[Cyborg] ICA Talk on 11/3/2010?

Mike Schachter mike at mindmech.com
Fri Oct 22 00:14:35 PDT 2010

Hey there,

The Noisebridge Cyborg people brought up an interesting
advance where researchers figured out how to measure
human heartrates via a webcam:

You can find the paper here:

They seem to do this by:

 1) Using OpenCV to identify faces and regions of interest (see
     opencv object

 2) Once a region of interest is identified, they use independent
     component analysis (ICA) to separate out the signals from the
     webcam images, pick out the signal most correlated to blood flow,
     and predict heart rate from that.

I'm kinda interested in learning more about their technique and wouldn't
mind given a presentation on the paper and a high level overview of how
ICA works, as soon as the Wednesday after this one. Anyone interested?

Also - I know we have at least one regularly attending opencv buff - would
you like to give a short presentation on opencv's object recognition then
*cough* Micah *cough*