- Comcast Cable (Only internet, no voice or tv service)
- Service is now live at 83C.
- $66.95 per month (After taxes COD at time of install is $169.21) - $3 modem rental per month
- No contract!
- Link speed is ~24Mbit down / ~5Mbit up. More testing during different times of the day would be useful.
- Wonderful quote from the service representative when asked about network filtering: "The network is filtered. Dynamic ips. Constantly flowing. Upgrading to static is possible through the business department."
- The direct line for the person who took the order is 1-925-349-3300 x644201
- Our confirmation number for this order is: 503691
- Speakeasy DSL (On a dry pair - Ordered for the (415) 864 area)
- Service has been delivered and installed at 83c
- Modem acts as a bridge straight into Speakeasy and comes with 1 static IP, 4 more for $20 per month.
- Currently 22.214.171.124
- $105.95 per month - ($99.00 install fee, first month free, hardware included - Paid by Jake)
- Link speed: 6Mb down and 768k up
- 12 month contract (25 day trial period), $300 fee if canceled in contract but outside of stated trial period.
- 1 static ip included
- The direct line for the person (Michelle) who took the order is 1-877-240-4821
- In the future, we can upgrade the DSL to the following:
- Kinda fast 8Mb down and 768k up. 149.95 per month. Hardware and inbstall waved.
- Super fast 10Mb and 1Mb up. 179.95 per month. Hardware and install waved.
- Local wifi link (TBD - no current ETA on install)
We need an antenna and a wifi access point that will uplink to our core switch (we need one of those too)
- Metro fiber
- jof called IPN for a rough estimate for construction of fiber to 83c. The sales representative's estimate would be between 90,000USD - 100,000USD for the initial buildout.
- Sonic.net ADSL2
We're on the waiting list for 18Mb/1Mb ADSL2 Sometime in the next year service will be available in San Francisco.
Currently this hasn't been very seriously researched
We may have line of sight to a node if we can bounce off of a local building. This hasn't been seriously researched. We may want to try to get roof access for antennas and should talk to our very quiet neighbors.
I was contacted by Matt Peterson about connecting. I would be happy to do a site survey to see if you can hit the SFLAN or City wirless deployment from the Valencia Gardens development. That could get you 40Mb/s up and down. - Tim Pozar
- Currently jof has configured a Soekris net4801 with pfSense (FreeBSD firewall distro) running NAT to several ports and a WRT54g
- Passwords to both devices are in an envelope in the closet in the fishbowl. Or if you are known within the group, ping jof
- Jake has donated a FON La Fonera router that has been liberated with a fresh DD-WRT install.
- A Ruckus Wireless ZoneFlex 2942 access point.
- Takes an 802.1q trunk (with POE!) over a single Cat5/6 cable, and can take up to 8 802.1q tags and broadcast an SSID for each tag. -- jof 00:51, 4 October 2008 (PDT)
- External IP is assigned via DHCP from Comcast on the Soekris box.
- Soekris is now updating a DynDNS domain for the WAN IP - comcast-sfo-noisebridge.dyndns.org -- jof 20:16, 3 October 2008 (PDT)
- cable.noisebridge.net should CNAME here as well.
- If modifying later, beware that Comcast will now only hand out a DHCP lease requested from 00:0A:E4:32:44:6E
- Internal subnet is 172.30.0.0/23
- Soekris box is at 172.30.0.1
- Linksys AP is at 172.30.0.2
- Cisco Router is at 172.30.0.3
- Ruckus AP (on 12th Ethernet port PoE) 172.30.0.5
- There are some existing Ethernet segments that you can patch into. If it has a number written in black marker on the outlet, this number corresponds to the outlet on the patch panel in the fishbowl closet.
Internal machines (with NAT addresses in 172.30.0.0/23) have names in the .noise pseudo-TLD. These names are managed on the Soekris in /etc/hosts (NOT in a zone file). After editing /etc/hosts, you can SIGHUP the dnsmasq process to trigger a reload.
The proper contents of /etc/hosts are currently:
172.30.0.1 soekris.noise soekris 172.30.0.2 linksys.noise linksys ap0.noise ap0 172.30.0.3 cisco.noise cisco sw1.noise sw1 172.30.0.5 ruckus.noise ruckus ap1.noise ap1 172.30.0.20 jukebox.noise jukebox stereo.noise stereo 172.30.0.21 xen0.noise xen0
If the pfSense box reboots, someone has to log in and copy'n'paste the above into /etc/hosts. Wheee.
- noisebridge - insecure, NAT to Comcast.
- nbsweden - insecure, NAT to Relakks. not yet functional. vlan 21.
- nbgermany - insecure, NAT to Germany via CCC. not yet functional. vlan 31.
- nbipv6 - insecure, IPv6 only. not yet functional. vlan 41.
- nbanonymous - insecure, transparent Tor. not yet functional. vlan 51.
- nbwpa - "secured" (so they say) using WPA. not yet functional. vlan 61.
- nblocal - insecure, local-only. No Internet route. not yet functional. vlan 71.