What's in the neighborhood around 2169 Mission?
Mi Ranchito Produce & Carnecería is located directly below Noisebridge, or, rather, Noisebridge is located directly above it. It is open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. 7 days a week. As its name implies, in addition to a reasonable selection of produce and albarrotes, there is a butcher counter in the back. For a cheap snack you can get pan dulce, 3 for a buck - Mexican pastries, cookies, rolls and småkaker. They also, among their produce and Hispanic groceries, have a decent supply of typical snack/junk food, as well as an impressive selection of Latin American pop, including the world's best apple soda, Pepsi's entry into the market, Manzanita Sol, and now Toronja ("Grapefruit") Sol, a competitor to another soft drink popular in Mexico, Squirt.
There's a liquor store across the street, just past Sycamore, at 2128-2130 Mission. I'm pretty sure they're open 24 hours; if not they're open later than pretty much everyone else. They accept credit cards but charge a dollar per transaction, even though that contravenes the Merchant Agreement every vendor must sign with Visa and MasterCard. Despite the sign out front don't expect to find any actual groceries here. Lots of heavily processed junk food and delicious cheap alcohol. A dangerous place to find myself when I've got the munchies.
Rainbow is is a co-op grocery store run on many of the same principals as Noisebridge. It's, like, three blocks down and a couple blocks over. They have lots of sustainable foodie type stuff, bulk food, health supplements, natural body care products, etc.
- 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- 1745 Folsom St.
Noisebridge is of course located in the birthplace of the Mission burrito, with an abundance of Mexican places in the area, but there are many different restaurants within walking distance of the space.
Really nice gastropub with yummy sliders (mini-burgers), roast beef sandwiches and pork b.elly donuts. Does takeout!
- 2140 Mission (between 17th & 18th)
- Open daily from 11:30 a.m. - midnight
- Kitchen hours: 11:30 a.m. - 10 p.m. Mon-Thu, 11:30-midnight Fri-Sat
- Happy Hour: 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. - dollar off drafts
- free wifi (password: 4152527704 )
A tiny place, maybe six or eight seats at the counter, that's it. Almost as many Burmese grandmothers working behind the counter. Some of the food is great. Rubin's favorite: #10, Mango Chicken, $5.25 (and maybe a coconut for $2.50).
- 3406 18th St (between Mission St & San Carlos St) Map
- (415) 553-8911
- Mon-Thu 10:30 a.m. - 9:30 p.m.
- Fri-Sat 10:30 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
On South Van Ness and 18th, good burgers and fries.
Organic Japanese, is across the street on Mission street. Vegan friendly.
Almost directly below 2169 on the corner of 18th and Mission Street. Vegan friendly.
Good cheap mexican, on Mission just south of 18th.
Another taquería, excellent Mission-style burritos.
Vegan food nearby.
A few doors to the north of Noisebridge, at 2141 Mission:
- 2nd floor, Ste. 202
- "Mostly hardbound fiction," sf + fantasy section, but also some interesting non-, a few cool older books about computing (i.e. not manuals), philosophy, history etc.
- 3rd floor, Ste. 300
- American social movements, etc.
- 3rd floor, Ste. 301
- Libros de México, Centro- y Sudamérica y el Caribe
- Books from Mexico, Central and South America, and the Caribbean
- Art, literature, photography, environment, immigration, history, religion, archaeology, sexuality
- Ephemera, rare, new, used, antiquarian
- We take requests.
On 16th between Mission and Valencia:
- 3166 16th St.
- (415) 864-3936
- Used books
- 3080 16th St.
- (415) 863-2755
- Used books
And on Valencia between 16th and 17th:
Dog Eared Books
- 900 Valencia St.
- (415) 282-1901
- Used books
- 866 Valencia St.
- (415) 824-8203
- Science fiction and fantasy
- 766 Valencia St.
- Sat-Sun, noon - 5 p.m.
- Zines, literary ephemera
Most of this info is courtesy of Joe from Valhalla.
Hardware and Related
- Lasts Paints Not a good range of supplies, but two doors away.