Disambiguation of this Slack from the Slackware Linux distribution's "Slack".
Slack for discussions/chat
Slack is accessible on the web, as well as via IRC or XMPP clients.
Who to invite?
Slack is for communication supporting Noisebridge the physical space. If you want to invite someone, they should satify the following:
- "Do you want to hang out with this person again?" and
- "Has this person been coming around for a little while?".
How to get on
Unlike Noisebridge's IRC channel, Slack requires an invitation to join. It's recommended that you meet up with someone knowledgeable in the space and talk to them about Slack, or if all else fails, request an invitation on Noisebridge-discuss.
Why slack? - replacement?
Some are not comfortable with slack as it is (add!):
- corporate entity
- not free
- archives and logs all messages and sends SMTP transcriptions by default to all users unless they otherwise select to disable that feature, which can be used in court. "Both the California Evidence Code and the Federal Rules provide that admissions by a party opponent do not constitute hearsay. (See Cal. Evid. Code § 1220; Fed. R. Evid. 801(d)(2).)." This principle is *anti-thetical* to PFS (Perfect Forward Secrecy) principles of robust secure communications methodologies and protocols.
- free open software
- stored messages
- realtime chat
- irc (not used, missing archive feature; [UPDATE: archival is a "mis-design" and bad for security, IRC can be logged as well read up on the /log feature in many popular clients, e.g. irssi.])
- SILC (end to end encrypted, free and open source, distributed or [multiple servers can share messages between each other providing message coherency to users more robust than "federated" services like Mastodon. Heavily audited and vetted by w00w00, Coverity, OpenBSD developers and more over the course of a decade+. PFS can be tuned to have arbitrarily slow or fast key rotations, messages from users are encrypted *from* the server eavesdropping as well, especially with use of private message signing.)
- PSYC2 (end to end encrypted, distributed, free and open source, multiple client implementations, the lead developer is excellent, worth looking into more deeply)
Digging in teh weeds
Unauthenticated profile image serving:
The last bit after the "-" is the image size requested, generally 48-512
Unauthenticated, non-domain restricted image proxy server: