|Noisebridge | About | Visit | 272 | Manual | Contact | Guilds | Resources | Events | Projects | 5MoF | Meetings | Donate | E|
|Resources | Where to find things | Network | AV | Audio | Library | Servers | Printers | Sustenance | Edit|
|Library | Digital Archivists | Bookscanner | Bookshelf Flaschen LEDs | Edit|
You are standing at the Library bookshelves in Noisebridge.
You see bookshelves with many books. You see a book scanner.
|Noisebridge Library is a collection of physical and digital books you can read, donate to and help organize.
|RECRUITING! Maintainer volunteers wanted, consider volunteering to become a maintainer. Edit|
- 1 About the library
- 2 Library: What's the point?
- 3 Searchable Catalog / library-org
- 4 Probably outdated information
- 4.1 What can I do?
- 4.2 Other Hackerspaces with Libraries
- 4.3 Bookshelf Directory
- 4.4 Hacking the bookshelves
- 4.5 Finding Books
About the library
The library can be found in the upstairs hallway of 272 Capp, across from the sewing and electronics rooms.
It is currently in a state of advanced disarray following the move; see this Discuss post for ways to help but mainly right now we just want to put all of the books into broad categories and get them neatly on shelves.
We have an electronic library catalog at https://library.noisebridge.net/ but it's probably badly out of date and since everything is in piles right now it won't help you find things anyway. Help wanted.
Library: What's the point?
There's already a public library!
Since there's a public library, we're going to focus on books that fill the needs of people using the space right now.
Anyone can access what they want over the internet almost all the time!
If electronic books are already accessible, we can focus on the people who would still prefer to use a paper copy.
A more refined goal:
The mission of the library is to serve technical or hacker-y literature to people in Noisebridge right now.
How do we get there? Quantify, Expand, Prune!
- First: Know what books we have. (in progress)
- Second: Create a process to acquire books that fill the library's mission. (we need a lot)
- Third: Prune our shelves a bit. Bring the average usefulness up. (needs work)
Searchable Catalog / library-org
We keep an online catalog of books in a LibraryThing collection: https://www.librarything.com/catalog/noisebridge/yourlibrary
- search - substring search by title, author, subject, or a number of other fields
- explore - see a list of all books, ordered by title, author, publication date, or entry date
- connect - Click on a particular book or author to see more information about them, collected by other users in the LibraryThing network
- new - add a new book (must be logged in to the Noisebrdige account to do this! Ask Liz Henry or Milo Kim for the login info)
See the LibraryThing homepage for more info about its capabilities: https://www.librarything.com/
How To Scan Books Into LibraryThing
- Install the LibaryThing app on your mobile device
- Go from the app’s main page to “Add to Catalog”
- Check the book to see if it has a barcode you can scan. It should be either on the back, or (more rarely) on one of the inside covers. If it is, go to step 4. Otherwise, skip ahead to step 7
- Go from “Add to Catalog” to “Scan” by hitting the barcode symbol in the top right corner
- Move your camera so that the book’s barcode is in the box. You should see a new entry with the book’s title pop up; as soon as you do, move quickly on to the next book. You can scan multiple books at once this way, so I usually just line up several books side-by-side and scan them all in quick succession.
- Warning: the scanner can be EXTREMELY finicky and sensitive, so you might end up making duplicate entries of the same book by accident. From the scanning page, go to “Review” and check that you only scanned the books you wanted to scan; if there are any new duplicates or other bad entries, swipe left on them to delete them.
- If the book doesn’t have a barcode to scan, it should usually still have an ISBN number (a 13-digit code, sometimes with an ‘X’ appended to it) written on the back cover (or at least the copyright page). Enter that into the search bar at the top of the “Add to Catalog” page, select the entry that looks like your book, and hit “Add to Catalog”.
- All done! Your book(s) is/are now saved in the LibraryThing catalog.
As of July 2022, much of the information we have about the library is severely out of date, both in this wiki and in LibraryThing. Milo Kim is starting an initiative to re-catalog all the books and organize them into helpful categories. Right now, you can help by picking a shelf to work on (the physical shelves should still be labeled #1-10, starting with the shelves closest to the lounge), putting your name here, and then scanning each book on that shelf into LibraryThing by following the steps above.
Shelves to Catalog
- Milo - cataloged 7/2/22
- Milo - cataloged 7/16/22
- Milo - cataloging as of 7/18/22
Probably outdated information
|This article seems to be really old or very much out of date, and may contain wrong info.
The below information is from the old space at 2169 Mission. Someone should probably go through and clean this up at some point.
Wiki-tip: You can check its history to see when it was last edited.
What can I do?
Lots of help is needed! There are 3 major things to do:
- Initiative 1: Improve the collection: Collect sets of topic books from experts and source these books
- Initiative 2: Add "topic"-based color on spine labelling system to library
- Initiative 3: Improve  
Things To Do
Initiative 1: Source New Books
- Are you really good at something or reasonably well read? Make us a list of must-have books!
- Add themed lists here: []
- You can help acquire books by sourcing books on these lists!
- Don't subtract them from the lists, we can make a system for checking them off
- Who will give us great books? Anyone. Mailing list?
