, depending on the group. Most classes are in late afternoon, but some people like working in the morning. General hours at the old space were 10AM to 10PM.
    • Loren - what's a good way to get feedback from people on what times?
    • Pyconaut - suggests polls on discord and in person
    • Loren: web reporting and access.
  • TJ - maybe moot point. Key is distribution (of access).
    • Loren - still worried about shed reliability, but thinking about this.
    • Wyatt - I would be hesitant to spend my time to come here if I wasn't sure it was going to be open or not.
    • Some kind of live self-reporting.
  • No objections to 10am opening time.
  • Max - looking for update on how closing at night is going, regarding the recent theft
  • Emeline - uncertain, we're trying to figure out. We slipped as to how careful we are as to closing the space at night

Discussion Item 2[edit | edit source]

Maker Faire

  • Pyconaut - putting up volunteer application form later tonight. Will be sharing how many passes and discounts we have. I would like to hear from the different groups that would like to have stuff shown. Probably getting 10*20sqft. We might be getting extra space for the Bay area makerspace booth. If you'd like a guild item there, but cannot attend, please show me how to run it in the next few days.
    • Emeline: 3d printing is bringing Bambu (X1).

Pyconaut : see #maker-faire channel on Slack and Discord. Also DM me @pyconaut on both. If you visit others, bring any flyers/pamphlets to me so I can have a Find-a-Hackerspace. Prevent last-minute planning, ask for money for ink printing these. Booklet will be 50+ pages, I'll print three of them. Print it myself, very cheap. ($30). Show up Sycamore for Bay Area Makerspace meeting this Thursday 6 PM.

  • Eugene/discord: Who is contact at Makerfair for the booths?
    • pyconaut: no single contact, through Makerfaire itself. Have direct contact with Dale Doggerty? (will respond to that)

Mark: Can you include carpooling in volunteer sign-up sheet? Focus on that / getting groups of people on the same page / ready to go

Discussion Item 3[edit | edit source]

Clean up shit (and vending machine).

  • Saturdays
  • Vending machine?

Max: wants a Schedule : People who care about the space to get stuff done - So no stepping on toe

  • 9:30 morning cleanup. Max, Mark, TJ expressed interest, intent to join.
  • Mark: wants to take over management of a new fridge, and project: noisebridge snackbar.
  • Pyconaut: Could partner with companies to get highly discounted snacks. I have some contacts for that. I will work with Mark on that.
  • Mark: In the interrim between Saturdays, what can we do to keep Noisebridge upkept? One of the things I would like to do is keep the patio nice
  • Loren: Kudos to rrmutt for taking out trash. Related, I would like to give member appropriate access purposes to teacher roles even if they are not donating members.
  • Wyatt - I cleaned the music room this week. There was some trash on the table, how long should I wait before throwing it out?
  • Loren - downstairs by the hack shelves we have limbolandia. That is a good place for it. We are in need again with resources for the space. We are sort of it a pivoting point.
  • Mark - Let's work on that on Saturday, or tonight!
  • Frank - when things are overfilled, do the collectors come and pick up extra bags?
  • Pyconaut - the one thing about getting rid of stuff. Please don't arbitrarily put stuff on Do Not Hack.
  • Use new red fence space farthest from drop.
    • Guild logo.

Do-ocratic Task Board[edit | edit source]

Participation also means doing stuff to contribute to the space. Propose new tasks or pick some tasks from Github, from what needs to be done around you, or whatever, and see if someone will sign up to work on that task. Anyone can sign up and it's a great way to show you are contributing!

End of Meeting[edit | edit source]

Note taker posts the notes[edit | edit source]

  • Clean and tidy the meeting notes including removing all these really verbose instructions.
  • Fill out the short summary at the top listing just announcements, consensus items, discussion topics, and names of new members and philanthropists.
  • Copy paste the notes to the next meeting page. (They will become Last meeting at midnight.) https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Last_meeting&redirect=no
  • Email the meeting summary to Noisebridge Discuss and Noisebridge Announce lists.
  • CC on the email treasurer@noisebridge.net and secretary@noisebridge.net if there are new members and philanthropists.
  • Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week.
  • Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week.

Fun things to do after[edit | edit source]

  • Do a 10 minute cleanup, bring dishes up stairs and wash them, clean the bathroom
  • Have some beers on the patio
  • Prepare the next weeks' meeting notes
  • Lick the walls. Or just draw on them
  • sing the Hackernationale (this almost never happens)