- Configure a x86_32 Ubuntu 8.10 or Debian 4.0 host with at least 20GB of disk space.
- download sources according to http://source.android.com/download, install needed packages, etc
- build for Dream (the internal name for G1) according to http://source.android.com/documentation/building-for-dream
- after make completes you'll have a built tree in out/target/product/dream, and you can run
# fastboot flash boot boot.img # fastboot flash system system.img
Working with the G1
- TODO: how to root a retail G1
There are two significant host apps for (ab)using the G1: fastboot and adb. Fastboot is used to write over USB to the G1's flash, for example to flash a complete system.img or replace the T-Mobile splash screen. adb gives you access to a debug root shell on the G1 with adb shell, and also "syslog" with adb logcat.