Small Group Subproblems
Joe H proposed that we come up with some smaller problems that allow people to interactively solve them in short periods of time in ML meetups. We can construct a git hub project for them, create a skeleton project, and use issue tracking to list the problems and work on them. Here we list these problems and plan to build them out.
- Time Series Data (Erin)
- Rock Climbing (Joe H)
- Rock climbing data analysis
- Generate predictive system for how much someone should climb based on how they're doing that week.
- Noted that amount of deep sleep can be correlated to mood, which can be correlated to climbing.
- Suggestion: we all track one aspect of our daily routines and combine it into one big dataset.
- 4square Checkins (Joe H)
- Use 4square checkins to find out what would be the best time to visit a place in a region.
- Education Learning Problem (Tom)
- Determine how people learn over time.
- Figure out how difficult questions are, what kind of knowledge they test
- Determine how good are people at certain types of knowledge.
- Auditory Brain Cells (Mike S)
- Soon to be posted data on crcns.org of auditory brain cells.
- Figure out how to predict brain cell output.
- Deep Belief Networks for Images/Sounds (Mike S)
- Train deep belief networks on images, project output to monitor to see what network is "thinking"
- Do same for sounds
- Use auto-encoders to recall memories based on new input
- Kinects (Jared, Praveen)
- Get another kinect and do awesome shit with it.
- Music Recommendation System (Jared)
- Given different people in a space (who voluntarily "checkin"), and a jukebox, play music that appeals to their tastes.
- Hard part is data gathering
- Put together a github project
- Key is to have a bunch of projects going on at the same time so people can work on whatever they like at a given time.