Out of hand
So I'm seeing edit wars and that sucks but there's kind of no option because there's no talk page and now there is so take it here, guys.
I'm wikitransposing a bunch of stuff from the articlespace to here because it's getting out of hand and crufty. Maybe we should start a new page called Beef, and you can just talk shit about people in the space or not in the space bugging you, either signing your posts or like an anonymous little coward. But at the beginning of this page it says, "This is a place to keep track of ... people who have been asked to leave Noisebridge ..." So for now, let's just limit it to that, yeah? If someone hasn't been explicitly individually asked to leave the space, please leave them off 85. As it is it's turning into a "people part of subcultures I don't like" page. 'Cause otherwise this thing is going to get ridiculous and way out of control, with oogles and other annoying individuals. And let's face it, in a place dedicated to people with limited social skills, almost everybody's a bit fucking annoying. <3
Some people seem to have gotten the impression Noisebridge is a 24-hour hangout and drop-in center, whether or not sleep is permitted. With refrigerators where you can leave your food.
The following people have used Noisebridge as a crashpad and the general sentiment seems to be that they are not making the space more Excellent.
- (edited by self) James Young (tall, goatee, black bandana)
- I have NOT been sleeping in the space. But I am a night owl.
- I; at heart; am a: Hacker, Scholar, Philosopher, Psychologist, Sociologist, Scientist, and anything else I choose to be.
- I did, essentially, plan to attend every class offered by the space, but, I have been very busy with other endeavors the space has assisted me with.
- I have purchased a Noisebridge T-Shirt to show my appreciation for what it stands for.
- I Have donated at least 4 lb.s of coffee. (n/m, i know) And bunch of tea that just disappeared.(I know it didn't go too far, lol.)
- I Also purchased dish soap twice now for the space at times when it was needed. (Again, wish it was more.)
- I have not used the space to store anything, less the projects I started, that were soon after, tossed or hacked by others.
- I squared off with Jon(athon) every step of the way as he made his attempts that ONE Saturday night, even when we all thought he really did have a gun. I stopped him from getting to the fire escape, restrained him with the help of Rayc and Derek to remove from him, his bags. Then I personally, and physically, removed him from the space via wrist/arm-lock and force.
- There was an incident where I had began to hack three old computer towers. After I was done for the night, I cleaned up, I put it all away. After only 12 hours, I returned to find that someone had taken up my hack and finished stripping most of it all that I needed, but they didn't clean up after themselves. So I not only lost my hack, I was blamed for their mess.
I DO try to associate with everyone, So guilty by lifestyle and association, I suppose. I am house-less, But I still have the passion to create, to learn, to dabble, and hack. I still know what respect is. Ending up on this list has halted my decision to join for the moment. I feel like I almost threw money away! I'm being called a Oogle? Excuse me, That is offensive! What happened to being excellent to each other?? -Jedi
(guy with cane who isn't Zack)
- Has not slept or stored stuff at the space in any way.
- Assisted with Removing Jonathon from the space
- Has been active in utilizing the space productively.
- Iraq War Veteran with two purple hearts. (edited by Jedi)
- That guy who all he ever does is play guitar
- This person's name is Niles, and when I spoked to him all he ever talks about is playing guitar. It is rather peculiar that he stays here every single night to play his guitar, and make food. In addition I haven't seem him do much else besides hang out in the exact same place in the library using his laptop or playing his guitar. (Rayc)
- He talks occasionally about circuit hacking, but he's also pretty good at shoplifting from Whole Foods. He's on speaking terms with a couple of people who frequent the space. He's not a menace but it's pretty clear he's just here for the wireless and free food in the evenings.
- He's ALWAYS in the chair next to the bookshelves in the middle of the space. Asian. Is doing something on his netbook with headphones plugged in. I bet he's there right now.
- HE NEEDS TO STOP LEAVING HIS GUITAR AND NETBOOK HERE LIKE THIS IS HIS HOME. He left both of them in the library again. - RAYC
- NYLE SAYS: sorry that I exist, I am a terrible, evil person that deserves to be shot in the head.
- firstly, the "free food" thing is a flat out lie. 98% of the food I eat at noisebridge is courtesy of the government. the other 2% of the food I eat is raw meat and rocks I find laying around on the street.
- I have donated almost 2 dollars to noisebridge and have taken care to wash my dishes, lift the toilet seat, and recycle.
- PROJECTS I AM CURRENTLY WORKING ON:
- -a collection of poetry and short stories in the form of a zine.
- -a vending machine costume.
- -repairing the pickup selector on my gtr.
- I have zero interest in hacking or tech toys made by child slaves in china. I will take my shit elsewhere and probably leave san francisco within the next 10 days.
- is usually seen in the kitchen. almost always wearing a 9/11 Truth Sheeple shirt.
- can be challenging to communicate with and has some unusual ideas, but enjoys discussing science and cleans the kitchen! She sleeps at a shelter and not Noisebridge.
Yogurt Container Man
- I forget his name. Nice guy, unshaven, pretending extremely hard to not be homeless, plays chess, is really handy at repairing the Occupiers clothes with a needle and thread or with the sewing machines. Stores random things in the shelves in the middle of the space.
- I realize it's hard to define 'hacking'. I'm not sure if I'm much of a hacker. All I do is show up for a couple of classes a week. Last week I showed some guy how to insert Debian Stable into his laptop. Am I a hacker? Not sure. But I'm pretty sure showing up every day at 6 and cooking up a mess of free food for the Occupiers is farther from the definition of hacking.
