Editing Social Engineers

Jump to: navigation, search

Warning: You are not logged in. Your IP address will be publicly visible if you make any edits. If you log in or create an account, your edits will be attributed to your username, along with other benefits.

The edit can be undone. Please check the comparison below to verify that this is what you want to do, and then save the changes below to finish undoing the edit.
Latest revision Your text
Line 1: Line 1:
= On hiatus until 22nd March 2012 =
 
 
== Technical Solutions to Social Problems ==
 
== Technical Solutions to Social Problems ==
  
 
+
<blockquote>
[[File:GHS-pictogram-acid.svg|120px|left]]<blockquote>
+
"You cannot apply a technological solution to a sociological problem." - Edwards' Law
"You cannot apply a technological solution to a sociological problem." - Edwards' Law<br>
 
  
 
"Every time I hear Edwards' Law, I reach for my gun" - the Noisebridge [[Secretaribot]]
 
"Every time I hear Edwards' Law, I reach for my gun" - the Noisebridge [[Secretaribot]]
 
</blockquote>
 
</blockquote>
 +
 
There are lots of fascinating challenges to running a hackerspace using the purest anarchist collective principles, many of which we appear (from the outside) to talk about endlessly. Some of them are actually *about* the need to talk endlessly.
 
There are lots of fascinating challenges to running a hackerspace using the purest anarchist collective principles, many of which we appear (from the outside) to talk about endlessly. Some of them are actually *about* the need to talk endlessly.
  
Line 14: Line 13:
 
We brainstorm and implement new software, hardware, and architecture that can support Noisebridge's unique social contract in the same way that almost all of the rest of our culture works to support _its_ definition of normality.
 
We brainstorm and implement new software, hardware, and architecture that can support Noisebridge's unique social contract in the same way that almost all of the rest of our culture works to support _its_ definition of normality.
  
You can meet with us on Thursday from 6.30pm onwards in the Library, or join the [https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/socialengineering socialengineering mailing list]
+
You can meet with us on Tuesdays from 7pm-8pm before the official Meeting in Turing, or join the [https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/socialengineering socialengineering mailing list]
  
 
Current facilitator for the Social Engineers is [[User:Malaclyps|Danny]].
 
Current facilitator for the Social Engineers is [[User:Malaclyps|Danny]].
  
=== Meeting 2012-05-30 ===
+
== Meeting on 2011-07-19 ==
  
This week's agenda:
+
Deeper (incomprehensible) notes here: [[Social_Engineers/2011-07-19]]
* Introduction to Consenso!
 
* Building a questionnaire for Noisebridge membership
 
* Field trip to machine learning gang
 
 
 
== Previous meeting archive ==
 
 
 
=== Meeting 2012-02-09 ===
 
So social engineering this evening concentrated on trying to define the problem
 
we've been discussing on nb-discuss these past few aeons, listed the
 
challenges, listed the aspects of Noisebridge we wanted to preserve, and then
 
went through the classes of proposed solutions, and how much we liked them.
 
 
 
What was the winner? The proposal we liked the most was putting into place a
 
keycode system (probably Kelly's hot-tub matrix), but not losing the key and
 
the buzzer for now -- and indeed a general encouragement to create as many
 
interesting ways of getting into the place as possible. Once we see how those
 
go as a temporary plan and see what the uptake is, the goal would be to turn
 
off the buzzer, but that would only be after more discussion and
 
experimentation.
 
 
 
I'll pass over to Kelly who I think is going to lead this as a spun-off project.
 
 
 
I'm not around for soceng next week, so feel free to use that meeting for this,
 
though I think it's big enough to spin out on its own.
 
 
 
 
 
==== The problem space ====
 
 
 
We seem to be worried about:
 
 
 
* Crazy people who come up and want to shoot everyone
 
* Burglars with swag bags
 
* Increased entropy in general (messiness, slacking instead of hacking)
 
* The public image of Noisebridge as not safe and a bit skeevy
 
* Some sort of uncool disaster
 
 
 
Challenges to any solution
 
 
 
* We are structure minimalists
 
* No clear dividing line between good crazy and bad crazy
 
* "Noisebridge is self-trolling and games ours own solutions"
 
* Hard to disseminate knowledge
 
* Hard to to enforce rules
 
 
 
==== Proposed solutions ====
 
 
 
(Pluses and minuses are strawpoll votes, D = doacratically doable, C = would require consensus in meeting)
 
 
 
D Improving self-policing through education ++++--
 
 
 
(ie having more direct explanation and role-playing of throwing people out, to get over our natural reticence to do so)
 
 
 
C A blanket access fee ++------
 
 
 
(ie $10 to get in the place)
 
 
 
D Always locking the top door ++-
 
 
 
(people seemed to think this was okay in combination with something else)
 
 
 
D Access code as supplementary system ++++++++-
 
 
 
(Kelly's system was discussed in detail, but this applied to any access system.)
 