Initiative 2: Label by topic!
- Label all books already in library-org with subject "color" on the spine.
- Add: moveable magnetic labels you can slide paper into
Initiative 3: Improve library-org
- library-org is a Flask app
- Current capabilities: receive new books, substring search, add location to each book, register new locations.
Other Hackerspaces with Libraries
- Hackerbot Labs Koha?
- ACKspace List in a Wiki
- Bridgewire Dead Tree setup
- Garoa Hacker Clube Koha
You can find where various categories of books are found by checking out the visual directories posted on the two main shelves.
The files for these directories with editable form fields:
Hacking the bookshelves
The bookshelves have LEDs that operate on the flaschen-taschen protocol. Learn more here.
How many books do we have right now?
A book barcode scannning effort was performed in October-December 2015 using noisebridge-bookscanner.
1657 books have been ingested into library-org using Open Library
IMPORTANT: If you do any of the work below, be sure to update the list to remove the ones you added.
Here is a list of the barcodes that aren't yet in library-org. Each one represents an unknown book... please solve me.
[023472033055, 044903006998, 037145005997, 065373004994, 071001002751, 070999003955, 076783007505, 070999002958, 037145006994, 072742002253, 070999006994, 072742006992, 076814002950, 076714003958, 071831003959, 099455005951, 065373004994, 076783005952, 076714003507, 037145007991, 048228513476, 071001005998, 044903006950, 051488012955, 689253595350, 071136003951, 071149003955, 037145005997, 078073002252, 081262218570, 071001006995, 048228007951, 051857024954, 081262224052, 784376003680, 081262484203, 081262462904, 076714004993, 081262224496, 081262224038, 099751187405, 046363021214, 046363020170, 046363020187, 046363020200, 046363021016, 046363020194, 046363021108, 080742060227, 046363090760, 046363090753, 046363091163, 046363091125, 046363092139, 046363091262, 046363010607, 073999992922, 761941237640, 078814003999, 081262224519, 636920003625, 636920005407, 074470844600, 074470844600, 071009002753, 037038018950, 725274844609, 016067014959, 045863052469, 636920000204, 636920928430, 636920923121, 852766001568, 639785300564]
One way to solve these is to google the UPC individually and find the book it corresponds to. At least one of the books in here is available this way. Try to find out which one!!
Here is a list of ISBNs that aren't in openlibrary or library-org. The workflow to add these is to find them on amazon, type the data into OpenLibrary, then import the OLID into library-org.
['2900814757108'(Cannot find online 7-2-16),'9780439740685', '9783000502132', '6879909851426', '9780765353702', '9780765365385', '9780765368669', '9871565045062', '9780615314389', '9781424335114', '9780471932192', '9780558496180', '9781426206399', '9781847084798', '9780991516650', '9780991516667', '9780991516643', '9781935182801', '9780204964261', '9780141033303', '9780558585112', '9780536403124', '9780071215572', '9780495563327', '9780988628601', '9788466632195', '9781848840294', '9783826614507', '9780486493480', '9780486491172', '9780596520762', '9781434891471', '9781935551034', '9781408809785', '9781741047394', '9781741046731', '9780849762635', '9781484076002', '9781435117419', '9781590599938', '9180581583909', '9781936754076', '9782021190496', '9780985978839', '9780954734510', '9780557604142', '9780982634813', '9780486492964', '9780486491677', '9780486780849', '9780138440930', '9781118446713', '5486951682406', '9780124077263', '9780521636360', '9781443728836', '9780495439455', '9780486493367', '9780486493831', '9780521627276', '9780071798990', '9773540605295', '9781849687881', '9780982106013', '9781782166061', '9780977920150', '9789861371429', '9781604390094', '2900471629473', '9782021190496', '9781107407367', '9781401222765', '9789861371429', '9780465030798', '9780134770840', '9780536647368', '9781596914520', '9780072123692', '9781906332150', '9781401222765', '9780536860194', '9780486493572', '9780486780405', '9780307908292', '9781446525807', '9784756242730', '9781570272424', '9780982106013', '9780982106006', '9780982106006', '9781422466018', '9781439040379', '9788131726266', '9780822020646', '9789866805271', '9781405471923', '9781889307305', '9783826609268', '9781893007246', '9780137130481', '9781618650566', '2370000094384', '9780486492773', '9780986650208', '9780984563531', '9781428205987', '9780486781211', '9781451656299', '9783950237238', '9780393078145', '9780486471426', '9780558389093', '9780486492841', '9780312664800', '9781423958925', '9781426020773', '9781426020896', '9781426020728', '9780486499826', '9780486493510', '9781405473699', '9780486497389', '9780486780498', '9781118736067', '9781435442023', '9781422466032', '9780314939449', '9780486497372', '9781624072680', '9780132730358', '9781449393090', '9781482614374', '9780865716513', '9781934781869', '0671436724', '0899430767', '0822951185', '055583874X', '0929001037', '0873938551', '0394467442', '020156291x', '020103803x', '093237607x', '020112078x', '0471304158', '0075537834', '012460515x', '3540550753', '091489465x', '047021533x', '020115790x', '187870723x', '013699976x', '084937104x', '093717579x', '8477780021', '0568810741',]
These partial codes are not in library-org. They were in the original barcode scan. They represent books but are incomplete. They may be LCCNs.
