The topic of "hiatus" is currently under consideration for changes. There is a thread on noisbridge-discuss where we are discussing changes. There will be a discussion of this item at the meeting on Feb 7, 2012. The results of our discussion will be up for consensus on Feb 14, 2012. Our current understanding is below.
Outline of existing practices
Reasons for Hiatus (in order of frequency)
- Cannot afford dues for x period of time (where x may be unbounded)
- Do not wish to participate officially in Noisebridge for personal reasons
Communication about Hiatus
- Sometimes people do not communicate their intended hiatus to anyone. This is distinct from people who cease paying dues without consciously intending to go on hiatus.
- Most people email the treasurer. Usually they include an apology/excuse/explanation. Sometimes they include a time period. If they leave either one out, Kelly asks them, but previous treasurers may not have.
- Most people currently on hiatus do not respond to contact about their status.
- Most people have not terminated their hiatus to date.
- People usually terminate hiatus because they want to participate in a specific consensus or get a discounted membership at techshop.
- Hiatuses that are terminated appear to have no pattern in time length.