Noisedroid is an Android build for the HTC G1 ("Googlephone").
2009-02-17 After a weekend of hacking, the upstream sources build and can be installed (shot 1, shot 2) on a commodity G1 rooted with the engineering bootloader. GL-ES is done in software instead of using hardware acceleration, so the UI is pretty unusable. The Bluetooth and wifi drivers are missing.
2009-03-15 Another productive weekend, built and running more tip-ish kernels and TI wlan driver to give a working WiFi interface; phone calls, GL-ES accelerated drawing, and Bluetooth are all working.
- Update this document
- Android built using best available free software (but more Ubuntu than Debian -- if free software doesn't work well enough, use the proprietary while helping the free software improve.)
- Reproducible, documented, build processes.
- Make it easy to use your own IMAP, XMPP, calendar, and other servers, using encrypted network protocols whenever possible, as first-class citizens in the Android environment.
- Tor mode for anonymized networking.
- Easy tethering over USB, Bluetooth, and wifi.
- Documenting Android and working with the G1 for non-Google non-Android free software hackers.
- Make phone system image (with appropriate SIM) compatible with OpenBTS