['15444007', '5712914', '096167237', '06182138']
If you want to find good books for our shelves, go to the San Francisco Public Library Steps Sale every Wednesday 11 AM to 3 PM at the SFPL main branch (civic center). Books are on sale for $1 each.
==Books We Want!== (also we need more zines !)
People with experience and opinions about various topics can add recommendations below for books we should buy for the library.
There should probably be a fourth column indicating if we have the book or not.
Curated by: isis
|Handbook of Applied Cryptography||Alfred J. Menezes, Paul C. van Oorschot and Scott A. Vanstone||0-8493-8523-7 pdf|
|Guide to Elliptic Curve Cryptography||Darrel Hankerson, Alfred Menezes, and Scott Vanstone||038795273X pdf|
|Rethinking Public Key Infrastructures and Digital Certificates||Stefan Brands||9780262526302 pdf|
More Cryptography Stuff
Curated by: begriffs
|Calculus Vol 1||Apostol||978-0471000051|
|Calculus Vol 2||Apostol||978-0471000075|
|Principles of Mathematical Analysis||Rudin||978-0070856134|
|Real and Complex Analysis||Rudin||978-0070542341|
|Calculus on Manifolds||Spivak||978-0805390216|
|Counterexamples in Analysis||Gelbaum||978-0486428758|
|Linear Algebra Done Right||Axler||978-3319110790|
|Linear Algebra Problem Book||Halmos||978-0883853221|
|Counterexamples in Topology||Steen||978-0486687353|
|A Mathematical Introduction to Logic||Enderton||978-0122384523|
|Elementary Geometry from an Advanced Standpoint||Moise||978-0201508673|
|Introduction to Geometry||Coxeter||978-0471504580|
|Geometry: Euclid and Beyond||Hartshorne||978-0387986500|
|Surreal Numbers: How Two Ex-Students Turned on to Pure Mathematics and Found Total Happiness||Knuth||978-0201038125|
(observe the quotes...)
|The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable||Nassim Nicholas Taleb||Danukeru|
|Statistics Done Wrong: The Woefully Complete Guide||Alex Reinhart||Danukeru|
Curated by: Dakota
|Getting Started in Electronics||Mims III, Forrest M.||978-0945053286|
|The Art of Electronics||Horowitz, Paul||978-0521809269|
Books of Interest - Aestetix
Curated by: aestetix
|Godel Escher Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid||Douglas R Hofstader||aestetix|
|I Am a Strange Loop||Douglas R Hofstader||Danukeru|
|The Mind's I||Daniel Dennett, Douglas R Hofstadter||Danukeru|
|The Society of Mind||Marvin Minsky||Danukeru|
|The Emotion Machine||Marvin Minsky||Danukeru|
|The Art of Computer Programming||Don Knuth||aestetix|
|Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution||Steven Levy||aestetix|
|Ender's Game||Orson Scott Card||aestetix|
|The Code Book||Simon Singh||aestetix|
|The Annotated Turing||Charles Petzold||aestetix|
|A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man||James Joyce||aestetix|
|The Magus||John Fowles||aestetix|
|The Collector||John Fowles||aestetix|
|The French Lieutenant's Woman||John Fowles||aestetix|
|The Illuminatus! Trilogy||Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson||aestetix|
|Shrodinger's Cat||Robert Anton Wilson||aestetix|
|The Fountainhead||Ayn Rand||aestetix|
|Atlas Shrugged||Ayn Rand||aestetix|
|The Hacker Crackdown||Bruce Sterling||aestetix|
|I, Robot||Isaac Asimov||aestetix|
|Snow Crash||Neal Stephenson||aestetix|
|The Gold Bug Variations||Richard Powers||aestetix|
|The Codebreakers||David Kahn||aestetix|
|Gravity's Rainbow||Thomas Pynchon||aestetix|
|Little Brother||Cory Doctorow||aestetix|
|The Martian||Andy Weir||Danukeru|
Books of Interest - Mitch
Curated by: Mitch
|Infinite Jest||David Foster Wallace||Mitch|
|White Noise||Don DeLillo||Mitch|
|In Search of Lost Time||Marcel Proust||Mitch|
|The Sound and the Fury||William Faulkner||Mitch|
|Cat's Cradle||Kurt Vonnegut||Mitch|
|Witchcraft and the Gay Counterculture||Arthur Evans||Mitch|
|Foucault's Pendulum||Umberto Eco||Mitch|
|Quantum Psychology||Robert Anton Wilson||Mitch|
|In the Absence of the Sacred||Jerry Mander||Mitch|
|Dancer From the Dance||Andrew Holleran||Mitch|
|An Arrow's Flight||Mark Merlis||Mitch|
|To the Lighthouse||Virginia Woolf||Mitch|
|The Satanic Verses||Salman Rushdie||Mitch|
|Passage to India||E. M. Forster||Mitch|