 
 
C Access code as only system ++------
 
 
 
(We really didn't want to depend on a high-tech system. Wanted the keys to stay)
 
 
 
C Cutting the buzzer +++----
 
 
 
(Maybe in the future, once another access system had emerged.)
 
 
 
C Closing down at night ++----
 
 
 
(That's to say, NB ends at 11PM say)
 
 
 
C Members only at night ++++-
 
 
 
C Cellphone entry only +----
 
 
 
(Ie some sort of phone-door-opening triangle)
 
 
 
D Temporary versions of all above +++++
 
 
 
(Lots of support for trying stuff out, seeing what sticks)
 
 
 
D Concentrating on individual +++++
 
 
 
(Some support for working on preventing certain people, rather than just raising bar on access)
 
 
 
C Greylists/Blacklists ++++
 
 
 
(Some support for raising enforcement of Noisebridge's somewhat moribund greylits/blacklist proposal)
 
 
 
=== Previous Meeting ===
 
 
 
* Magnetic walls!
 
* Re-invigorating Horsy.
 
* Front door screen!
 
* Mutant AI!
 
 
 
 
 
=== Meeting on 2011-12-13 ===
 
 
 
Agenda:
 
 
 
* Talking about api.noisebridge.net
 
* Getting a basic issue tracker up
 
* Maybe hacking on getting an API to work for the Big LED board
 
* A Noisebridge MUD?
 
 
 
=== Meeting on 2011-12-06 ===
 
 
 
Just me and Kaya, so I worked on getting the gate buzzer to work.
 
 
 
=== Meeting on 2011-11-29 ===
 
 
 
We talked about the shop walls, and what worked and what didn't. In the end, it turned out to be more of a planning session for the next stage: Miloh planned to work with others on finishing up the classrooms (mudding + putting primer on it) so the electrics can go in next.
 
 
 
We brainstormed the needs for the issue tracker (or basically the things that online tools might be able to help with in the space). We also listed stuff that was and working with the wiki and mailing list.
 
 
 
==== What Works ====
 
 
 
The Wiki works fairly well in the following ways:
 
 
 
* generic repository for information
 
* a historical archive
 
* something with a reasonably low barrier to entry
 
 
 
==== Desires ====
 
 
 
* Triage and priorisation of issues and tasks.
 
  
* "Rolling consensus" (Miloh's term) outside of the meeting.
+
=== TODO Next week ===
  
* To stop projects going stale
+
* put shannon on the mailing list -- danny ✓
 +
* get google docs sent to the list -- signage -- liz
 +
* work out twitter -- miloh and danny
 +
* phone tree -- number you can call -- continue on socialengineering list
 +
* noiseatnight -- mailing list Mitch + Robert -- danny will talk to mitch ✓, ping rack
 +
* fix wiki spam - danny
  
* Store institutional knowledge
+
=== TODO in next month ===
  
* Create recurring todos
+
* superclean kitchen photo -- liz and will (who is organizing cleaning)
 
+
* yes/no strips down the stairway -- mct and danny
* Easy process for creating new prjects
+
* tools for searching wiki/mailing list
 
 
* A point of contact for events/projects
 
 
 
* Defining long term projects
 
 
 
* "Impending doom" highlighting -- fire safety, that the sink is going to fall off the walls at some point, earthquake prep
 
 
 
* Anticipating crises (maybe the same as above)
 
 
 
* Keeping noise off noisebridge-discuss
 
 
 
* Broadcasting to all our users
 
 
 
* Linking the online world to the realworld space, and vice versa
 
 
 
* Fundraising
 
 
 
* Encouraging new members
 
 
 
* Growing Noisebridge
 
 
 
* Providing an online identity for members
 
 
 
* Getting input from the space
 
 
 
=== Meeting on 2011-11-16 ===
 
 
 
Will talked about the cleaning experiment, and this was moved to the meeting.
 
 
 
We talked about soundproofing the shops and classes, and decided to do it Thanksgiving weekend
 
 
 
We talked about the next six months of soceng, and decided to concentrate on one project, to whit a karma and issue tracker for Noisebridge written in Ruby on Rails.
 
 
 
Incomprehensible notes at [[Social Engineers/2011-11-16]]
 
 
 
=== Meeting on 2011-07-26 ===
 
 
 
Scribbled notes at [[Social Engineers/2011-07-26]]
 
 
 
=== Meeting on 2011-07-19 ===
 
 
 
Deeper (incomprehensible) notes here: [[Social_Engineers/2011-07-19]]
 

Please note that all contributions to Noisebridge are considered to be released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (see Noisebridge:Copyrights for details). If you do not want your writing to be edited mercilessly and redistributed at will, then do not submit it here.
You are also promising us that you wrote this yourself, or copied it from a public domain or similar free resource. Do not submit copyrighted work without permission!

To protect the wiki against automated edit spam, we kindly ask you to solve the following CAPTCHA:

Cancel Editing help (opens in new window)