[Cyborg] Fwd: [Noisebridge-discuss] Re: March Digikey Bulk Order

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 23 14:15:29 PDT 2009

Thanks for the link to SchmartBoard, Lukas.  Just last night I was wanting =
to order a PCB that could accept SSOP and bring out the pins to pads on the=
 board.  The PCBs available from these folks look really cool!  They have g=
rooves in the solder mask to make it super simple to place SSOP chips so th=
ey solder down very easily.  I don't know if they have solutions that make =
the compass chip easy.  But I ordered 10 of the 72-pin 0.5mm pitch SSOP boa=
rds:

http://www.schmartboard.com/index.asp?page=3Dproducts_so&id=3D61

I don't need all 10, but they were cheaper that way.  If anyone would like =
one, please let me know.

 =

Mitch.

 =

 =

--------------- =

> [...]

> =

> $9, but I think it's the wrong board.
> =

> it *says* PLCC-20, but the pin spacing is 0.05", (1.27mm) whereas we =

> need 0.5 mm spacing according to the datasheet for the HMC5843. I'm =

> starting to wonder if the datasheet is wrong, as every other source I've =

> found says 0.05" for the PLCC, but honeywell claims 0.5mm.
> =

> The other PLCC-20 smt adapter board that I have also has an incorrect =

> pin spacing in inches, so I'm left wondering what the hell honeywell is =

> doing, seeing as what they're calling PLCC has nothing to do with what =

> the rest of the world does. (PLCC, plastic leadless chip carrier)
> =

> I'll try and make an adapter board in eagleCAD tonight and submit it for =

> folks' inspection. =

> =

> =

> Finally, here's someone on sparkfun trying to use the chip with no love:
> =

> http://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?p=3D68979#68979
> =

> I'll hopefully get a response back from him, as he's successfully =

> mounted the chip, even if he can't use it correctly.
> =

> Lamont Lucas wrote:
> >
> > Please add one more to the order for me, and I'll work with you on =

> > surface mounting the thing. I have a hot-air rework station that will =

> > be useful for undoing whatever we mess up. I've used a toaster oven =

> > for SMT reflow, but I'd like to do this with a regular hot-plate, as I =

> > think that method is superior.
> >
> > We'll need to either order an adapter PCB for the PLLC-20 (aka =

> > LPCC-20), or make a custom one. The board I have from sparkfun for =

> > the Honeywell HMC1052L is a 4 pin-per-side 16-pin-LLC. I'm capable of =

> > designing and ordering the adapter board, but I wouldn't get a chance =

> > to do it till tuesday night at the earliest, and I'm out of town for a =

> > week starting friday.
> >
> > This solderless socket might help with the prototyping: =

> > http://www.chiptool.net/adapter/plcc-1.htm
> >
> > That 1052L chip, by the way, I spent the weekend trying to use. =

> > Unlike the HMC5843, the HMC1052L requires a 400 mA pulse for 2 uS to =

> > clear out any lingering magnetic fields, which requires an h-bridge or =

> > at least a totem-configured pair of FETs. I started wiring it up, but =

> > after I've added an h-bridge chip, 2 capacitors, two resistors etc, =

> > the resulting cost and bulk make me think that I should have just =

> > started with the $19 5843, rather than "saving" via the $8.50 1052L.
> >
> > That BUB board looks nice, although I'm still super happy with my FTDI =

> > cable, just for compactness's sake.
> >
> > Adam Skory wrote:
> >> I want to order two of the HMC5843 3-axis compass chips in the hope
> >> that someone will help me figure out how to surface mount the damned

-hmc5843.html =