- User:Hurtstotouchfire 05:33, 12 February 2012 (UTC): This evening I met Amber and her friend Nick and talked with her about sleeping in the space. She says that she's new to the community and that there have been false rumors spread about her. I got her email address and will chat with her a bit more later either electronically or in the space. Update: talked to Amber a little more that evening. She said that she objected to someone waking a sleeper once because she had just given the sleeper in question a massage and he dozed off. It was 4 or 5am at the time. I suggested that 4am massages might be more appropriate for someone's house since they tend to lead to sleeping, and sleeping is a really touchy issue in the space right now. Amber is not on the mailing list and didn't know about the wiki or the tuesday meeting. I encouraged her to get involved if she wants to keep hanging around. She is keeping a personal supply of food in the kitchen, including a flat of eggs. I haven't looked all the way though it and I didn't ask her about it (maybe I should have). She told me that she was available for helping people with astrology and that she bakes pies in the middle of the night but didn't seem to be interested in any of Noisebridge's resources other than the kitchen, couches and wifi. She identifies as an occupier. She seems like probably a reasonably nice person but not especially interested in understanding the established community agreements about excellence. She seems to think all of her behavior is excellent. She seemed pretty annoyed at me by the end of our discussion. Rayc also spent much of the discussion pretending to be her lawyer ("My client..." jokes) even though I asked him to stop and pointed out that I'm not a cop and I'm not their mom, I'm just trying to understand what's going on at noisebridge.
- About 5'2", female, brown stringy shoulder length hair, mid to late 20s. Amber has by all accounts been bringing in new people to hang out on a regular basis. The primary attraction for said people seems to be her own prolific cooking and kitchen access in general, which makes their presence in general a non-benefit to the space. (Jesse Z.)
- Amber is an excellent person and she does not belong on the 85 page. It seems like your complaint with Amber is that she has friends. I have met her friends and most are good people. I had a talk with her the other day and told her to be careful not to bring anyone into the space who is not a creative/hacker type. She agreed to be mindful of the people she invites. I propose removing Amber from the 85 page unless there is some reason you can articulate that she should remain here. (Alan)
- Some people have friends. Some people do not have friends. who cares. Amber is one of the fundamental reasons Noisebridge is turning into San Francisco's newest homeless drop in center, with free wireless and a place to store your food and extra clothing, because of her. She needs to go.
- Amber is, by all accounts, dumb as nails. She should go on 86.
- For my money, I've articulated to others that Amber is not quite dumb as a gym sock. I think there's a reason she's become the de facto leader of the directionless: she has slightly more common sense and understanding of best practices for societal interaction than the rest of them, and plus her raging, incorrigible maternal tendencies. She just has an unjustifiably outsized estimation of her own abilities and a staggeringly profound lack of critical thinking. Maybe it would be an awesome class for Noisebridge and the community at large if someone wants to put on an Intro to Science and Logic course and invite Amber? I'm not joking; I think this, like the intolerably classist and condescending Science for Juggalos, would be an invaluable service for an increasingly scientifically illiterate electorate in an increasingly informationally complex world.
- It's quite possible she should just be asked to not come back, though.
- Skinnyish, slightly stooped, 50 years old, curly brown hair to the shoulders, wears a golf-style cap and black jacket with Noisebridge sticker. I have often heard him engage in loud arguments and also inappropriate discussions. I overheard him giving a tour of the space today where he explained that Noisebridge "used to be" about communications and technology, but now it's about Occupy and making food in the kitchen. He lives close by and has a key. James refused to attend a Tuesday meeting to explain himself. (Jesse Z.)
- His loud and inane discussions and conversations (usually on the politics of homelessness) have caused me to seek out a quieter place to hack on at least two occasions. (Jonathan T.)
Rayc lives at Noisebridge. He doesn't always sleep here, but when he does he feels entitled as fuck. He tells people he works for Noisebridge and thus is allowed to sleep here. He decides who else is allowed. He gives everyone tours, he's giving one right now as I write this, and as usual 90% of wat he is telling people is cringe-inducingly absurd bogus nonsense. He is frequently obviously under the influence of substances of the "upper" variety, and exhibits classic tweaker behaviors like constant reorganizing and "soldering" with plastic (making hella toxic fumes, wtf, please ask him to stop). Rayc obviously means well, but sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. Rayc should stop trying to improve Noisebridge infrastructure, stop giving tours, and generally LURK MOAR (aka stfu and chill the fuck out).
- I, for one, want to say I love rayc' tours. If you have a specific criticism, please mention it, so we can perpetuate awesome institutional culture for newcomers and learn from each other, but it seems to me that rayc always gives tours, when no one else is willing to, that, if nothing else, leave first-time visitors excited and inspired. Whatever other bullshit falls out of his mouth, who cares? People can figure out the rest for themselves, right? As long as they're here and willing to contribute and learn. And that's what rayc' tours do.
- Nile, is that you? I thought you were moving out of the space finally.
Look, I realize Amber, despite her protestations, was the catalyst for much of this. But, to my knowledge, she's never been escorted out of the space. Recently, in fact, she has been making an effort to be more productive, disavow her previous aquaintances, and integrate/interface better with the space. This has redeemed her in the eyes of some, but by no means all, regulars. So she dresses like a hippie and engages in logical fallacies when debating. If that's enough to not want her in the space, then grow a pair and ask her respectfully to not come back until the next Tuesday meeting. If not, then shut up and stop talking shit, or at least filling up 85 with rants.
Please only re-add someone if you know for a fact they've been asked to leave and have specifically refused or been escorted out. --Eric