Technical Solutions to Social Problems
"You cannot apply a technological solution to a sociological problem." - Edwards' Law
"Every time I hear Edwards' Law, I reach for my gun" - the Noisebridge Secretaribot
There are lots of fascinating challenges to running a hackerspace using the purest anarchist collective principles, many of which we appear (from the outside) to talk about endlessly. Some of them are actually *about* the need to talk endlessly.
Noisebridge's Social Engineering group's motto is "A little less talk, a lot more evidence-based semi-autonomous behaviouralist actions."
We brainstorm and implement new software, hardware, and architecture that can support Noisebridge's unique social contract in the same way that almost all of the rest of our culture works to support _its_ definition of normality.
You can meet with us on Tuesdays from 7pm-8pm before the official Meeting in Turing, or join the socialengineering mailing list
Current facilitator for the Social Engineers is Danny.
Meeting on 2011-07-26
Scribbled notes at Social Engineers/2011-07-26
Meeting on 2011-07-19
Deeper (incomprehensible) notes here: Social_Engineers/2011-07-19
Meeting on 2011-11-15
- long-term planning for next few months of soceng
- talk about fixes for 311
- issue tracker for NB?
- lead into Meeting: working groups for NB?
Stuff we've discussed previously
- a door monitor to gather stats on visitors -- miloh, shannon, + mct
- happy stats working -- danny's plan to suck in some automated NB metric to determine how happy everyone is
- yes/no strips down the stairway -- mct and danny
- tools for searching wiki/mailing list
- improving signage at front of NB (partially done)
- phone tree -- number you can call -- continue on socialengineering list (done -- the Noisebridge 311 number)
- noiseatnight -- andy suggested firstname.lastname@example.org (done, though quiet)
- talk to kelly about treasurer tasks (done, needs writing up)
- cleaners (done - will running)